Are there any tonal differences between the DC and SC McCarty SE?

I have both the DC and SC 594, but the core version. There are two differences to consider in the case of the core which I am not sure if they translate similarly to the SE. I offer them only as a thought because one of the two does not apply to the SE model. First, the core 594's have different pickups in the DC and SC, 58/15 LT and 58/15 LT+, respectively. The SE DC and SC both have the 58/15 LT-S pickups. Second, there is a significant weight/mass difference as you would expect between a DC and SC. As I said, I do not know which of these two have more impact on the tone, but for my tastes there is a major tonal difference between the two.

I play moderate to high gain, mainly rhythm. The DC sounds "thinner" to me and has far less low end. While I am able to get a good/useable tone from the DC, it requires a bit more from a boost pedal and minor adjustments on a 10-band EQ. If I A/B the two guitars with the same setup, I prefer the SC every time.

From all of the reviews I watched/read both of the SE 594's are excellent instruments. Considering they both have the same pick-ups, I would expect the biggest difference to be in the low end on their sounds. It is a tough choice, but one where either option is a very good instrument. Best of luck.

First, the core 594's have different pickups in the DC and SC, 58/15 LT and 58/15 LT+, respectively.

They.started the + in 2020..The SC has had a few variations of the 5815LT over the years.

OP- yes there's a difference in tone. I'd suggest to go play some and pick what's best to you. Personally after plenty of A/B I'd be looking at the s2 over the se. Yes, the sale is hard to beat on the se, but everytime I've preferred the s2. The used market has some smokin deals out there if you're patient.

Good luck on the hunt!

Or is it all visual?

There are differences - but from my perspective, not enough to make me pick one over the other purely based on 'tone'. I must admit though that when it came to me choosing between the SC and DC versions, they hadn't revised the models with TCI pick-ups, the LT+ Pups etc so both SC/DC had the SAME 58/15 LT's. I was sure that I could tweak some settings on the Amp or Pedals to make them closer if required and probably couldn't tell them apart in a mix.

I'm sure having more wood on the bass side connected to the neck at a higher fret will make some difference - its just whether or not its 'enough' to push you to purchasing one over the other. As I said, it wasn't really enough to me as I preferred the DC for other reasons - weight, handshake (the neck has slightly better access due to joining at a higher fret and the heel isn't as far up the neck either) and I like the PRS DC body shape more than their SC shape.

At the end of the day, its still going to come down to you and your preference. Some don't like a toggle on a upper horn - unless its on a SC style for example so that may be more of a factor to them than the tonal differences. Its your money, you that will be playing it so it really should be your preference that decides which you should choose.

I have both the DC and SC 594, but the core version. There are two differences to consider in the case of the core which I am not sure if they translate similarly to the SE. I offer them only as a thought because one of the two does not apply to the SE model. First, the core 594's have different pickups in the DC and SC, 58/15 LT and 58/15 LT+, respectively. The SE DC and SC both have the 58/15 LT-S pickups. Second, there is a significant weight/mass difference as you would expect between a DC and SC. As I said, I do not know which of these two have more impact on the tone, but for my tastes there is a major tonal difference between the two.

I play moderate to high gain, mainly rhythm. The DC sounds "thinner" to me and has far less low end. While I am able to get a good/useable tone from the DC, it requires a bit more from a boost pedal and minor adjustments on a 10-band EQ. If I A/B the two guitars with the same setup, I prefer the SC every time.

From all of the reviews I watched/read both of the SE 594's are excellent instruments. Considering they both have the same pick-ups, I would expect the biggest difference to be in the low end on their sounds. It is a tough choice, but one where either option is a very good instrument. Best of luck.

Does the additional low-end from the single cut lead to more flubbiness/darkness, or is it more of a chug? I too play high gain rhythm stuff the most. I have kind of a darker setup (MT15 through a 1x12) so I'm worried the single cut might exacerbate the slight muddiness. I already have to crank the treble/presence and use a TS9 to get bright enough tones for lower volumes. On the other hand, I'd be worried about the double cut not providing enough punch on palm muted stuff.

One man's flubby is another man's beauty! :)

This can be helped with guitar knobs, pup adjustments, and of course pickup swaps. The 5815LTS in my seHb2 were very receptive to tweaks. But if you're worried, I really would go play them or get the DC.

