Boss ME-80 vs POD HD500X

matonanjin

I am about half decided to get rid of my pedals and go with a modelling answer. I have a Mustang Floor but it is just not expansive enough. As an example, one can't have both an overdrive and a compressor. One can only have one pedal out of each of the pedal "food groups".

So I am thinking about either the Boss ME-80 or the POD HD500X. I had just about clicked on the purchase button on a Boss ME-80 when a person I know from another forum suggested the POD HD500X. They both look fairly powerful and I've seen good reviews on both.

Does anyone have experience with either or opinions, suggestions? I am never going to gig with either so I don't care about how they will hold up for gigging. It will strictly be used in my home. I am just interested in ease of use and, of course, tone.

I play in two bands with guys that use POD and Helix. I'm sorry their tone is poor, I would not get one. Even my third string tube amp kills these things. I know that sounds strong but I am just trying to help.

The POD is a much nicer unit IMO.

sergiodeblanc and bodia, much nicer in what way?

I play in two bands with guys that use POD and Helix. I'm sorry their tone is poor, I would not get one. Even my third string tube amp kills these things. I know that sounds strong but I am just trying to help.
It may be strong but that's exactly what I want to know. But which POD does he have. An older one or newer? Thank you.

Last edited:
First, I'm not a fan of either, really. I never wanted to take the time to learn all of the "programming." That being said, the HD500x is more robust, with more options, and a better sound, IMO. The ME-80 is more "user friendly" but doesn't have the same abilities of the POD. If you're willing to take the time, go POD. If you want to put it on the floor and go, I'd say BOSS. Neither is really "bad". All personal preference.

In the end, I sold all of these types of things I've ever owned and went back to a good old fashioned pedal board. Well, until the Kemper came along, that is. ;)

Just to add, I don't play anywhere but my house.

The POD is a much nicer unit IMO.

This^^^

Had a number of Boss and Line 6 units over the years and always preferred the sounds I got from the Line 6 units. Prepare to tinker as the stock patches are poor.

The HD500X is powerful and has everything you need and more you won't. Great connectivity options. Good software.

Do I prefer my valve amp... Yes! But my POD is more than capable of producing satisfying tones for all music types.

Brian.... can you be sure they are setting these things up right for live use? What they plugging into? Amps, PA? Have they set their tones up at home hoping it would sound the same with the volume turned up and a drummer, bassist, etc going full tilt?

Thank you, Mike. That was helpful.

I am still going to have my valve amp. I will run this without an amp simulation and then into my Blues, Jr. so it is just going to act as a pedal board. On those rare occasions that it goes into my DAW then I will use amp simulation. (I don't mic my amp nor does it have a USB output.)

Last edited:
sergiodeblanc and bodia, much nicer in what way?

It's a deeper unit, meaning there's more options and effects and ways to control them.

Nobody ever takes me up on the recommendation but, the Zoom stuff is pretty nice too if you don't need pitch effects.

Thank you, Mike. That was helpful.

I am still going to have my valve amp. I will run this without an amp simulation and then into my Blues, Jr. so it is just going to act as a pedal board. On those rare occasions that it goes into my DAW then I will use amp simulation. (I don't mic my amp nor does it have a USB output.)

If you're just looking for a "pedal board", how about a Line 6 M9? I've got one you can have.

If you're just looking for a "pedal board", how about a Line 6 M9? I've got one you can have.
Have? bodia, thank you for that generous offer. I glanced at the M9 on Sweetwater' s website and it looks like one can only use 3 pedals at one time. That's one of the limitations of my Mustang (4) that is causing me to look for another solution. Plus, if you look at my post that you quoted I will occasionally need amp modelling when I run it into my DAW for recording.
Thanks again.

I did see that part about your DAW. Just tossing out an option. Although, I didn't really think it was what you were truly after. Good luck on your quest!

I did see that part about your DAW. Just tossing out an option. Although, I didn't really think it was what you were truly after. Good luck on your quest!
So aren't you starting to grasp yet that I don't have a clue what I am truly after?:rolleyes::confused:

Back