Best strings for a 513

Shoki

Hi all, new poster and long time PRS player here. I just posted this question in a different thread. I've read and enjoyed Dancing Frog singing the many praises of the 513. He also mentioned how great Curt Mangen strings were on 513's. I was wondering which strings specifically....pure nickel or nickel plated. Round or hex core. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

After having been a long time Ernie Ball Light Top Heavy Bottom user, I recently switched to Elixir Optiweb 10-52 and I'm really liking the change. thus far. The strings stay nice and bright sounding longer than with the Ernie Ball for sure. They sort of remind me of the bright tone I get from Dean Markley Blue Steel, though finding those is difficult in my parts.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the response. Big fan of the NYXL's, but haven't tried the Optiwebs. I was specifically interested in any experience with Curt Mangan strings, as Dancing Frog said he noticed a big difference when using those. I will try a set of Elixirs though!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the response. Big fan of the NYXL's, but haven't tried the Optiwebs. I was specifically interested in any experience with Curt Mangan strings, as Dancing Frog said he noticed a big difference when using those. I will try a set of Elixirs though!

Are you using 9s or 10s?

I use D'Addario 10s on everything, including my 513. Lately it's NYXL sets.

I haven't tried Curt Mangan strings, but for the past few years I've played Sono-Tone Vintage Pure Nickel on all of my guitars but the DGT, and I absolutely love the tone. They're brighter with a crisper attack than most pure nickel strings.

I'm still using the PRS .011 Signatures on the DGT; the guitar sounds so good I'm loath to try anything else. But at some point I will.

@Alnus Rubra, Maertl513 on the phone.

Let me explain. I started with GHS Boomers .010-.046 , because they have been my standard strings at that time.
Then I switched to the manufacturer D'Addario for all of my electrics, because the GHS' E1 broke often. And the D'Addario did not.
I kept the gauge 010-.046. A single time I changed to NYXL, but I didn't notice neither better sound nor more endurance for the higher price.
Recently I took the opportunity to string Pyramid strings (German manufacturer) on one of my 513s.
Additionally I tried Elixier strings, too.
All those strings feel different under the finger tips, the Pyramid tend to have a stiffer core than the others. Regardless of those details, there can't be a general recommendation for a 513.
The only thing I would tell is, don't spend money on NYXL.

Back