594 GAS

So now that the honeymoon phase is over I can say I still love this guitar. Again the larger neck is a non issue with my smaller hands. I always play this thing for hours and I can't figure it out why my hands don't hurt. My Strat has a large neck as well but it cramps my hands in 15 mins (60's oval C). If that strat wasn't a nice custom shop I'd get rid of it just due to the neck but part of me can't let it go. This tapered thing the 594 has must make a difference. The Pickups are certainly not as hot as my les paul. The Sustain isn't there either but none of my PRS sustain like my LP. I just picked up my Les Paul this week since getting the 594 and since it's been months in between playing the two the differences were much more obvious now. The pickups in the LP certainly have more bass, more heavy rock sound to it, and brighter. I'm glad I got the 594, it'll probably stay with me for a long time. It has a different sound to it, almost a more tame LP, and the coil taps are useful on some stuff unlike my LP where the coil taps are useless. On the LP it's either neck or bridge and I'm done, no coil taps. On the 594 I do use the coil taps quite a bit. It's more versatile and since it's more comfortable to play....yeah, it's a good guitar. I'm a PRS fan, I'll admit it. But I look at each brand as their own unique thing. Fender does it's thing, Gibson does it's thing, and PRS too. That's why I have all of them. But my PRS get played far more often.

Nice! Yeah I can totally relate actually. I used to get the same cramps with the strats, but it was due to neck shape. I do think the radius has something to do with it as well. Which is why I love the neck on my R7, however it does get tiring after a while, I think this is because of the 12" radius. This is why I think I mainly love PRS guitars so much, due to the 10" radius is a nice balance.

I think I've changed my mind on getting a custom, these new 594's sound incredible and I think they're so successful they're probably not going anywhere anytime soon. Actually the same shop you got yours has the exact same one (but DC)...it's damned tempting. Glad you're enjoying it!

Agree with you all regarding the 594. I love mine. I also have a Les Paul that's one of my favorites and just screams bad ass rock n roll that I play alot but the 594 is played equally as much. I took the LT out of the bridge and swapped with a 58/15 for a little more kick and love it even more. My P Stock Custom 22 has 85/15's and is my favorite of all but they all three get played alot.
Fun stuff. Thanks for the update.

Nice! Yeah I can totally relate actually. I used to get the same cramps with the strats, but it was due to neck shape. I do think the radius has something to do with it as well. Which is why I love the neck on my R7, however it does get tiring after a while, I think this is because of the 12" radius. This is why I think I mainly love PRS guitars so much, due to the 10" radius is a nice balance.

I think I've changed my mind on getting a custom, these new 594's sound incredible and I think they're so successful they're probably not going anywhere anytime soon. Actually the same shop you got yours has the exact same one (but DC)...it's damned tempting. Glad you're enjoying it!
I almost got the DC. I was back and forth. Lots of video's said the SC had more ooomph and all my other PRS's are traditional PRS DC shape so I wanted something different. It is heavier though. That shop has some special sales coming up, stay tuned.

I almost got the DC. I was back and forth. Lots of video's said the SC had more ooomph and all my other PRS's are traditional PRS DC shape so I wanted something different. It is heavier though. That shop has some special sales coming up, stay tuned.

I'm on their website frequently, in fact many of their PRS guitars are on a pretty good sale. So more eh? That's good to know! I too have played the SC594, and while I prefer it to the DC tonally, I already have an R7 that weights 9.5lbs and frankly I don't want another guitar that's over 8lbs. That finish looks sweet too, orange tiger. Not my first choice, but very nice. (aren't they all)

I really think a lot of the small hands = thin neck is marketing BS. I followed that advice when I got my LP Standard which had the 60s slim taper. We got along just fine, but I also found my 594 more comfortable to play for extended periods. I've since traded my LP Standard for a Modern LP Custom with a medium C neck carve and like it way more than the 60s slim taper. I find the added girth fills my hand better and reduces the cramping I sometimes get with thinner necks.

I like your analogy and think it's a great way to describe the general difference between the 594 and an LP. While they are both magnificent steeds, my 594 leans more toward a thoroughbred race horse and my LP more towards a wild mustang. Saying the 594 is like a tamer or more refined LP is about as spot on as you can get. I love having both because I'm always floating between wild and refined myself. Both guitars are the bees knees for classic rock and blues thru a good tube amp.

I've never really left the honeymoon phase with either of them, still completely enamored with both :)

I have what my friend calls “Billy Barty hands”. If you see videos of me playing, elegant my hands ain’t. The 594 neck fits me very well.
Lol. This made me laugh! When I'm in photos my hands always look like alien creatures.

Back