Anybody into StarTrek Strange New Worlds?

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
We (my girlfriend and I) watched the last season and now season 2 has started on Paramount.

We really like it! Like the characters and the actors portraying them.

I think it and "Next generation" are the two best off shoots.

Very progressive message too about equality and all that good stuff.

Worth checking out!

I'm enjoying it more than I enjoyed "Discovery". Haven't seen the newest episode yet (S2 E2), but I am not really a fan of the new engineer. I don't think she fits at all... but then I've never liked that actress in anything. I'll give her a chance, for awhile.

I'm enjoying it more than I enjoyed "Discovery". Haven't seen the newest episode yet (S2 E2), but I am not really a fan of the new engineer. I don't think she fits at all... but then I've never liked that actress in anything. I'll give her a chance, for awhile.
Carol Kane? The character who lives forever? At first I didn't know what to make of her. By the end of the episode I liked her a lot!

We (my girlfriend and I) watched the last season and now season 2 has started on Paramount.

We really like it! Like the characters and the actors portraying them.

I think it and "Next generation" are the two best off shoots.

Very progressive message too about equality and all that good stuff.

Worth checking out!

(Life long Trekie fan here....) On a scale of 1 to 10, how "woke" is it?

You’ll like it. I got a deal on Paramount through my subscription to Amazon Prime.
Do you get a free subscription through amazon or just a discount. I watched the first episode for free and quite liked it but not sure I want another subscription.

Carol Kane? The character who lives forever? At first I didn't know what to make of her. By the end of the episode I liked her a lot!

Yes. She always plays the same role... Taxi, Scrooged, now Strange New Worlds.... it's a weird, over-the-top, unrealistic sort of personality, and I've never enjoyed it in anything. But since I love SNW, I'll give her a chance.

It was a shame... I didn't like the first engineer that much either, but by the time they killed him off, he was getting REALLY interesting. They really could have done alot with that character, such a shame.

Yes. She always plays the same role... Taxi, Scrooged, now Strange New Worlds.... it's a weird, over-the-top, unrealistic sort of personality, and I've never enjoyed it in anything. But since I love SNW, I'll give her a chance.

It was a shame... I didn't like the first engineer that much either, but by the time they killed him off, he was getting REALLY interesting. They really could have done alot with that character, such a shame.
Yes. I wonder if he’ll return. I liked that character!

we're partway through season one. we love how it is episodic and not a season-long, dragged-out story line. some interesting takes on spock, t'pring, and nurse chapel. pike is great, and amazingly like the original kirk. never cared for any franchise other than the original.

we're partway through season one. we love how it is episodic and not a season-long, dragged-out story line. some interesting takes on spock, t'pring, and nurse chapel. pike is great, and amazingly like the original kirk. never cared for any franchise other than the original.
Gotta like the new Nurse Chapel, the new Uhuru and the new Spock!

I liked Next Generation but got bored with it eventually and didn't watch all of them. I liked Worf though. And Picard.

Didn't get into Deep Sh!t Nine. They're always getting into some deep sh!t on that show.

I like it pretty well. I think I liked 'Discovery' more, mostly because the individual episodes and overall story arc of the seasons were so complex. I also felt the unbelievable SciFi elements that all these shows have were somehow made a tiny bit more believable.

Strange New Worlds seems a bit 'lighter' overall -not that that's a bad thing. And the Christopher Pike character is great.

Yes, some of the characters are nothing like the originals (Uhura and Chapel for sure), but I just look past such complained-about "inconsistencies" and enjoy the shows. I actually think Spock has been great, and NOT very "inconsistent." I think that actor (Ethan Peck) has done an even better job at playing Spock than Zachary Quinto did in the reboot movies, and Quinto was awesome.

Pike is an enigma. Probably my favorite captain of all-time, even after only one season. Great character, great actor portraying him, damn shame what his future holds. I hope we get at least several seasons of SNW before that happens.

Now.. if you want to talk about people who simply can't JUST ENJOY something, you've got to check out the Star Wars and Middle Earth groups on FB. Nothing but a bunch of complainers and Monday-morning quarterbacks!! ***** ***** *****. They can't JUST BE HAPPY that something they love is being extended ... because it's not the way THEY would have done it... but then being unhappy and outraged seems to be the new identity trend in society today. Sigh.

SW.jpg

DISCLAMER: Minor nerd rant incoming. Brace for impact.

I havent seen Strange New Worlds yet, but...I really cant stand any of the new Star Trek series. I loathe Picard, and Discovery was cool for a while, but then it lost focus. I don't think anyone knows what to do with Star Trek anymore. ST always had a more geeky, political drama feel to it, and most of old school Trek conflicts had little to do with edgy action hero stuff, but that seems to be the direction its going these days. Its part of why I never liked the TNG movies at all, and I feel the same about the new JJ Abrams TOS films. The old school TOS films are great. The Motion Picture, Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home....*chef's kiss*. Picard is just straight sacrilegious. When Jean-Luc got cussed out by a Starfleet admiral, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I grew up on TNG, and its still my favorite series to this day, but I dunno....only a matter of time before we get a TNG reboot series. Oh lord....

I’ve watched a lot of Star Trek, but my enjoyment of it really fell off with Enterprise. The new movies don’t do anything for me. They’re just action movies, wrapped in a familiar (maybe) setting. I generally don’t like old characters being changed, as I enjoy the old characters for what they were.

That’s my problem with “new” Star Wars, too. It’s the same stories being retold, with old characters being brought in to try to create continuity where no continuity exists. With such a big playground, just start fresh. Give me something new while giving me the gift of compartmentalizing my old memories and nostalgia.

And the new SW movies never had a chance with anyone who read Zahn’s books. The books were just too good.

Back