Anybody know about SE Torero's?

Mixstar

Just too tired . . .
I've just been browsing the local ad's and found this:

According to the present owner:
Used but excellent condition, EMGs and Floyd Rose. Pro luthier set-up with extremely low action. Comes with Gator hard shell case.
I don't know the year of manufacture yet but I have asked. It's listed for sale for £400 (± $620US) As I haven't heard of a Torero before I thought I'd ask here, any thoughts? Negative and positive welcome :top:

They're a lot more prevalent over here, as they're current production. They're an SE, and they come in purple, that's all I know. Not familiar with the pickups, so haven't purchased one, myself. Sorry, that's all I got.

Maybe now that I'm comfortable with swapping pickups I'll pick one up.

I think they're pretty cool. Somewhat unique, and the SE Clint Lowery has it too, is the 25.5 scale length. The Torero has an ebony board which is cool, a Floyd Rose and EMG pickups. I've never used a FR, but I've heard changing strings is a hassle with them, but they stay in tune very well. It does seem geared towards metal oriented music, but it doesn't have to be. They're pretty expensive for the SE line in general, close to $1k here in the US. I'd hit it if you think you get a good deal.

$1069 new. I might mention, with a maple neck and ebony board, I would expect this guitar to be fairly bright overall, so bear that in mind.

With case it is a decent price I would think. I have one and really like it but I did swap the pickups for the EMG 57/66 set.

I suppose too, one of the important features, and therefore increased price of the Torero is the Floyd Rose. If you don't wail on it much, I wouldn't go this route, the standard tremolo is quite good as is.

Thanks for the input, the owner hasn't replied yet :mad:

Although it's in the "local ads" it's a bit of a schlep, three hours through bandit country so I want to make sure it's the business before I risk my life. I'll see if he'll bend on the price a bit or ship it to me.

-Mick

Edit: Some of the screws around the pups and selector switches look a bit rough to me like they've been messed with. Hopefully it will just be a trick of the light.

Last edited:
Heard nothing from the guy so I reckon it's a dead deal but, I've got my eye on something else. It's 5 miles away and I'm going for a look see tomorrow at 10am.

All the Torero's at my local Sam Ash are reduced to $599 - they have a couple white ones left and I thought one other color but can't remember (it was a darker color for sure).

Thought about grabbing one at that price to have a Floyd-equipped guitar but haven't done so yet.

Back