Cameo!

rugerpc

A♥ hoards guitars ♥A Soldier 25, DFZ
I'm reading the Heart biography "Kicking and Dreaming."

I just read that Nancy Wilson did a cameo in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High. She was the girl in the convertible who smiled at Judge Rhinhold. Now I gotta go back and look at at least that part of the movie to see. Maybe I'll take a quick glance of Phoebe Cates' pool scene while I'm at it. :grin:

So, what other movies (or TV shows) do you know about where a well know musician unexpectedly pops up in cameo?

edit: after Alan's list below, I just had to add TV to the spectrum...

Last edited:
Word UP!!! Oh, wrong Cameo.

Back on topic; Damn you're right! She's the girl in the silver Corvette that bums him out enough to take off his uniform, right? Never noticed that before, sad thing is I just replayed that movie mentally to figure that out!! So that's where my long term memory went!

I just saw Debbie Harry in the "Tales from the Darkside" movie, I never registered that being her as a kid.

Speaking of weird cameos, I'm pretty sure that's Levar Burton (Star Trek, Reading Rainbow, Roots) playing the cop in this Cameo video.

Last edited by a moderator:
]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;30671 said:
Not a movie but LOTS of Rock Stars in and out of Miami Vice.

but the only one that mattered to me as a kid was Sheena!

Hey ruger...gonna move this to the artists section...hope you don't mind

Back on topic; Damn you're right! She's the girl in the silver Corvette that bums him out enough to take off his uniform, right? Never noticed that before, sad thing is I just replayed that movie mentally to figure that out!! So that's where my long term memory went!

I can see the scene in my head too, but I just remember a pretty face - not a specific pretty face. the irony of it for me is that I have always had a crush on Nancy Wilson...

I can see the scene in my head too, but I just remember a pretty face - not a specific pretty face. the irony of it for me is that I have always had a crush on Nancy Wilson...

Great scene....

But the one I always watch for is Phoebe Cates getting out of the pool to "Moving in Stereo".... If you remember the movie, you know why! :D

I'd link the clip but it's NSFW.... ;)

Great scene....

But the one I always watch for is Phoebe Cates getting out of the pool to "Moving in Stereo".... If you remember the movie, you know why! :D

I'd link the clip but it's NSFW.... ;)

Rango - back in the days of VHS rental tapes, that section of the movie was severely trashed from the constant abrasion of the read heads on the machine while the tape was paused, rewound and played in slow mo - just like that scene in Porky's.

edit.... I just had an epiphany... do you think Cameron Crowe picked "Moving in Stereo" for that scene with Phoebe Cates because of her two - ah - er - well you know! - do you?? :eek: :vroam:

Last edited:
Zappa, Nugent, Fiona, Phil Collins just off the top of my head from Miami Vice, as well as Sheena.

Glen Hansard from Swell Season is the guitar player in The Commitments.

The sax player in Eddie And The Cruisers is the actual sax player from John Cafferty's band.

Rick Springfield played a coked-out verion of himself on Californication (and was hilarious).

Tim Minchin will be on the next season of Californication.

Zakk Wylde played a music store clerk on Californication.

Peter Criss had a small role on Oz.

Marilyn Manson played one of Rose McGowan's bangs in Jawbreaker.

Mike Keneally, Ace Frehley, Bryan Beller and Corpsegrinder have all done voices on Metalocalypse (at least I think Beller has).

Lulu was on Absolutely Fabulous.

Joe Walsh was on the Drew Carey Show, and Reverend Horton Heat played the band that tormented Drew's band in high school.

Jill Sobule was in Grace Of My Heart.

Zappa was in Head, and also did a spot in a Tom Arnold comedy special.

Stephen Bishop was the folk singer on the stairs in Animal House. That was actually his real guitar that Belushi smashed.

Shutting up now....

I may be off base with this since some might consider them musicals in the first place, but this topic makes me think of the Blues Brothers movies. Ray Charles (music store owner), Aretha Franklin (four fried chickens and a Coke!), John Lee Hooker, Cab Calloway, Isaac Hayes, Jimmie Vaughan, B.B. King (as a used car dealer), Dr. John, Bo Diddley, Travis Tritt, Jonny Lang (janitor), etc. The Battle of the Bands scene in "Blues Brothers 2000" is loaded with 'ringers'.

Goldtop

I may be off base with this since some might consider them musicals in the first place, but this topic makes me think of the Blues Brothers movies. Ray Charles (music store owner), Aretha Franklin (four fried chickens and a Coke!), John Lee Hooker, Cab Calloway, Isaac Hayes, Jimmie Vaughan, B.B. King (as a used car dealer), Dr. John, Bo Diddley, Travis Tritt, Jonny Lang (janitor), etc. The Battle of the Bands scene in "Blues Brothers 2000" is loaded with 'ringers'.

Goldtop

You're not off base at all. Lloyd. Most of those roles were non-musical which makes them the kind of unexpected cameo that surprises. Like Eddy Money doing a travel agent in a Geico commercial....

You're not off base at all. Lloyd. Most of those roles were non-musical which makes them the kind of unexpected cameo that surprises. Like Eddy Money doing a travel agent in a Geico commercial....

Thanks. Good point. And lest we forget, Paul Shaffer as Artie Fufkin, the Polymer Records A&R dude in Spinal Tap. 'Will you do a man a personal favor here? I'm not asking with this, I'm telling! Kick my a**!'

Lloyd

Last edited:
Miles Kennedy was also in the film Rock Star. At the end, when he picks the guy out of the crowd and walks off stage, the guy in the crowd was Miles. Stephan Jenkins (Third Eye Blind) was in Rock Star as well.

Meatloaf has been in a number of movies, though usually in a starring role rather than a short cameo. In two of them he played a bus driver; The Spice Girls Movie (whatever it was called), and also in "Leap of Faith" with Steve Martin as a tent revival preacher/con-artist who finally cleans up his act.

Goldtop

Johnny Cash also did quite a bit of acting. He was a sheriff in a movie about a true crime called "Murder in Coweta County" (which also starred Andy Griffith.) He was in an episode of "Columbo" for those of us old enough to remember that series. He did several westerns, including "A Gunfight". In his later years, Johnny and June Carter were in several episodes of "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman", and they(?) were also in an episode of "Little House on the Prarie" once IIRC.

But first and foremost - IMO anyway - Johnny acted like a true gentleman after being unceremoniously dropped by Columbia, his record label of 25+ years, without so much as a phone call!

Goldtop

Meatloaf has been in a number of movies, though usually in a starring role rather than a short cameo. In two of them he played a bus driver; The Spice Girls Movie (whatever it was called), and also in "Leap of Faith" with Steve Martin as a tent revival preacher/con-artist who finally cleans up his act.

Goldtop

He was also the bouncer in "Wayne's World".

Back