Am I crazy...?

jjhookemup

Gearoholic
Hey y’all, just wanting to hear some outside opinions on my current quest.
I’ve owned many core models over the years and the main one that has always been with me is my “Sunburst 22” from the limited nitro series. I feel like it’s part of me. It has the first run of the 57/08s( un-etched) and the very thin nitro finish...beautiful! But recently I realized, I really just don’t play it anymore. I’m always playing my McCarty korina (Lollar 50s p90s), my Silver Sky, or my tele.
So I recently found out about the S2 Studio...I know, 2018, a little late, but being a multiple core owner, I never paid much attention. The demos I’ve heard sound phenomenal to me. It’s got that something different. I’ve been on the fence on this one because of what I’m used to , I guess. I’ve also been wanting the McCarty 594 as my other choice.
So what do y’all think. I just put the Sunburst up on Reverb and Ebay...so it’s on.
Am I crazy to sell a core for the S2 studio?

If your tone is leaning towards single-coil--if the rest of your collection tells us anything--you might consider a pickup swap for the 22 if all else is to your liking. Grab some HB-sized Fralin P90s. Bet they'd sound amazing. Your call.

Yeah, I definitely think I’m just not feeling the humbucker vibe anymore.
My thing is though, I have to sell a guitar to get one...y’all know what I mean, it’s that marriage thingo_O. But my stomach turns a little when I think about selling my flagship guitar for an S2, but if the S2 inspires me more...:). Right!?

I would say wait a bit, those sunburst 22s are hard to find, and really nice guitars. I bought one when they were new, and played the crap out of it. I stupidly sold it for the same reason you did (wife) when I "needed" another custom Anderson. The Anderson was nice, but I never bonded with it and moved it on. Then I stupidly passed on buying it back from the guy I sold it to a couple years later. He sent me pics and it had a lot more wear on it. Stupid, most of my guitars end up with bumps and scratches from practice and gigs, and the price was less than he paid me. Plus it had a cool back story involving the excellent PRS CS and their TX sales rep going above and beyond to take care of me.

Having said that, please PM me if you do want to sell it! I no longer have the wife or the one in one out rule. ;)

I think only you can truly answer what the right decision is for you. Just because you aren't playing the guitar so much now, will you miss it if you cannot play it ever again? If the answer is no, then maybe you can sell it for something else but maybe play it again before you do consider selling. I don't really like to sell - even if that enables me to get something new. I have sold things in the past and then a while later, regretted it, needed/wanted it and sometimes even been forced to try and buy another 'similar' one.

Playing it again may reinvigorate your love for the instrument and you may find it difficult to part with.

Yeah, I definitely think I’m just not feeling the humbucker vibe anymore.
My thing is though, I have to sell a guitar to get one...y’all know what I mean, it’s that marriage thingo_O. But my stomach turns a little when I think about selling my flagship guitar for an S2, but if the S2 inspires me more...:). Right!?

I get it but wouldn't do it. My taste changes to often to give up on old faithful. When I'm under one in one out rule I never let one go first. Unless I know I don't like that one and am 1000% positive the one coming in.

Man, y’all...this is really got me thinking now. The Sunburst 22 is a sleeping classic, but It’s always the last choice.
Damn, this is tough.

What’s the S2 Studio gonna give you that you don’t already have?

I mean... I fully understand the desire for something new and shiny but... You really gonna swap a nitro w/unetched 57/08’s for an S2 with an SE trem and some Korean pickups?

Don’t.

Wait guys we're going about this all wrong.. No you're not crazy not at all. I understand and agree. We all understand and are behind you. To make it easy and keep you in good marriage graces I'll take the Sunburst 22 off your hands. Heck, better yet trade you a S2 studio. All I ask in return for this favor is you cover shipping costs for us.

My hunch is you will trade a stallion and forever regret it. The S2 594 is a lot of guitar, no doubt. But based on what you said about your dying love for humbuckers, you might be smitten by the bloom rather than the rose. But only you can say.

What’s the S2 Studio gonna give you that you don’t already have?

I mean... I fully understand the desire for something new and shiny but... You really gonna swap a nitro w/unetched 57/08’s for an S2 with an SE trem and some Korean pickups?

Don’t.

It sounds like you have the single coil thing covered. Like Sergio said, are you gonna let go of a rare and very desirable model to get a nice, but nothing special kind of guitar? You may not bond with it, and then you're right back where you were, except you won't have that killer guitar!
If you can figure out a way to get the S2 studio without getting rid of anything, I'm sure it's worth a try.

My hunch is you will trade a stallion and forever regret it. The S2 594 is a lot of guitar, no doubt. But based on what you said about your dying love
for humbuckers, you might be smitten by the bloom rather than the rose. But only you can say.
I guess I didn’t clarify, if I went with a Mccarty 594, it would be a core model. I just don’t know if the humbuckers will move me... but I do like the idea of the low output

Back