Core Silver Sky vs SE Silver Sky

At full price, it would be the SE all day for me. But when I see a used Core SSs listed at <=$1700 or so, I have a harder time with the SE value proposition, even when the use SEs have come down to <$600...

How good is the SE SS? I would have grabbed a core SS by now but I just can’t get down with the 7.25” radius. I already have several great Strats but I am curious about the Silver Sky. Thanks!

How good is the SE SS? I would have grabbed a core SS by now but I just can’t get down with the 7.25” radius. I already have several great Strats but I am curious about the Silver Sky. Thanks!
That's why I bought two SE Silver Skys: I prefer the neck, frets and fingerboard of the SE. It's flatter and note bending is easier and fret out on wide bends is minimized.

I put different sets of great pickups in them so they each sound a little different, and IMO they keep up with the CORE Silver Skys I compared them to just fine.

I am going to upgrade to locking tuners tho.

Try out a bunch of SE's and listen to them unplugged and plugged in.

Take your time and buy the best one.

That's why I bought two SE Silver Skys: I prefer the neck, frets and fingerboard of the SE. It's flatter and note bending is easier and fret out on wide bends is minimized.

I put different sets of great pickups in them so they each sound a little different, and IMO they keep up with the CORE Silver Skys I compared them to just fine.

What pickups did you end up going with in the SE?

What pickups did you end up going with in the SE?
First, Duncan Antiquity Surfers, which I love and are a lot like the pickups in the Core Silver Sky.

Those are great pickups but they have raised and staggered polepieces and the SE fingerboard is flatter than a 50's or 60's Strat.

So I discovered Mike Gray and his Chubtone pickups that he winds in Austin. People rave about them on the Seymour Duncan Forum and GearPage.

I put a set of Chubtone 61's in one guitar, and what Mike calls his El Gordo pickup set in my other SE.

The El Gordos are slightly overwound.

The Chubtones are very slightly underwound (6K) but they sound fat and smooth. No brittle sharp glass shards in the tone at all.

It's amazing how wonderful the SE sounds for such an affordable guitar. I've gotten endless use out of mine!
Absolutely!

And it's also a great platform if you want to hot rod it someday and really make it your own.

I changed the SE pickups to '61 style Chubtones in mine and I prefer the smoother tone.

Wasn't a must tho. The SE Silver Sky pickups are good!

Might be just me but I tried a SS SE and just did not like the feel. have a few PRS guitars, but for some reason I didnt warm up to the SS SE

This has been discussed already on this older thread and I gave my perspective after A/B them.

I got one from the first shipment and it seems to a good one. Some of the newer models, (especially the new maple neck models) seem to vary a lot more than the early versions. So your advice is very sound!

I got one from the first shipment and it seems to a good one. Some of the newer models, (especially the new maple neck models) seem to vary a lot more than the early versions. So your advice is very sound!
Yes both of mine are excellent guitars. Resonant wood.

And i really do prefer the flatter fingerboard and feel of the SE neck.

But when I auditioned the SE's at Starrs Guitars they ALL sounded good. None sounded bad. I bought the one that rang the longest and had the deepest sound.

I just put a rosewood truss rod cover on this one that matches the rosewood fingerboard.

Improved the tone so much that I ordered one for my SE Soapbar and my green SE Silver Sky too!

Well...it DID improve the look!

When a guitar looks better it sounds better...right?

Last edited:
When a guitar looks better it sounds better...right?

Truth! :D

IMG-6935.jpg

Back