Artist V Pickup swap

Chester

Would be interested to hear if any Artist V owners have swaped out pups, to what, and why

Through my current rigs, the V tends towards that midrange honk that I used to love, but no longer works for my current projects. The feel of the guitar is outstanding. I do not want to sell or trade it, so a pup swap could be the answer

Amongst my PRS stable, I have an Artist III with uncovered Artist Treb / Bass which sound excellent. Open, gritty with bite, and capable of serious growl when set to stun. Nice balance across the spectrum, with zero honk. If I could get the V in that territory, it would kill

Based in the UK, I do not have access to PTC, and could go with BK Pups fitted by a local tech if I could find the right fit. 59/09's could also be an option, which I understand I could order direct from PRS, but any feedback and advice would be appreciated

Personally, I dug the pickups on my Artist V (sold to fund a PS, but an amazing instrument nonetheless). Folks seem to want the PAF sound, which of course is all about that prominent midrange, and that's what BK offers as well.

If memory serves, the pickups on my Artist II were the same or quite similar to the III, and certainly different from the V, so I'm a bit familiar with what you're discussing here.

My experience being able to compare the 58/15s and 85/15s, which is the same pickup except the 58s have covers, is that you get a brighter and more open sound with an uncovered pickup. Also, the brightness accentuates the harmonics coming from the lower notes, giving them more apparent articulation. I'm not claiming one is preferable to the other, but they are different.

I haven't got a pickup recommendation for you, but I would consider an uncovered pickup if what you're missing is more openness.

Personally, I dug the pickups on my Artist V (sold to fund a PS, but an amazing instrument nonetheless). Folks seem to want the PAF sound, which of course is all about that prominent midrange, and that's what BK offers as well.

If memory serves, the pickups on my Artist II were the same or quite similar to the III, and certainly different from the V, so I'm a bit familiar with what you're discussing here.

My experience being able to compare the 58/15s and 85/15s, which is the same pickup except the 58s have covers, is that you get a brighter and more open sound with an uncovered pickup. Also, the brightness accentuates the harmonics coming from the lower notes, giving them more apparent articulation. I'm not claiming one is preferable to the other, but they are different.

I haven't got a pickup recommendation for you, but I would consider an uncovered pickup if what you're missing is more openness.

I hear ya on the uncovered pups - most certainly my preferred option, and is where this one will probably go. Of my 13 PRSi, 9 sport uncovered pups, which I like a lot. Having said that, I have a 5 way option on covered 59/09's in a PS CU24 which are wonderfully woody, rich and open, with lots of bite, particularly in those in between positions. Perhaps a set of those, or Bass / HSF could work better for me in the V

How much do you think the ebony FB contributes to the honk response?

How much do you think the ebony FB contributes to the honk response?

Zero.

What I find with ebony is a bit faster attack on the note. That's one thing that gives it an apparent "brightness," since the attack portion of a note gives it cut, and what the ear picks up as a good portion of the tone.

In my experience with the same models with and without ebony, ebony fretboards have a less midrange-centered sound overall. And it's the accent on midrange that gives a guitar a nasal sound (that's what my interpretation of your word "honk" is).

However, an awful lot depends on your signal chain, that is, amps, speakers, and pedals. F'rinstance, my DG30 amp is a lot more centered on the midrange than my HXDA or Mesa Lone Star, amps with quite different frequency curves. Guitars and pickups do different things with different amps.

I didn't find my Artist V the least bit "honky" sounding, but maybe that's to do with the amps and other gear I used with it. Also, I play mostly "edge of grit" or light gain. I'm not a high gain player. As you increase or decrease gain, the character of the tone changes because the signal becomes more or less saturated, and the lower mids increase/decrease quite a bit, too as the signal clips or doesn't clip.

All of this stuff is entirely subjective, of course!

Zero.

What I find with ebony is a bit faster attack on the note. That's one thing that gives it an apparent "brightness," since the attack portion of a note gives it cut, and what the ear picks up as a good portion of the tone.

In my experience with the same models with and without ebony, ebony fretboards have a less midrange-centered sound overall. And it's the accent on midrange that gives a guitar a nasal sound (that's what my interpretation of your word "honk" is).

However, an awful lot depends on your signal chain, that is, amps, speakers, and pedals. F'rinstance, my DG30 amp is a lot more centered on the midrange than my HXDA or Mesa Lone Star, amps with quite different frequency curves. Guitars and pickups do different things with different amps.

I didn't find my Artist V the least bit "honky" sounding, but maybe that's to do with the amps and other gear I used with it. Also, I play mostly "edge of grit" or light gain. I'm not a high gain player. As you increase or decrease gain, the character of the tone changes because the signal becomes more or less saturated, and the lower mids increase/decrease quite a bit, too as the signal clips or doesn't clip.

All of this stuff is entirely subjective, of course!

Totally agree with your take on Ebony boards. In my tiny little mind, i find that the Ebony provides a little extra something that I call "sizzle", which I happen to love.

Totally agree with your take on Ebony boards. In my tiny little mind, i find that the Ebony provides a little extra something that I call "sizzle", which I happen to love.

I find it also gives the player a very solid fundamental note. It's a beautiful sounding fretboard wood on the right instrument.

Notes seem to "fly off the fretboard," is a comment I've often heard.

Of course, the effect of any material on tone is a balancing act that depends on the rest of the instrument, and desirability depends on one's musical intentions. Still, I feel that the Artist V is one of the best sounding guitars I've owned.

Totally concur with what's been said about ebony boards.

I also find the description of AV pickups as "honky" a little surprising - though I think it does come out a little in position 3, both hums on. Of course, everyone's setup, amp, etc.. is different.

I happen to love everything about my AV, it might be my favorite PRS, which is saying a lot. FWIW, when I've asked what the AV pups are based on - I've been told they are pretty close to the 59/09s, so switching to those might not make much of a difference.

I am another fan of ebony boards......I am scoping out a possible custom build right now that would have an ebony board on a korina neck, with a chambered korina body. And a few other tweaks......Inspired by one really great guitar I played recently. I think that combination would be great in a "594", but right now I am sold on 25.5" scales.

I have had great results with the Aftermath and Juggernauts. I highly recommend them.

Back