60 years ago today.

Mike J.

Can't believe it was 60 years ago today when the Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan show. Jeez, I was 10!!

I remember the excitement you could feel in the air in the few days prior to their appearance.

Find myself missing those times more and more with each passing day.

I remember watching that very well. My parents were aghast at the screaming girls in the audience and openly scorned the whole thing. But they never turned it off either haha. I didn't get the craziness and fandom myself (I was the ripe old age of 6) but I just wanted to see and hear for myself these four English "mop tops" that were all over the radio with "She Loves You". The next day at school, my oldest brother and 3 of his friends went to class with black jeans and t-shirts, hair combed down over their eyes and sunglasses on. At that time, that was total open rebellion and created quite the stir. Their teacher couldn't do anything about the clothes and hair, but "just kindly take off the stupid glasses before we begin." :D
I never knew about their appearance at The Cavern Club a couple years earlier until much later when some of the Beatles early history was made known. That was before Ringo's takeover from Pete Best on the drum kit.
Would be super cool to see that Sullivan Show again and just see if it is what I remember it to be...

I remember watching that very well. My parents were aghast at the screaming girls in the audience and openly scorned the whole thing. But they never turned it off either haha. I didn't get the craziness and fandom myself (I was the ripe old age of 6) but I just wanted to see and hear for myself these four English "mop tops" that were all over the radio with "She Loves You". The next day at school, my oldest brother and 3 of his friends went to class with black jeans and t-shirts, hair combed down over their eyes and sunglasses on. At that time, that was total open rebellion and created quite the stir. Their teacher couldn't do anything about the clothes and hair, but "just kindly take off the stupid glasses before we begin." :D
I never knew about their appearance at The Cavern Club a couple years earlier until much later when some of the Beatles early history was made known. That was before Ringo's takeover from Pete Best on the drum kit.
Would be super cool to see that Sullivan Show again and just see if it is what I remember it to be...
The Beatles Sullivan shows are available on DVD. The cool thing is that the shows are exactley as they aired with the commercials of the day! It's quiet a nostalgic ride to look back upon a time that once was.

I'll never forget the next day at school after the first appearance. I've never seen that place more alive! It was fantastic!

Remember...the album Best of The Beatles was not a compilation record...

Can't believe it was 60 years ago today when the Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan show. Jeez, I was 10!!

I remember the excitement you could feel in the air in the few days prior to their appearance.

Find myself missing those times more and more with each passing day.

That was before Sgt Pepper taught the band to play...

It was 60 years ago today
Ed Sullivan brought a band to play

The Beatles are definitely the delineation line between early Baby Boomers (1946 to 1955) and Late Baby Boomers (1956 to 1964). I was three years old when the Beatles came to America and I have zero affinity for the group. Like most members of the late Baby Boom, the big band of my formative years was Led Zeppelin. What is weird about the early Boomers who were born in the forties is that they tend to have more in common with members of the Silent Generation (the generation to which the Beatles belonged) than they do the latter part of the Baby Boomer whereas Baby Boomers who were born in the sixties tend to have more in common with Gen-X than they do Baby Boomers. I married a Gen-Xer.

Back