Considering buying a PRS 513

dvszemis

Currently own a red flame McCarty semi-hollow body. Love it. Very playable. Like that it is very lightweight. Piezo pup sounds fantastic through a pa, humbuckers great through my Johnson Millenium. Now that I own one PRS, naturally lusting after another, particularly the green quilt top PRS 513. Would like to get opinions on the 513, especially the pick-ups as I have read some negative reviews on those elsewhere. Also, I like the fact that the controls on my McCarty are set back some and therefore don't crowd my pick-hand when palm muting. I'm somewhat concerned that the controls on the 513 might get in my way and would like to get the view of any current 513 owners. Also, the price on the 513 pictured below is pretty steep, like $11k. Seems like I might be able to get a custom made one new for less. Is the price reasonable or high? Thanks.

my prs:

prsguitar2.jpg

the prs 513:
prs513.jpg

The controls are different, but not difficult to adapt to. I palm mute quite a bit and do not have any issues with the controls. Regarding the pickups, they're exceptionally versatile, albeit larger than than normal pickups, which you may or may not find to your liking. As for the price, you must be looking at a private stock.

Thanks for your reply. Helpful. Yes, the 513 is a private stock. I'm not all that knowledgeable as to what makes the private stock carry that big of a premium. Is it mainly the quality and look of the wood grain and finish?

I love the pickups in mine. It's a very versatile guitar. The only negative think I can understand people complaining about is the size of the pickups make swapping...um..interesting. :)

You can definitely get one cheaper than the Private Stock one you've found. Here's mine:
513FrontinCase.jpg

by all accounts, PRS's most versatile gtr!! Absolutely love mine, and would love a PS version...neck and scale will feel a little different then your HB, but very playable instrument.

Hi! A Private Stock was out of my budget! But it looks lovely. Whether it's worth that kind of premium, I really couldn't tell. However, you asked "513?" I'm sure each model has it's own enthusiasts. If you have a look at my "Newbie Studio owner" post, a couple of weeks back, you'll see that I set off on my PRS journey wanting a 513 but didn't actually like it that much. But, the neck profile was a killer for me. No wide-thin. But, I wasn't convinced on sound and aesthetics of pickups. So, just a suggestion - try a Studio. I was sort of surprised and ended up with one and don't regret it! And, you get the wide-thin option on the neck - but maybe that's not important to you. I might have maybe felt differently if I'd got on with the 513 neck - it certainly had the wide range of sounds (that was what I as looking for) but I just ended up preferring the Studio, and having completed a recording with it tonight, I am yet again ecstatic with my choice. You wouldn't believe the two tracks I just put down were the same guitar! (middle narrowfield with overdrive rhythm, bridge on single-coil, with echo and subtle flange a la Johnny Marr).

Just give it a good old try out and very best of luck!

I have a 513, and love it. The tonality options makes the guitar a joy to play and discover. I can get a tele like tone to a les paul type tone without much effort. And the neck to me is extremely comfortable. I feel like a better player when I play it. I will however agree with dsl. I was really wanting a studio until I played the 513. I did get the 513 for about $800 less than I could get the studio, and if they were the same price I may have had a difficult decision! The pure tone of the studio was very impressive, I really don't know if the 513 sounds better, but it is extremely more versatile. I would compare them like a Mesa Boogie (studio) to a Line 6 (513). the Mesa has a few amazing tones, while the line 6 has several really impressive tones. Does the Line 6 sound as good as a Mesa???? No, probably not, but the Mesa cant sound like a Marshall and a Fender like the Line 6 can. Make sense?

I will tell you this, I would not trade the 513 for a studio if I had the chance, but would not pass up a studio if I found one I could afford.

8299439072_084a002ebd_z.jpg

563121_607298145950769_1035178416_n.jpg

72974_607298249284092_1880692739_n.jpg

That´s my 513. It´s an "ordinary" mahagonian guitar with a 10-top. In my opinion Private Stock or Artist Grade Package is the only one option if you´re heading for the one-of-a-kind-one-in-a-world-guitar. Regarding neck or fretboard material you will might have nuances changed in the tone or attack, but for most reasons all the features are more optical issues.

My favourite of my guitars is my 513.
Its a guitar you can literally do anything with. Some videos on my Youtube channel.

2cni9hk.jpg

2j17520.jpg

I had an original 513 RW, and it was just wonderful. The pickup layout was intuitive and easy, and the sounds were great. Loved the full humbucking--very growly in a classic rock sense. I only traded it because someone wanted it more than I did.

Back