Best Place To Sell A Private Stock

Wizardofvoz

I have a signed, authenticated, mint condition Private Stock (#9757) with that great paisley PRS case. I want to sell it but, even at a drastically reduced price, it is still a specialized item, and there aren’t a whole lot of people with $7500 to spend on a guitar (Paid $8900). Looking for advice on where I could try to sell it. Thanks, y’all!

Last edited:
If you don’t want to go the Reverb route, then I would contact Chicago Music Exchange. They are, by far, the best to deal with regarding the selling of guitars. They will tell you up front what they are going to list it for, and then they will tell you they will give you 70% of that amount. When you go there, or send it to them, there is no more haggling. They look it over, log the serial number, and cut you a check for that exact amount. The last time I sold to them it was 5 guitars that I got a quote for via email. When I got there (I’m local to them), I was in and out in 20 minutes. If that had been a Guitar Center I would have been there for hours, and gotten screwed.

If you don’t want to go the Reverb route, then I would contact Chicago Music Exchange. They are, by far, the best to deal with regarding the selling of guitars. They will tell you up front what they are going to list it for, and then they will tell you they will give you 70% of that amount. When you go there, or send it to them, there is no more haggling. They look it over, log the serial number, and cut you a check for that exact amount. The last time I sold to them it was 5 guitars that I got a quote for via email. When I got there (I’m local to them), I was in and out in 20 minutes. If that had been a Guitar Center I would have been there for hours, and gotten screwed.
I sent them details of two of mine today. We shall see how it goes. I have a shop local to me that told me they would be interested in purchasing them as well but I haven't taken them in yet. I am going to see what CME offers me and then check with my local shop and see what hey will do.

From what I have seen with PS guitars is that unless you are selling them to a dealer or an acquaintance or friend, they are going to take a long time to sell. I have been watching a couple on TGP for over a year. The guy finally sold the one I liked the best and is down to one now.

Does CME own Etsy Inc.? Reverb is owned by Etsy.
The CEO of CME started Reverb, which I think is part of the reason they give top dollar on buying guitars, and are pretty open about the whole thing. Etsy bought Reverb a couple of years ago (or Reverb sold itself to Etsy).

Regardless of the PS model itself, please consider an adjustment of your own expectation management related to the price of your offer.
Though you pay several Grands, please have a look on all those unsold PS on different selling platforms. As long as no celebrity played it in front of an audience for example - certified by a picture of evidence - it will remain as a shop corpse.
I asume, if it is a PS variation of a core model, set your price at the level of the new example of the core version (maybe adding the costs for 10-Top).
PS in general aren't '59 LP, '54 or '57 Strat nor White or Black Guard Teles from the very beginning.

Just to let you guys know: CME is not interested, Gruhn is not interested and it hasn’t sold on Reverb at a price way below what it’s “worth.” No one wants a high-dollar, signed and authenticated, mint condition PRS. I got this guitar in a trade where I got the good end—I thought. Traded a $3k Custom Shop Strat for this guitar if I can’t sell it and buy another Strat, I might as well use it as a boat paddle.

Values were super inflated during the great covid guitar boom. We're seeing prices level off. And honestly, not harshly, people have to be interested in a guitar first regardless of price. These days, even more so, before we part with our cash on a luxury good where the prices are leveling. I wish you the best of luck selling it and the upside is you have a lot of room to wiggle. That was a great trade value wise.

One issue with selling a private stock is that it was built to someone's liking. You have to find another person that also likes those options that has the money that is interested in buying it. I saw your ad for it. There are a few things about it that would keep me from buying it and they are options that were chosen for the build.

Add on top of that, dealers are willing to give deals on these guitars. I have been looking at some PS guitars and the ones I have inquired about were immediately discounted from the advertised price. One of them took 2k right off the top before I even started any negotiations for a brand new one.

It is going to take some time to sell. I have watched a guy selling a couple on TGP that took about a year to sell the first one and is probably over a year now for the second of them. I wanted the one that sold but didn't feel comfortable spending that much at the time it was for sale.

I know it’s sacrilege on this forum, but I never have been a die hard PRS fan. Great guitars, but I still
Prefer my Fenders and Gibsons. The neck on this Private Stock is way too thick for my smaller hands. It is very difficult for me to play with any fluency. Thought I had made a great deal. lol. Evidently not. Something is only worth what someone will pay for it. My buddy paid list of very close to list (he is wealthy and doesn’t haggle much). List was $8999.00. I have pics of the add. I dropped it to $6700. Nothing.

I know it’s sacrilege on this forum, but I never have been a die hard PRS fan. Great guitars, but I still
Prefer my Fenders and Gibsons. The neck on this Private Stock is way too thick for my smaller hands. It is very difficult for me to play with any fluency. Thought I had made a great deal. lol. Evidently not. Something is only worth what someone will pay for it. My buddy paid list of very close to list (he is wealthy and doesn’t haggle much). List was $8999.00. I have pics of the add. I dropped it to $6700. Nothing.
I can’t see it selling at that price. It’s too close to the new price for someone who wants a PS not to go new and get exactly what they want rather than get something two other people didn’t want.

Here's my point of view...

If I'm spending that kind of coin, I'm getting exactly what I want and not someone else's seconds or thirds If I'm buying private stock, it's going to be my specs; not yours, or something a dealer pulled out his ass.

If list was $9,000, I might give you $5,000 if it is exactly what I want and it is pristine.

Not trying to be a dick, but a lot of the private stock I've seen border on gawdy. What I want, could easily be satisfied with a core 10-top or wood library.

IMO, you're waiting on the that 'one special buyer'.

Regardless of my beliefs, good luck in your sale.

Last edited:
Back