A Somewhat Unsung PRS Hero—Jock Bartley!

68reissue

I grew up hearing the band Firefall on AM radio. Great 70s mellow music, with terrific harmonies, lush production, and sometimes surprisingly fiery guitar work. After grabbing several of the band’s CDs, I did a deep dive on them. Turns out their lead guitarist, Jock Bartley, has been playing a PRS since the 80s, and Paul himself singled him out in an interview when asked about the Custom 24s pickups:

“It was a slightly overwound PAF but had
magnetic pole pieces on the slug side to give it a little more of that Fender snap. I've only seen one or two people who actually understand how to use them. The guitar player in Firefall, Jock Bartley, used to get that tone - half Fender and half Gibson and he was good at it.”

He sure was, and is. The video quality here isn’t the best, but Jock’s playing is!

Last edited:
I grew up hearing the band Firefall on AM radio. Great 70s mellow music, with terrific harmonies, lush production, and sometimes surprisingly fiery guitar work. After grabbing several of the band’s CDs, I did a deep dive on them. Turns out their lead guitarist, Jock Bartley, has been playing a PRS since the 80s, and Paul himself singled him out in an interview when asked about the Custom 24s pickups:

“It was a slightly overwound PAF but had
magnetic pole pieces on the slug side to give it alittle more of that Fender snap. I've only seen one or two people who actually understand how to use them. The guitar player in Firefall, Jock Bartley, used to get that tone - half Fender and half Gibson and he was good at it.”

He sure was, and is. The video quality here isn’t the best, but Jock’s playing is!

That guitar sounds REALLY good!

I remember Firefall very well. But back in the day I never zoned in on the guitar much at all. Then it was the vocal harmonies and overall picture that captivated my interest in just about all bands of that time. Sure, there was Pink Floyd and Zeppelin etc that every rock fan was into, but if they weren't mainstream much of the playing wasn't really the deal. It's good to see and hear what was in the background (then) now that I play and listen to far more than just the "song". Great post!

That guitar sounds REALLY good!
Agreed! He really has quite the touch, and gets a lot of nuance out of that guitar and amp. I listened to the studio version of this tune this morning (he plays a Les Paul on the record). I actually like the live tone of his PRS better.

Agreed! He really has quite the touch, and gets a lot of nuance out of that guitar and amp. I listened to the studio version of this tune this morning (he plays a Les Paul on the record). I actually like the live tone of his PRS better.

Talking about the amp, looks similar to a Roland. Any takers on an ID?

I know he uses a Jazz Chorus onstage. On some of the classic Firefall albums, he played a Fender Super Reverb with 4x10.

Back