Backing track equipment

Kyguitar23

I would like to find some equipment to create my own backing tracks to jam to. Was just wondering what you all use for that, and if you’d have any insights or suggestions. Thanks

I'm on a Mac, using either LogicPro or ProTools. If you use a Mac, there's also Garage Band, which comes w/the OS free.

For instruments, I'm usually playing any bass parts. I'm using some combo of EZDrummer 3, Steven Slate Drums, BFD, and a few Native Instruments drum packages. Sometimes MIDI grooves that come w/the software, sometimes I play the parts through an Alesis drum pad module, and most often it's a combo because I can't find exactly what I want. Keyboards, strings, etc. are almost always virtual instruments, although I'll sometimes use the sounds in my Korg Karma.

I find what works best for me is to put up a guide drum part instead of a click - it just feels more natural. Beyond that, it's just experimenting with mics, mic placement, etc. to find what works.

I usually record full versions of songs for myself, and backing tracks for my mother to play at church. For my own purposes, I've been mixing the full version and then just a backing track to have something to play to just to get my fingers moving. It also lets my playing on the song evolve, sometimes to the point that I listen back to the full recording and wonder what I was thinking.

I don't usually post the backing tracks, but for some reason I did with this one.

My skill as a player benefited immensely from getting an interface and starting to record at home - even just as a way to create song demos, and then was very useful as a self evaluation tool, as well, listening back to my playing. And, of course, you can use that to create backing tracks. More expensive than a looper pedal, but IMO much more useful as well.

I would like to find some equipment to create my own backing tracks to jam to. Was just wondering what you all use for that, and if you’d have any insights or suggestions. Thanks
I have Protools, but unless I want my guitar "in the mix" to record it, I just drag an MP3 into an AT4 (Amplitube 4) track and play "on top" of it.

There are tonnes of backing tracks available on YouTube of just about any progression you can think of, which can be converted to MP3 and downloaded for free. All yours for the searching. The whole process takes less than 10 minutes.

Rather than worry about my perfect volume and tone in the mix I just turn myself up and play louder than the rest of the band. lol

Allows for way more playing time and way less fooling around. Of course if you are composing and recording this is not an option. But great for getting a jam up and running.

Just my $.02.

There are a number of ways to do this. I am not sure how much you want to play and record, like bass and drums etc..

There are a lot of backing tracks on YouTube. You can rip the audio off of those and then drop that into a DAW then record yourself playing along with it.

Another option that has a kind of substantial up front cost is to look into Band In A Box. It is a pretty cool piece of software. I have it.

If you don't have DAW software you can download Audacity for free. It will let you do multi tracking. It is more stripped down than a real DAW but is good for quick things. If you are on a PC you can also download Cakewalk for free. It is a fully functional DAW that is free. It is worth looking at. Another option that is pretty cheap is Reaper. You can get that for Windows or Mac.

I have been playing with creating backing tracks a little. I want to get a recording and jamming thing off the ground here. I have been stalled a bit lately and have plans to be out of town this weekend and next so I won't get back to it for a bit.

And for the record, I am watching this thread and watching the names of those that are looking to do this. It would be great to get a lot of participation in this jam and record thing and make some music with these beautiful PRS guitars.

I approach it like a production. I create a groove in ProTools with EZDrummer. Then, if I am feeling lazy - like for a guitar demo, or practicing a new technique in a specific key - I move to EZBass. Then I will play along until I come up with a cool riff or chord progression that doesn't mimic the bass. Sometimes, it goes the other way - I play to a groove, develop guitar parts and then add my own bass....

Once those three elements are in place, I will bounce the track and I have created something to practice over.

Boss Looper pedals, they are the best options. Not only do they come in all shapes and sizes but they can hook up to your interface to send the saved tracks straight to a PA or a laptop/pc for recording/exporting.

There's nothing better on the market really.

Last edited:
I'm on a Mac, using either LogicPro or ProTools. If you use a Mac, there's also Garage Band, which comes w/the OS free.

For instruments, I'm usually playing any bass parts. I'm using some combo of EZDrummer 3, Steven Slate Drums, BFD, and a few Native Instruments drum packages. Sometimes MIDI grooves that come w/the software, sometimes I play the parts through an Alesis drum pad module, and most often it's a combo because I can't find exactly what I want. Keyboards, strings, etc. are almost always virtual instruments, although I'll sometimes use the sounds in my Korg Karma.

I find what works best for me is to put up a guide drum part instead of a click - it just feels more natural. Beyond that, it's just experimenting with mics, mic placement, etc. to find what works.

I usually record full versions of songs for myself, and backing tracks for my mother to play at church. For my own purposes, I've been mixing the full version and then just a backing track to have something to play to just to get my fingers moving. It also lets my playing on the song evolve, sometimes to the point that I listen back to the full recording and wonder what I was thinking.

I don't usually post the backing tracks, but for some reason I did with this one.

Mama @alantig must rock the lid off the font.

I take YouTube videos and use Moises to separate the tracks then drop the tracks I don’t want, export tracks separately and load them into individual tracks in Logic Pro where I’m connected using my ME90 as an audio interface and have all options available to jam to anything I want.

I’m also looking at the boss rc10r

For my own backing tracks / song writing I just use the logic drummer and find roughly what I want then layer on top of that track by track

If you're on a Mac then GarageBand comes with amp sims, drum loops (and other loops) and may be all you'll ever need. If someday you find GarageBand lacking then upgrade to Logic or another DAW.

Rather than worry about my perfect volume and tone in the mix I just turn myself up and play louder than the rest of the band. lol

You're a guitar player on a guitar forum and you said the quiet part out loud.:eek: You're not supposed to acknowledge that we all knowingly do that.

Back