Corrosion on 594 chrome pickup covers?

This.

If you have acid hands it's really easy to pick out the fakes because the fake acid vapor aging some people use comes out too even or too splotchy. See it waaaaaaay too much with brass saddles on teles.
Same with the fake finish cracking. On a real vintage guitar it’s pretty random, and is usually different everywhere on the guitar.

Thanks for the response as I was not aware of the distinction between nickel and chrome. All of my previous guitars had uncovered pickups and black hardware (Jackson and Ibanez). Yes, I use Blue Magic. It cleans it up a bit but the haze returns very quickly.

With so many other PRS guitars out there with nickel covers, how exactly are people caring for them such that they always look pristine? Other than wiping down with a microfiber cloth is there a protective coating or some thing that helps?
I totally understand. I have very dry hands, unfortunately (they're so dry that my fingers crack and bleed in winter!) so my pickup covers never tarnish. I've never polished the ones on my 8 year old McCarty Singlecut, yet they still look new. Go figure!

However - and this is just a wild guess - what if you put a very light coat of wax on them after polishing? I can't think that would hurt.

I do agree with jak that it's all about body chemistry.

This is so true. At one time I was into ‘must look new’.

While my guitars still do, because my hands are so dry they don’t leave shmootz, I can really appreciate a genuine patina now.

Though I also think ideally it should be honest play wear, not faked by a relic-ing process. But that’s a personal thing, and what other folks like no longer bugs me.
Well, if I suddenly see the name "Shmootzless" on the forum I'll know who it is.

I've been using Simichrome also on covers. Since I live in a dry climate and put humidity packets in the cases I've noticed that the covers will sometimes have a bit of haze to them. Every guitar has a Griots cloth in the case to wipe down before going to sleep.

Well, if I suddenly see the name "Shmootzless" on the forum I'll know who it is.

I've been using Simichrome also on covers. Since I live in a dry climate and put humidity packets in the cases I've noticed that the covers will sometimes have a bit of haze to them. Every guitar has a Griots cloth in the case to wipe down before going to sleep.
I'm a simichrome guy too

Some quick work with a two sided jewelry polishing cloth and the pickup covers look a lot better. Not new, but significantly less grimy. There is still a bit of a haze. In the end, it is an improvement which will keep me grabbing one of my favorite axes throughout the day. Thanks for all the suggestions!

The bridge on my custom 24 is pretty tarnished. Now I'm wondering if that's how it came from the factory or if it tarnished over time. I bought the guitar used, and it's been like this as long as I have had it.

I never thought I'd like tarnished hardware, or gold hardware for that matter, but I love the aesthetics of this guitar. Definitely leaving it how it is

The bridge on my custom 24 is pretty tarnished. Now I'm wondering if that's how it came from the factory or if it tarnished over time. I bought the guitar used, and it's been like this as long as I have had it.

I never thought I'd like tarnished hardware, or gold hardware for that matter, but I love the aesthetics of this guitar. Definitely leaving it how it is
They come shiny from the factory. Some are plain aluminum, some are nickel or gold plated, so it depends on the materials used on yours.

If you have gold hardware and see 'tarnish' that's where plating wore off, because gold is inert and doesn't tarnish. You can bury gold in the ground for 5,000 years and it will still be golden when archaeologists dig it up.

Just depends on your body chemistry. Some folks corrode strings fast, and the same applies for the pickup covers. Plus, if you live in a very humid climate that will accelerate it.
My body chemistry is like salt and vinegar chips plus chocolate chip cookies. Would I make a good pairing with nickel?

Back