Archon + G Major 2

JPig

Hi all, new to the board! I've owned my Archon for 2 years now and have been living with the loud hiss from my effects loop. Now that I'll be playing live, I need to get this fixed.

With a cable going from the send to return, the loop barely makes an audible hum, but with my G Major 2 there is an obnoxious hiss (white noise). It's so loud that I actually need to speak up to be heard over it. Has anyone had any luck with a G Major 2 in the loop? I've tried every setting imaginable on the G Major, but the hiss doesn't get any quieter or even louder. Thanks!

I think if you search on "archon hiss effects loop" or the like, you'll find other people have this issue, but only with some equipment. I forget what the solution was, though -- impedance mismatch? In other words, the Archon can only handle "friendly" equipment. Add a DI? I know, it's not optimal, but if you're married to the G Major 2...

Empress Buffer+ helped me with my pedals making noise in the effects loop and gave me a solo boost for the dirty channel which can't be boosted very well from in front...

Thanks for the help guys! I'll try a buffer+ in the loop, if not I'll have to find something else that works. I love the G Major 2, but I love the Archon more.

Talk to Elvis! He just got an Archon and is well versed in loops and their needs. I think he said a buffer fixed it for him, but hopefully he'll be along soon with some input.

I don't know much about this problem other than the little I have read about FX loop issues with the Archon. If you can get a factory fix, I strongly recommend it.

Second, the fact that the G Major settings don't change anything suggest to me that the problem may be either ground loop or oscillation.

For ground loop, I'd try an Ebtech HE-2 in line with both the send and return to the G Major.

For oscillation, I'd try a buffer. The G Major has a low impedance input, and even without a lot of noise, very often the tone is affected because amp FX send circuits are not in general designed to drive them. Even "buffered" FX sends tend to have a lot of series impedance that is either designed to protect the amp circuits and tubes, or the user from high voltage faults. AT this point I always put a decent buffer between the amp FX send and whatever it is driving.

I definitely need the factory fix, just been too lazy to mail it back to PRS. It was one of the first ones built in April/May of 2014.

I'm going to try a buffer and the ebtech. I'll let you know how it works. Thank you!

Hey I had the same problem with my Archon when running it with a tc electronics g system. The empress buffer does help bcs of the noise knob but it's better fought through the fx loop. I had an on board noise gate that came in the g system. I'd suggest trying a noise gate, I'm not sure if the g major has one, as I've never owned one. I think it should bcs it's virtually the same unit as a g system. Hope that helps man, cheers!

Ok, I'll try that, It's really quiet with the Buffer+, just seeing if the ebtech would be more awesome haha

The thing about ground loops is that your system can be fine at home but then be really buzzy at a venue. I like to keep isolation transformers in the system wherever I can get them to work without hurting the tone just so that when I get to a venue I don't have to fight them as often.

Right now I am using a Furman power conditioner with everything plugged into it and proper cables (humbuster cables on Insert send and return) and I don't have any ground loop problems. My G System brain is racked with some pedals that are all powered from a Pedal Power 2. I think that the G Major should work similarly, though I don't know if it has pseudo-differential connectors like the G System.

In the end, whatever works for you... works.

I tried the Ebtech at lunch and found it worked when only used before the return goes back into the effects send. So my optimal setup right now is the send going straight to my Empress Buffer+, then to my Strymon Timeline, then Hardwire Reverb and Hardwire Chorus, then back to the Buffer+, then to the Ebtech, then to the Amp's return.
The Ebtech killed the tiny remaining hiss I had, and also stopped the popping when I engaged the loop!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm looking for some feedback on what I think is an exact situation.

I just got an Archon 50 combo. The manufacturing date is 11-15. I have a gmajor 2 that I would like to run in the effects loop. I'm not married to the gmajor but it is convenient for my setup.

Based on this thread I've tried an Ebtec HE2 and tc electronic bonafide buffer. I also picked up an Ebtech hum-x. I haven't been able to put together a combination that eliminates or reduces the audible hiss. The source is definitely when the gmajor is plugged in. A jumper cable between the loop or putting a pedal in the loop doesn't get the same noise.

I've tried every permutation that I know of from HE2 only on the send, only on the return, and both. I've tried all of those combinations with the buffer on one side or the other to no avail.

I have everything running into a monster power conditioner for power. I tried the hum x on every device in the chain to no avail.

If I FFT the hiss it seems to clearly have a 60 and 120 HZ signature. See below.

57EAC6CE-6DDB-4F88-877F-4E7F1088A3B8_zpsyttupdpv.png

Any ideas that I should try? I have not tried contacting PRS yet but can. Just seems like this is a gmajor issue and not an Archon issue.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Some effects/systems just don't play well with some amps. Hopefully someone has a solution for you.

Back