Buying my first PRS

I think I'm incrementally gravitating more toward a Custom 24, since I intend to keep my strat and LP. I think I'd like it with a :

*Mahogany neck ..preferably a pattern or pattern regular (I don't mind thin necks BTW, my favorite neck is a Larrivee 16" radius although most of my acoustics are Martin)

*Mahogany body

*Hoping to find a good maple quilted top in blue and a natural body

*Trem

1-Anybody have experience with a custom 24 with a maple neck and ebony board?
2-What type of Mahogany does PRS use on its models ... I hear it's Khaya African mahogany, not South American.
3-Are the differences in 2017 between a ten top and an artist grade only in the visual aspects of the topwood? or does it include a change in the finish?

I wouldn't mind a 594 with a rosewood neck if I go that way - rosewood is warmer than mahogany which is warmer than maple. I wouldn't mind a maple neck with an ebony fretboard either... but a swamp ash thing isn't for me .... a long time ago I owned a strat with a swamp ash body and it was shrilly no matter what pups I put in them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind a maple neck with an ebony fretboard either... but a swamp ash thing isn't for me .... a long time ago I owned a strat with a swamp ash body and it was shrilly no matter what pups I put in them.

Maple is bright and ebony is bright. Put the two together and I'd guess it will be brighter than the swamp ash you had. I have a CE22 with an all mahogany body and a maple neck with rosewood fretboard. Best tone I own. The Custom will have the maple top and you can get them with a maple neck in the Artist package. Might be just the thing for you.

I've got a '14 Wood Library Cu24 with a maple neck and ebony board, loaded with 57/08 pickups. Great guitar. I would say quicker note response from the ebony, and a silkier feel to the fret board. The maple n ck is their satin in maple finish, so it almost feels like bare wood. I would say it has a little more sizzle than the normal config.

Last edited:
I've heard great things about Thomann from our European forum members. They seem to carry quite a large range of PRSi

Also Musicstore.de carries a nice selection of PRS at good prices (just bought one from them).

Cheers,
N.F.

Back