Buzzz

puzzl3z

Hey Forum,

I'm having an annoying hum/buzz issue with a recently purchased CE 24 and tried to search to no avail (well, at least consensus).

Backstory: When I initially plugged in the guitar at the store there was no sound, so I went to look at the plug and when I tilted the guitar back (upside down) there was sound, tilted it back, gone again. So I plugged into another guitar, no issues. Back to the other guitar, no sound unless tilted upside down.

No worries, store said it was just a loose wire and they took care of it. Well, maybe.

Now I get a pretty significant hum/buzz that I thought was ground noise; however, it goes away (mostly) when I touch the strings or output jack on the guitar. When I search on this subject the conclusions are all over the place..."it is a bad ground on the guitar" or "it is def bad electricity and the effect of the instrument being quieted when touched is an indication the ground is working as intended" or "it is shielding, or lack thereof".

Also, my ESP w/EMGs is absolutely silent throughout all troubleshooting steps below.

My audio chain:
Guitar -> Mooer GE150 -> Two Notes CAB M -> headphones

Troubleshooting steps I have taken include:
- Getting a Voltage Regulator / Power filter (no change)
- Plugging into another outlet (no change)
- Different cables (no change)
- Plugging an XLR from the CAB M into the audio interface on my computer (WORKS????)

So when I plug an XLR into my interface, which is connected to another outlet by the way, even if I am not listening through it and still have headphones out of the CAB M, the hum is pretty much gone. Shouldn't this introduce more noise through creating a potential ground loop?

I believe that it truly is a grounding issue with the guitar which I am going back to the store to have them take a look, but what say you?

Hey Forum,

I'm having an annoying hum/buzz issue with a recently purchased CE 24 and tried to search to no avail (well, at least consensus).

Also, my ESP w/EMGs is absolutely silent throughout all troubleshooting steps below.

My audio chain:
Guitar -> Mooer GE150 -> Two Notes CAB M -> headphones

Troubleshooting steps I have taken include:
- Getting a Voltage Regulator / Power filter (no change)
- Plugging into another outlet (no change)
- Different cables (no change)
- Plugging an XLR from the CAB M into the audio interface on my computer (WORKS????)

So when I plug an XLR into my interface, which is connected to another outlet by the way, even if I am not listening through it and still have headphones out of the CAB M, the hum is pretty much gone. Shouldn't this introduce more noise through creating a potential ground loop?

I believe that it truly is a grounding issue with the guitar which I am going back to the store to have them take a look, but what say you?

How do you have your Two Notes CAB-M set up for output? Also, how are you listening to your audio interface through your computer?

Seeing what I read, its either your CAB-M output to headphones, or your headphones. Your troubleshooting is the clue. Everything except listening to you audio interface via XLR from CAB-M produces noise.

You might have your CAB-M set up to "instrument out" instead of "line out." The parameters within the CAB-M should allow you to select between the 2. Try that, using your headphone directly > the CAB-M, and tell us what happens. Best wishes.

How do you have your Two Notes CAB-M set up for output? Also, how are you listening to your audio interface through your computer?

Seeing what I read, its either your CAB-M output to headphones, or your headphones. Your troubleshooting is the clue. Everything except listening to you audio interface via XLR from CAB-M produces noise.

You might have your CAB-M set up to "instrument out" instead of "line out." The parameters within the CAB-M should allow you to select between the 2. Try that, using your headphone directly > the CAB-M, and tell us what happens. Best wishes.

Thanks for the response.

I should also clarify I get the same hum/buzz when I connect my headphones (HD 600) directly to the GE150. However, to answer your question, I had my headphones plugged into the headphone out of the CAB-M.

To your second point, I never listened "through" my audio interface. Just the act of connecting the XLR from the CAB-M to the audio interface input was enough to silence the buzz. My initial idea was to use the "ground lift" that is on the CAB-M and then monitor through the audio interface, but like I said, it got silent just connecting the two devices together.

So in summary:
- I get buzz when headphones are connected directly to the GE150 headphone out
- I get buzz when headphones are connected to CAB-M headphone out
- I get less buzz when touching strings, bridge, output jack
- Buzz goes away when connecting XLR from audio interface to CAB-M (again, still monitoring from CAB-M headphone out OR GE150 headphone out)
- My ESP w/EMGs exhibits none of this behavior

Usually, when any device or combination thereof emits noise or buzz, the "scientific" solution is to disconnect one device at a time that has the buzz in the signal chain.

1st - Try connecting your guitar to the audio interface. Listen with your headphones. No buzz? Proceed to step 2.
2nd - Connect your guitar to the Mooer, CAB-M, and audio interface. No buzz? Proceed to step 3
3rd - Connect your guitar to the CAB-M and Mooer, using the headphones out of the CAB-M. Buzz?
4th - Connect your guitar to the Mooer, listen using. your headphones out of the Mooer. Buzz?

You are likely correct there is a ground lift problem, but it likely originates with your Mooer. Do you also get buzz when your Mooer & CAB-M are connected, and you're monitoring from the CAB-M headphones out? If so, I'd wager dollars to donuts that your Mooer is the problem.

The way to check is to use an alternate higher quality preamp circuit into your CAB-M. You might be able to test this at a higher end music shop that also sells audio rack gear. There are better quality preamp circuits available that will provide what you need. Knowing that you're familiar with Two Notes, I'd look into one of the Two Notes pedals.

Granted, pricier, but should reduce your buzz/noise. Speak to a qualified sales rep (Sweetwater.com has some good ones) that can help diagnose your problem. While they may also try to sell you stuff, they'll also be more qualified to answer your signal path questions more directly.

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
:D:p:D:p Plus, we actually HAVE a Spicoli here now so we can do the whole set of movie lines now. Just PROMISE me somebody will call or text me when Nancy Wilsons rolls up in a Vette. I DO NOT want to miss that! It was quite spectacular last time! ;)

Just thought to give the OP a heads up...did some research on the Two Notes website...your Two notes CAB-M can be upgraded to a CAB-M+, which sports an onboard noise gate (something your current effects doesn't have). Check that your CAB-M is registered with Two Notes, download the upgrade, check back with us once you've learned how to use the noise gate...:)

Back