A string intonation out of line?

stankbank

Hey friends!

On my S2 594, I can only achieve perfect A string intonation at this saddle location:

It's odd that it is so far ahead of the E and D strings, when generally, we see intonation follow a certain alignment pattern that is staggered (like the G-B-E) strings pictured here. Just curious if anyone has an insight.

From looking at your picture and my 594, I would suspect the low E string instead. Mine are in similar places to yours but my low E string is ahead of the A string on mine. My A string is a little farther away than yours but that could be string gauge or brand.

Is it a brand new S2, or has the nut been replaced? I ask because if we assume the fret placement on the neck is correct, and it's safe to assume for now that it is, the only 2 factors that affect intonation is the bridge saddle location and the nut. If the slot for the A string in the nut is mis-shaped, it could have some effect. That being said.... that saddle is so far out front compared to the E and D strings, that I don't think the nut could possibly be that responsible.

Is it a brand new S2, or has the nut been replaced? I ask because if we assume the fret placement on the neck is correct, and it's safe to assume for now that it is, the only 2 factors that affect intonation is the bridge saddle location and the nut. If the slot for the A string in the nut is mis-shaped, it could have some effect. That being said.... that saddle is so far out front compared to the E and D strings, that I don't think the nut could possibly be that responsible.
Brand new s2. Maybe it’s a weird string?

Well, maybe it is a weird string? I can't say I've run into that before. That is at least an easy thing to fix, if it is the string.

i think several factors can affect the saddles location, that’s why they are adjustable. I have even emailed a particular guitar company asking that save question and they basically said it is not uncommon for that to happen.
Here are some things that I believe can cause that issue, but if the guitar plays in tune, I wouldn’t worry about it.
The way the nut slot is cut ( depth and point the string comes in contact with the nut)
Pickup height
Bridge height
Neck relief
Are strings fully stretched in to the point where they don’t change pitch when stretching.
Different brand guitar strings
Type of tuner you are using.
Do you set intonation right after replacing strings, or do you wait a day? ( I usually wait a few hours or overnight).

I say be glad you can get it intonated.

There was a new guitar line that came out recently with no intonation adjustment. The designer said if the guitar is built and designed correctly no intonation adjustment is needed. All electric guitar have bad design due to this.

He forgot about the PRS stoptail bridge. Finest design ever IMHO

Back