Adjustable Stoptail Saddles Question/Issue

LJD

I was experiencing a sitar-like buzz on my high E string (on my HBII). It was happening open or fretted. Tried action, truss rod adjustment... nothing helped. Upon inspecting the saddle I discovered the string (over time) dug a groove in the saddle notch and it was causing the buzz. This had been a replacement bridge so I swapped the original piezo bridge back on the guitar and problem solved, good as new. Sitar buzz gone.

So the saddle... can it be replaced without purchasing a new (expensive) PRS bridge? Can the burr/notch in the saddle groove be filed or buffed out? I can't figure out how these things are even assembled into the bridge, the intonation guide screw don't seem to be removable. What trickery is this?

I was experiencing a sitar-like buzz on my high E string (on my HBII). It was happening open or fretted. Tried action, truss rod adjustment... nothing helped. Upon inspecting the saddle I discovered the string (over time) dug a groove in the saddle notch and it was causing the buzz. This had been a replacement bridge so I swapped the original piezo bridge back on the guitar and problem solved, good as new. Sitar buzz gone.

So the saddle... can it be replaced without purchasing a new (expensive) PRS bridge? Can the burr/notch in the saddle groove be filed or buffed out? I can't figure out how these things are even assembled into the bridge, the intonation guide screw don't seem to be removable. What trickery is this?

The burr can be filed down.

The intonation screws are held in with C clips.

I'm sure a replacement saddle can be found but it will take some digging.

Sometimes I have luck switching a wound string saddle with the problem saddle. The wound string will sit above the groove. Unless your saddles are individually filed for each string size, of course. Try unscrewing the adjustment screw all the way and see if the saddle will come out?

Carefully filing the burr wouldn't significantly impact the depth of the slot, I don't think.

Those intonation screws will just spin forever due to the C clip that holds them in. You can pluck the clips out with a pair of needle nose pliers If you ever need to remove the saddles.

The burr can wreak havoc on wound strings, too. The only time I've had a saddle burr was on the D string of a Hipshot trem. It would work like a saw and break strings.

Reactions: LJD
Back