Am I crazy...?

Your problem exists because of a lack of adherence to the rules of acquisition. Specifically number 5 and it sounds like it's origin lies in number 6. Here they are:

Rules of acquisition:

1. Never go into debt for a hobby/pastime; never.
2. Never use money that is needed for living expenses; never.
3. If you want it and can afford it, buy it.
4. Trade or buy in the used market to try all the guitars and amps you want, and turn them later if you want, without loosing any money.
5. One in, one out, is useless limiting. Trade what you want, keep what you want.
6. Marry a woman who loves to see you happy (you also need to let her do the things that make her happy). Agree on a budget and stick to it. There is no need to hide or deceive for either of you.
7. Insure the expensive ones.
8. If you learn the other rules correctly, you can have more worth in your gear than you have diverted money.

Since number 6 has already happened, you can't/shouldn't change it. I still think you can get to where you want to be. Keep the Cu22. You will miss it if you don't. We hear the stories all the time. But rule #5 says you don't have to sell. Tell the missus that you want to save some amount each month until you can buy the S2 with cash. If you skip lunches, or deliver pizzas until you have the cash to buy it, you can say it didn't cause any hit to the budget. She should be ok with that and you get to add one to the inventory.

I guess I didn’t clarify, if I went with a Mccarty 594, it would be a core model. I just don’t know if the humbuckers will move me... but I do like the idea of the low output
The 58/15 LT pickups are excellent, but whether they move you is up to you. They split incredibly well. I personally put treble bleeds on the volume pots to have them roll off better. The stock treble bleed on a PRS is usually 180 pF. I would recommend playing one before slicing off your sunrise betty.

Man, y’all...this is really got me thinking now. The Sunburst 22 is a sleeping classic, but It’s always the last choice.
Damn, this is tough.
I feel what you’re going through. Back in 2019 when I did the Great Purge I sold a Cu22 that I adored. Just like you, it wasn’t getting much playing time. I immediately regretted it. A week later, I reached out to the shop I sold it to. They were cool enough to let me have it back for what they gave me for it. It still doesn’t get a lot of playing time, but man, the smile it puts on my face when I grab it tells me I did the right thing.

Your problem exists because of a lack of adherence to the rules of acquisition. Specifically number 5 and it sounds like it's origin lies in number 6. Here they are:

Rules of acquisition:

1. Never go into debt for a hobby/pastime; never.
2. Never use money that is needed for living expenses; never.

7. Insure the expensive ones.

#1&2: Yes and yes!

#7: All of them should be insured (for the major perils including fire and theft) under a standard homeowners policy as long as they are not “business” personal property. Unfortunately, the latest ISO forms adhered to by most insurers define “business” as any endeavor where the insured GROSSES $2,000+ annually* (let that sink in!) Oh, and avoid the “TV” insurance companies if you want to be treated fairly.

*Sold any gear for *$2,000+?

#1&2: Yes and yes!

#7: All of them should be insured (for the major perils including fire and theft) under a standard homeowners policy as long as they are not “business” personal property. Unfortunately, the latest ISO forms adhered to by most insurers define “business” as any endeavor where the insured GROSSES $2,000+ annually* (let that sink in!) Oh, and avoid the “TV” insurance companies if you want to be treated fairly.

*Sold any gear for *$2,000+?

Be sure to check your policy coverage cap for musical equipment, how value is determined, and if you get paid to play to determine if you need to adjust.

Be sure to check your policy coverage cap for musical equipment, how value is determined, and if you get paid to play to determine if you need to adjust.

While there may be some rare examples, I have never seen a US homeowners policy with a musical equipment cap (except for overall coverage C, personal property limit). Unless one has an archaic HO policy, the valuation will be “replacement cost”, which can be a problem if one has an instrument with a market value well over RC (extreme example is an original ‘59 LP standard). In that case, one needs a musical instrument inland marine “floater” and it is imperative that it is an AGREED VALUE form (with the limit set at market value based upon an appraisal). If your agent can’t provide an AV musical instrument form, tell him to put it on a FINE ARTS form, which are automatically AV. If he won’t do that, it’s time for a new insurer. Finally, if you are “paid to play”, see my “business” exclusion information in my previous post. If that applies, you may need a specialty insurer like Heritage or a commercial policy.

Last edited:
I have never seen a US homeowners policy with a musical equipment cap (except for overall coverage C, personal property limit). Unless one has an archaic HO policy, the valuation will be “replacement cost”, which can be a problem if one has an instrument with a market value well over RC (extreme example is an original’59 LP standard). In that case, one needs a musical instrument inland marine “floater” and it is imperative that it is an AGREED VALUE form. If your agent can’t provide an AV musical instrument form, tell him to put it on a FINE ARTS form, which are automatically AV. If he won’t do that, it’s time for a new insurer. Finally, if you are “paid to play”, see my “business” exclusion information in my previous post. If that applies, you may need a specialty insurer.

Cap was the wrong word I meant amount or check for item limits. I have to agree on the slippery slope of business exclusions. It never even crossed my mind about selling equipment. Its not like most of have A guitar around here.

The S2 Studio is a fantastic guitar, every bit as good as the demos make it out to be.

But, don’t sell something as rare and awesome as that Sunburst 22 for it. You won’t regret getting the Studio, but you’ll definitely regret selling the Sunburst 22.

Re-thought things over the past week and spent some time with the Sunburst 22 again...and, I’m still letting it go. I just don’t get inspired when I pick it up anymore.
So, I know I’m interested in the s2 studio, but the ce24 Semi-Hollow has also been on my radar. What are some opinions on the two guitars around here. Thanks again everyone for y’all’s input

Back