Breaking silence: Some S2 models...Too much pick guard!

Korina Jack

It's a deal breaker for me. Visually, the pick guard looks like it covers over 35-40% of the surface space on many of the S2 models. Am I out of touch? The older Mira models were pushing the limit but tolerable. But when a pick guard doubles as pick-up rings? C'mon...That's where the craftsmanship stops IMO. It might have of looked good on paper and may have saved some money; but let's get back to the basics and ditch as much of the pick guard stuff as possible. Just my opinion. Thoughts?

I'm not big on any pick guards really. Just a personal preference. I don't mind them on the Mira, Vela and Starla but I don't like the outline around the pickup replacing the ring either. I can live with it though. What I'm not into though, is a pick guard on the traditional PRS custom shape. Just looks "off" to me.

Some of them bother me, some don't. I liked the black and burst finishes equally when I was shopping for an S2 Satin, but the black guard on the burst just obscured too much of the burst. On the black, I really like the guard, so that's what I got.

It's obviously a cost saving feature for PRS, having pre-wired guards to put on guitars, but when the gloss standards came out, I was a little disappointed at the price. Only a $30-40 savings for a guitar with no maple cap and a pickguard, seems like those two items should cut the price down more.

Oh well, love my Satin and it was a killer price, all's well that ends well!

Jack, I have some very good news for you:

1. PRS makes other models without pick guards. Just pony up a few more bucks, and you're in business!

2. No one's holding a gun to your head to buy a guitar whose looks you don't like.

3. See #1.

Jack, I have some very good news for you:

1. PRS makes other models without pick guards. Just pony up a few more bucks, and you're in business!

2. No one's holding a gun to your head to buy a guitar whose looks you don't like.

3. See #1.

I do have a sweet 2008 PRS McCarty, Korina, Brazilian, P-90's. My backup guitar is my Gibson LP R8 Historic (pilot run serial #008). Both really sweet! :)

Read: "I don't like it, therefore, PRS should stop making it so no one else can buy it!"

There's plenty of stuff that I dislike about different models of guitars. In fact, we even have a thread about what is a deal breaker for each of us when shopping for a guitar. Just because we dislike something doesn't mean it's a bad feature. I would never buy a guitar with a floyd tremolo on it. Does that mean I think we should banish the floyd rose tremolo and all floyd equipped guitars to the depths of Hades? Of course not. Because it's silly. I actually enjoy some of the pickguard equipped S2s, specifically the Mira, Starla, and Vela. I understand others don't as well. To each their own.

Read: "I don't like it, therefore, PRS should stop making it so no one else can buy it!"

There's plenty of stuff that I dislike about different models of guitars. In fact, we even have a thread about what is a deal breaker for each of us when shopping for a guitar. Just because we dislike something doesn't mean it's a bad feature. I would never buy a guitar with a floyd tremolo on it. Does that mean I think we should banish the floyd rose tremolo and all floyd equipped guitars to the depths of Hades? Of course not. Because it's silly. I actually enjoy some of the pickguard equipped S2s, specifically the Mira, Starla, and Vela. I understand others don't as well. To each their own.

Yeah I'm not suggesting anything of the sort...and this is just my personal opinion, for example: the scratch plate on the back of the S2 isn't flush with the wood kind of leans towards on the cheesy side. I think they should fix that. What's the justification? I dunno! I imagine it will get fixed. All I am saying is that when a pick guard monopolizes over half of the available flat space on a PRS guitar, it tells me there's been a lot of compromise in "craftsmanship." But if it fills a void for the better then the market will decide if it's a viable solution. If not, it will fade away. In this fickle market, "you never know until you try and learn from your mistakes." That's how Paul Reed Smith made it into the big leagues. He's had epic failures but may successes that we all enjoy today.

^^^^^^ this

I'm ok with anyone saying that the just don't like this or that. But when they say something shouldn't be made at all, they're out of bounds.

I will admit the pickguards automatically make me look away, and like Serge I cringe at Floyds on a PRS, but why trip on other peoples options? Worry about being one with the instrument you own. (Hopefully that has the options you like).

I've wondered about sales figures for the S2 and SE lines recently - as it seems most of the NGD threads are for one of those two lines. So their decision to produce some lower price point models seems like a good one so far.

He's had epic failures but may successes that we all enjoy today.
Like what? Sure, there were things that didn't sell well but I can't think of anything "epic" enough that caused catastrophic damage to the company.
Wha? Catastrophic damage? I never mentioned that. Epic failures and successes is what I said. :)

Which begs the question you didn't answer. What 'epic failures'?

I think Paul himself would list the HG amps as less than successes. I have one in my office that is quite the novelty item. But I still don't think it qualifies as an epic failure...

Wha? Catastrophic damage? I never mentioned that. Epic failures and successes is what I said. :)

I'm no stranger to hyperbole, I just though that when you referred to it as "epic" I assumed you meant something BIG. Sure there are things that didn't go over all that well, but hardly anything I think qualifies as an epic failure.

I think Paul himself would list the HG amps as less than successes. I have one in my office that is quite the novelty item. But I still don't think it qualifies as an epic failure...

You Do? Ooh... Gimme!

I am not a fan of the big pick guards that I've seen on some of them. On the Mira, Vela, and Starla early models I get it but not when the rings are taken away. Just not my taste although Fender does just fine (then again, I don't own a Fender anything currently). Through the years, all of the Les Pauls that I have owned had the pick guard removed and stuck in the case (if installed to begin with).

And btw....no Floyds here either! I didn't have a trem guitar until my wife bought me the SE Tremonti Custom a few years back for my birthday.

Back