Contraian Thougts

IKnowALittle

The most irritating/phony guy in the business.
Paul Shaffer.

The most unlikeable guy ... no contest.
John Mayer.

lots more, but I will keep them to myself.

"black dog" is ragin' tonite.

Last edited:
Seems to me that both guys show up for work, do what they're supposed to do, and get paid, in a very tough and insecure business.

My hat's off to anyone who can make that happen. I don't need to think about whether I'd want to hang out with them, since they aren't asking.

You have to be a little nuts to want to be in the biz in the first place. I certainly am.

The most irritating/phony guy in the business.
Paul Shaffer.
Being a big fan of Letterman, I always liked Paul Shaffer quite a lot. First of all, he's an incredible musician. Second, he IS (was) on a comedy show and he IS (was) trying to be funny. It's TOTALLY an act and was perfect for the show. Anyone who's seen him interviewed or in any other setting immediately recognizes the "Late Night persona" is not how he really is.

Hmmm, you're on a roll today. PRS/Strat thing, Paul Shaffer,... I'm thinking your avatar may not yet be true today, and hoping you feel better shortly. :)

I'm with Les on this one. Paul Schaffer is an entertainer and his schtick comes straight out of the 50s-60s post-vaudeville school. Though burning the stage down to show up Slash at his own birthday bash was kinda douchey, John Mayer plays with the best of the best every time he tours, and he wouldn't be able to tap that club if his fellow musicians couldn't stand him.

I might put forth Paul Stanley and Eddie Van Halen in those places, though. Well, unless Ahmet Zappa counts as being in the business.

I'm ok with both of them. And Mayer has never given me a reason to hate him.

Jealousy inspires hatred, I think. Well, and there were those couple emo-pop records early on, but really, how is a guitarist making emo-pop records to get girls in the 90s any different than a guitarist wearing spandex, makeup and hairspray to get girls in the 80s?

Mayer hosted the Late Late Show for part of the period between when Craig Ferguson left (still not over that - balls!) and James Corden took over. Funny guy, with a self-awareness a lot of famous people don't seem to have. He certainly didn't take himself too seriously.

Being the resident contrarian I have to say I appreciate Shaffer on a musical level, (He's held his own with just about everybody in the business on stage, on national TV for more than a decade, rock,R&B,Jazz, anything) and having a sense of humor (corny as it is) enough to be in "Spinal tap".........I don't see anything "phony" about any of that.

As for J.M., all I can say is, if I was a singer I wish I would have his vocal skills and a unique voice like his. The guitar work doesn't stand out to me.

Watch some of the Mayer/Chapelle stuff. Brilliantly self effacing and funny...

This cracks me up...

(edit: NSFW/Rated R, just FYI)
YouTube Link

Last edited by a moderator:
As for J.M., all I can say is, if I was a singer I wish I would have his vocal skills and a unique voice like his. The guitar work doesn't stand out to me.

I was lucky enough to see him in a hotel ballroom @ NAMM 5-6 years ago. Maybe 300-400 people. All acoustic. He's a very talented player...

Reactions: CVS
I was lucky enough to see him in a hotel ballroom @ NAMM 5-6 years ago. Maybe 300-400 people. All acoustic. He's a very talented player...
And can sing as well. The band I am in plays a few of his songs and I listened to many of his songs before selecting the ones that I did for the band. Many of his songs sound simple until you try to play them. Also saw him with The Dead & Co last summer. This is one great musician!

Back