Does the additional low-end from the single cut lead to more flubbiness/darkness, or is it more of a chug? I too play high gain rhythm stuff the most. I have kind of a darker setup (MT15 through a 1x12) so I'm worried the single cut might exacerbate the slight muddiness. I already have to crank the treble/presence and use a TS9 to get bright enough tones for lower volumes. On the other hand, I'd be worried about the double cut not providing enough punch on palm muted stuff.
I doubt the pickups in a 594 would be what you’re after for tight chug stuff. A different bridge pickup suited to your style would probably be the way to go. Or maybe a tremonti Se?

I doubt the pickups in a 594 would be what you’re after for tight chug stuff. A different bridge pickup suited to your style would probably be the way to go. Or maybe a tremonti Se?

Well, I already have a couple guitars with high output "metal" pickups. I want something different sounding. When I said high gain rhythm stuff I didn't really mean super chunky metal stuff. I like how PAF style pickups sound under high gain, so this caught my eye. I want something different than what I would normally go for. Also, if I but the guitar, I'd probably change the bridge pickups. I'm just following the advice of someone in another thread when they told me to stick with the stock pickup at first just to make sure you don't like it. I'll probably put in an SH-5 if I don't.

I actually just bought and returned an SE Custom. It sounded great and did the aggressive/percussive thing well, but it sounded too much like my other guitars.
There's actually a used Holcomb SE (the one with the Alpha/Omega pickups) for sale locally for 750, but again, I want something different sounding.

Well, I already have a couple guitars with high output "metal" pickups. I want something different sounding. When I said high gain rhythm stuff I didn't really mean super chunky metal stuff. I like how PAF style pickups sound under high gain, so this caught my eye. I want something different than what I would normally go for. Also, if I but the guitar, I'd probably change the bridge pickups. I'm just following the advice of someone in another thread when they told me to stick with the stock pickup at first just to make sure you don't like it. I'll probably put in an SH-5 if I don't.

I actually just bought and returned an SE Custom. It sounded great and did the aggressive/percussive thing well, but it sounded too much like my other guitars.
There's actually a used Holcomb SE (the one with the Alpha/Omega pickups) for sale locally for 750, but again, I want something different sounding.

Only you will know if the Guitar is going to fulfil the needs you want, whether the SC is more 'flubby/darker' to you than you want or even more so than the DC. It really is 'individual' preference. I'll happily use my 594 DC to play ANYTHING, inc Palm-muted stuff and be 'OK' with it but you may think it lacks the Punch you want.

You also will likely have a different rig to me so all I can suggest is that you try them yourself and decide which, if any, will give you the 'tone' you want and by trying them yourself, you'll know which is 'right' - if any - for you to purchase and won't feel like maybe you should have gone a different route. For some the difference maybe too much for them that they consider them 'different' instruments and another may think they are close enough that they don't 'differ' as much as some models with supposedly the exact same specs. But as its your money, you that will play through your rig, only you can decide if its suitable for what you are looking for or not...

Gotcha. 5708 bridge sounds great with the MT15, there are other similar pickups at lower prices but I like the 5708 a bunch. I actually replaced the bridge pickup in my core 594 with one.

Gotcha. 5708 bridge sounds great with the MT15, there are other similar pickups at lower prices but I like the 5708 a bunch. I actually replaced the bridge pickup in my core 594 with one.
Best of both worlds LT in the neck and 5708 or 5909 in the bridge. I have two guitars set up this way. One with the 5708 and another with a covered 5909 in the bridge.

I haven’t played the 5909 in a few years now. Used to use them quite a bit. Not sure what happened. Now that I think back, after I got my PS with a \m/ bridge and 5708 neck, I literally didn’t play another guitar for almost 5 years.
Best of both worlds LT in the neck and 5708 or 5909 in the bridge. I have two guitars set up this way. One with the 5708 and another with a covered 5909 in the bridge.

I haven’t played the 5909 in a few years now. Used to use them quite a bit. Not sure what happened. Now that I think back, after I got my PS with a \m/ bridge and 5708 neck, I literally didn’t play another guitar for almost 5 years.
The new 5708 bridge is closer to the 5909 than the older one. It's almost like a hybrid of 5909 and 5708. Though my covered 5909 is different than my uncovered. And as always there's the variance from guitar to guitar too.

The metal and 5708 sounds like a cool combo, sorta Tremonti-esque

Back