Buying dilemma...

MikeD

I've decided on my next guitar, which wasn't easy.

I sold a couple things so now I have the cash and I'm ready to go, which also wasn't easy.

Here's my dilemma. I can't find one with a top that I'm happy with.

It's a limited edition and no longer available directly from PRS. I guess I missed the boat there.

There's a couple dealers that still have new ones in stock but the tops just aren't 'perfect'. Although there's one that very close.

I guess there's a good possibility that when I got it in my hands I'd be happy with it. But for the kind of coin I'm looking to drop I want as close to perfect as I can get.

I should note that the dealer has a return policy but charges a 20% restocking fee. Which is A LOT of money out of my budget.

So what say you? Take the plunge and hope for the best? Wait for the perfect one to pop up (who knows when or if it ever will)?

:iamconfused:

Mike, this is going to seem a little crazy but hear me out. You're not going to take a chance on that guitar that you have to pay a restocking fee on most likely. You're trying to find a needle in a haystack. You've scoured the dealers, and don't see anything that you really want. You could wait for a used one, but there will no doubt be play wear and other use-related imperfections. The idea of the perfect version of this model is most likely out the window. In any case, it's going to take a while. Not gonna happen overnight to find what you want.

So here's my advice:

Sell a few more things. Or Save. Or some combination of the two. And get a Private Stock. I know, crazy, etc. You can't afford that, it's too this or that.

But you won't want to sell it (and lose money) down the road. It will be wood you picked. It will sound fantastic and play better than what you have. You will be in love with it. It will be a lifetime guitar and well worth the sacrifice to a dedicated player.

And it will be not only exactly what you want, it will be as perfect as human beings can make it. In fact, you might only need that guitar for the rest of your playing days if you pick the right one.

Les may be right, or he may be crazy, or he could be some combination of the two, but I have 2 cores and an AP right now and I probably would have been better off just having a PS built. My case is a little different since those guitars taught me what I would want from a PS, but if you already know what you want it really comes down to how valuable your satisfaction is.

Mike, this is going to seem a little crazy but hear me out. You're not going to take a chance on that guitar that you have to pay a restocking fee on most likely. You're trying to find a needle in a haystack. You've scoured the dealers, and don't see anything that you really want. You could wait for a used one, but there will no doubt be play wear and other use-related imperfections. The idea of the perfect version of this model is most likely out the window. In any case, it's going to take a while. Not gonna happen overnight to find what you want.

So here's my advice:

Sell a few more things. Or Save. Or some combination of the two. And get a Private Stock. I know, crazy, etc. You can't afford that, it's too this or that.

But you won't want to sell it (and lose money) down the road. It will be wood you picked. It will sound fantastic and play better than what you have. You will be in love with it. It will be a lifetime guitar and well worth the sacrifice to a dedicated player.

And it will be not only exactly what you want, it will be as perfect as human beings can make it. In fact, you might only need that guitar for the rest of your playing days if you pick the right one.

This is my exact game plan...

Mike, you sold guitars to make this happen, guitars that you once liked enough to buy in the first place.

Listen to Les. He is 100% spot on with this.

I'm actually in a culling mode myself and edging, however slowly, towards my own PS build.

Save or sell a couple more. Read the PSF thread from beginning to end and take notes and save pictures.

Drool begins here:

Private-Stock-Friday

I don't think I could ever pick a top... too many options & choices (and my budget is extremely limited - forcing me down to used territory). So, I'm happy with dents/dings/player wear. Another option - goldtops are always classy & have none of those see through eye soars of weird/unique maple.

I've lost enough selling guitars to buy several Private Stocks over the years.

It isn't only the looks that make them special. In fact, after you get used to the spectacular appearance, the other stuff takes precedence. They are simply wonderful instruments in every way you'd expect, and in some ways you wouldn't even think of until you have one in your hands.

They are deeply satisfying.

On the other hand, you could just buy the best sounding one of the ones you're looking at and be perfectly happy, because after a few days the top really becomes secondary.

So here's my advice:

PS?!?! Holy cow Les, you spend my money faster than my wife. Haha.

I suppose it's something to consider.

I'm at a point in my life where I can afford a PS or at least come up with the cash without having to sell my house.

However, I'm not really a dedicated player. Hell, I'm barely a guitar player. So it's hard enough to justify this limited edition let alone a PS. Ouch.

I'll have to crunch some numbers (as possibly contact a divorce lawyer).

Thanks for the suggestion.

PS?!?! Holy cow Les, you spend my money faster than my wife. Haha.

On the other hand, think of how low my consulting fee is! ;)

Seriously, you might be putting a little too much emphasis on the guitar's top.

On the other hand, think of how low my consulting fee is! ;)

Seriously, you might be putting a little too much emphasis on the guitar's top.

I'm with Les on the top and I'm not ogling it when we're trying to play it clam free. As long as you can pick it up, say 'nice guitar', then get down to business, that's where I'm at now. All about the pickups and intonation.

I don't think I could ever pick a top... too many options & choices (and my budget is extremely limited - forcing me down to used territory). So, I'm happy with dents/dings/player wear. Another option - goldtops are always classy & have none of those see through eye soars of weird/unique maple.

Having experienced the "picking a top", I can tell you that the right top will pick you. It will be the one you can't say no to. The hardest thing is to not focus in too soon. They have an amazing stock of wood in almost every flavor you could imagine. Experience is a great time to visit the wood room. Have fun.

I've lost enough selling guitars to buy several Private Stocks over the years.

It isn't only the looks that make them special. In fact, after you get used to the spectacular appearance, the other stuff takes precedence. They are simply wonderful instruments in every way you'd expect, and in some ways you wouldn't even think of until you have one in your hands.

They are deeply satisfying.

On the other hand, you could just buy the best sounding one of the ones you're looking at and be perfectly happy, because after a few days the top really becomes secondary.
This guy knows what he's talking about. You want a nice top but your connection to the instrument while playing is MOST important.

It's sort of like living near a mountain. When you first move in it's like, "This is beautiful! I love it!" and six months later you don't even notice it any more. What you do notice is the tone, playability, how well it incorporates into the music you're trying to make, etc.

Back