CM25 Custom 24

JoeDirt

I had a thread a couple of weeks ago about buying either a new SE Standard 24 or a used Custom 24. Most likely will buy the new SE Standard, but I do have another option. The GC in Des Moines, Iowa has a Royal Blue CM 25 Custom 24, said to be in great condition according to them. I can't really find any information on CM25's though, other than I've seen a couple of other ones for sale and they appear to have been manufactured around 2005. Just curious if anyone has any information on these?

Ironically, although I live in the D/FW area I will be in Des Moines week after next. Obviously I will be able to go by there and look at it and play it. If I like it then it's listed $100 cheaper than a new SE Standard. I'm just curious if anyone has information on them? And surely some folks here on the PRS forum must own and play some of these things?

Wow! Noone owns one of these things or knows anything about them?? Oh well, looks like Guitar Center may be making my decision for me. Looks like they just lowered the price on the SE Standard in transparent red to $399. Not sure why that particular color is on sale and the others wouldn't be, but that's one of the two colors I would have wanted.

Play the CM 25 before you buy anything. Don`t let price make up your mind. Let your ears do it for you.

Probably very valid advice Dogrocketp. I'm not in a hurry. It looks like the GC sale goes through August 10th. Ironically, that's the day I arrive in Des Moines. I should be able to go to Guitar Center on that day and check out the CM 25. Should I decide not to buy it I should be able to buy the new SE Standard online at the sale price and then pick it up at my local GC when I get back home. Nearly every GC in the area has a transparent red SE Standard 24 hanging on the wall.

I've seen that pop up a few times on GC's used page. No clue. It might be something that they use to ID them in their computer, and they put it in the description by accident. Of course, I'm grasping at straws here.

I will add that I have a Cu24 30th Anni. My friend and fellow PRS junkie has one as well, I sold my SE standard 24 right after I got it as part of a trade. It was nice, but not a gig guitar in my eyes. The Cu24 could take a lickin and keep on ticken.

After talking to the Guitar Center in Des Moines, I ultimately decided the used Custom 24 wasn't for me. It wasn't in as good a shape as I thought it might be. Went and picked up a new red SE Standard 24 this afternoon for $400. I just love the way it plays and I haven't even put a good set of strings on it yet. I love the clean tones and the variety of tones you get from the coil split, but I really dig the dirty sound on the bridge pickup in full humbucker mode. Very happy to finally be a PRS owner.

After talking to the Guitar Center in Des Moines, I ultimately decided the used Custom 24 wasn't for me. It wasn't in as good a shape as I thought it might be. Went and picked up a new red SE Standard 24 this afternoon for $400. I just love the way it plays and I haven't even put a good set of strings on it yet. I love the clean tones and the variety of tones you get from the coil split, but I really dig the dirty sound on the bridge pickup in full humbucker mode. Very happy to finally be a PRS owner.
Awesome! Congrats on your first!

Mixstar, I think you have it right. I found the guitar on a youtube video listing it as a 25th anniversary edition. Thanks for the input guys.

Back