Compare 85/15 and Dragon II pickups

gilbertpsk

I have a 2016 CE24 with factory 85/15 pickups. Great guitar, love it! I also have a SSH with 58/15LTs. I'm thinking of swapping my 85/15 out of the CE24 - they are a bit "generic" sounding to me. So...I want something "hot" like the 85/15 that is definitely different from the 58/15,LTs.

I've read that the dragonII are pretty articulate and also hot. Any comparison out there between 85/15 and Dragon II?

D2's are my go to. I have only played 85/15's a couple of times, and it wasn't in MY guitars. So I really didn't have time to dial anything in. I am pretty sure, with some tweaking of settings there is overlap there where they can sound similar.

The neck D2 is my favorite neck pup. It is warm AND bright at the same time (if that makes any since) but it is more warm than bright. I believe it is around 8k so it "can" push an amp.

The bridge is closer to 12k, so you can drive the crap out of the amp if you desire. The catch is that if I use it alone, I roll off the tone a bit so it isn't as heavy on the highs.

My sweet spot (And bear in mind, I play rhythm in my band, and the music isn't excessively distorted. More, clean or "overdriven" as far as what roll I play) is to play BOTH neck and bridge at the same time. What this seems to do is gives me huge sound, and the best of both of the pickups while mitigating anything annoying that I might find in either of them.

It is VERY subjective. And with the D2's, what I find is that people either really like them....OR they really DON'T. If you can find an old CE or Cu22 from the early 2000s that you can play, try it out. That should give you a feel for what they might be able to do for you.

(Pic, just because it's fun ;))

434748819_10168720629430331_7150456426796003477_n.jpg

I don't personally think that Dragon II and 85/15 are much similar at all. DII's are rather "vintage" sounding to me, sort of relaxed yet moderately strong (the bridge pickup more so, which is a good thing) and just all-around versatile for classic rock. 85/15's (to me) are very forward with immediate attack and a strong punch--still very good and refined at that, if that's what you want--but I'd call the 85/15 definitely more "modern" sounding.

Stellar cleans (like, real-clean cleans) and tight high-gain: 85/15
All that middle ground from not-so-cleans up to classic rock 'n' roll: Dragon II

MAN it is difficult to find an A/B on those two sets. I can find each of them pitted against the other PRS offerings, but not quite each other.

Let me at least (since you already know what the 85/15s sound like), link you to the tones I expect from D2s. I spend most of my playing between the first examples and the second....but at the end there is heavier distortion so you can hear that too.

And of course. . .there are NO 85/15s in this one. But there are quite a few PRS pickups in this shootout and you can see where those D2s sit within them. And maybe even find another set that piques you interest. (I refer back to this video a lot when comparing tones of pickups)

Not sure if those help as they aren't specific to 85/15 pickups....but you will get a nice dose of D2's.

I have had both sets of pickups - DIIs in a Custom 22 and TCI 85/15 pickups in my Custom 24. I find the 85/15 set to have a much more balanced and versatile sound that can pretty much do anything well. The DII bridge was definitely hotter and a bit more articulate (harsher to my ears), and more geared towards the hard rock/metal end of the spectrum. The DII neck was a good all-rounder IMO and I liked it, but it was in a more favorable position being on a 22-fret guitar. Not sure how it would sound compared to the 85/15 in the neck of a 24-fretter.

I just have a vivid memory of getting my new Custom 24 in 2022, playing it for a few weeks with my favorite profiles, then switching back to my Custom 22 and just feeling like my ears were being assaulted by the extra articulate-ness of the DIIs. Sent it out to the PTC immediately to get the 57/08 neck and 59/09 bridge that always gets recommended around here. Definitely liked that combo better for a more versatile axe. Interesting that @Going Modal had the opposite experience, so maybe it’s all about personal preference?

I might have some sound samples from both guitars I can dig up tomorrow if you’d like.

Do you want to stick with PRS PUs? Otherwise there are plenty other options available.

The D2s are hit or miss, like denktat says. A miss for me, because they are very compressed to my ears. The newer PRS PUs have more dynamics, what is essential to me.

I also found the Dll's to be too compressed to my ears. They went out of my Custom 22 and were replaced with 57/08's which are my all time favorites for humbuckers. I do have a guitar with a 57/08 neck and a 59/09 bridge. That's a can't miss combination.

@gilbertpsk - you're in luck. Turns out I decided to compare the clean and dirty sounds of the DII, 58/15LT, and 85/15 at one point and have an audio comparison for that. I just need to add some title slides to it and throw it up on youtube. Will have some time to do that today and will post in here again when it's up.

I don't personally think that Dragon II and 85/15 are much similar at all. DII's are rather "vintage" sounding to me, sort of relaxed yet moderately strong (the bridge pickup more so, which is a good thing) and just all-around versatile for classic rock. 85/15's (to me) are very forward with immediate attack and a strong punch--still very good and refined at that, if that's what you want--but I'd call the 85/15 definitely more "modern" sounding.

All that middle ground from not-so-cleans up to classic rock 'n' roll: Dragon II
Even the imported 85/15s have stellar cleans. I think it’s a bit of a well-kept secret. Love those pickups.

I have a 2016 CE24 with factory 85/15 pickups. Great guitar, love it! I also have a SSH with 58/15LTs. I'm thinking of swapping my 85/15 out of the CE24 - they are a bit "generic" sounding to me. So...I want something "hot" like the 85/15 that is definitely different from the 58/15,LTs.

I've read that the dragonII are pretty articulate and also hot. Any comparison out there between 85/15 and Dragon II?
Rider1260 has a set of D2s for sale.

Funny you say the 85/15's are very generic sounding, as I find the dII's to be probably the most generic sounding US PRS pickup. For me, anyway, they did nothing that really stood out and like others, I found them too compressed and kind of congested in their midrange. Why they ever replaced the Dragon 1 with the Dragon 2, I have no idea.

For PRS pickups: a 59/09 might be a good bet. Has at least as much juice as the 85/15 and has more top end kerrang as opposed to the 85/15's slightly more balanced voice. Definitely punchy and tight enough to do the high gain stuff!

Great description ………..

That is funny: i might actually prefer the 85 over the 58 eq wise! They seem clearer, something I like.
Yep, definitely been my experience. Clearer, hotter. 58/15LT a bit darker and more woody(?) sounding maybe. I love the 85/15s as all-rounders and the 58/15LTs for more jazz/blues/classic rock stuff.

Back