58/15 S vs. 58/15 LT is there much of a difference?

Rod/

Vibrato & String Bender
I have an S2 DC594 McCarty with the 58/15 S pickups that quite frankly sound pretty great in both the humbucker mode as well as the split coil single coil tones. Curious from those of you who have used these as well as the USA 58/15 versions if there is much of a difference in their tones

I'm the first to admit I don't have the most discerning ear - I know what I like and what I don't, but others often hear subtleties that I just don't pick up on. That said, I don't hear a significant difference between these - the USA (LT's) are slightly quieter, which makes sense because they're designed as lower output. But overall they're very similar to me.
I have 4 guitars with the "S" versions, including one that I bought the pickups for and swapped into, and 2 guitars with the USA/LTs, for reference. In other words, I like 58/15 pickups, no matter where they're made!

Last edited:
I'm the first to admit I don't have the most discerning ear - I know what I like and what I don't, but others often hear subtleties that I just don't pick up on. That said, I don't hear a significant difference between these - the USA (LT's) are slightly quieter, which makes sense because they're designed as lower output. But overall they very similar to me.
I have 4 guitars with the "S" versions, including one that I bought the pickups for and swapped into, and 2 guitars with the USA/LTs, for reference. In other words, I like 58/15 pickups, no matter where they're made!
I’m kind of like you. I know when I like the tone of a pickup but I’m not picky about it. If it sounds good it sounds good.. They may not have as much treble as say the 57/08’s but I like that about those pick ups. They have a growl and clarity that I like and the coil cutter tones are very Strat like... There was so much talk on here about how everyone didn’t like them and the first thing that they did when they bought an S2 was to change out the pickups to USA PRS pick ups or something boutique. So I recently bought a double cutaway McCarty S2, 594 and I’ve played now two gigs with it…..one with the duo and one with the Steve Miller Tribute Band. They just sound great …..thanks for your input @show_a_little_faith

Last edited:
I thought they were fair in my S2, but the LT’s were an improvement in clarity, especially on the neck pickup.

That said, I wouldn’t be in a rush to change the S pickups out if you like them. Not a night and day difference unless you feel like the S pickups are muddy.

I thought they were fair in my S2, but the LT’s were an improvement in clarity, especially on the neck pickup.

That said, I wouldn’t be in a rush to change the S pickups out if you like them. Not a night and day difference unless you feel like the S pickups are muddy.
Thanks for your input. I’m sure it depends to on the amp you’re using as well... These days I use an Amp1 on 1 pedalboard or an H& K AmpMan Classic on another only using the clean channels of either and then I use boosters, Klons, overdrives ect for my other tones. The “S” version of the 58/15 sounds very good with those “Pedalboard amps”…. It may be a different experience with certain tube amps or modeling amps

Last edited:
If you're talking about the 58/15 LT "S," yes, I think there's a significant difference. I A-B'd them at my local GC using an older HBII Piezo (58/15 "S") and SE McCarty 594 (58/15 LT "S") and the LT were much brighter and punchier. I felt the original sounded muted, as if the tone knob were rolled down, while the LT sounded alive and, imo, required a bit of a roll down on the tone knob.

If you're talking about the 58/15 LT "S," yes, I think there's a significant difference. I A-B'd them at my local GC using an older HBII Piezo (58/15 "S") and SE McCarty 594 (58/15 LT "S") and the LT were much brighter and punchier. I felt the original sounded muted, as if the tone knob were rolled down, while the LT sounded alive and, imo, required a bit of a roll down on the tone knob.
Funny I prefer my 5815S over any 5815LTS I've played.. probably more of a setup issue than anything, especially at GC. Clowns

Funny I prefer my 5815S over any 5815LTS I've played.. probably more of a setup issue than anything, especially at GC. Clowns
What do you prefer about them? And that's really been my only experience, outside of the new HBII that arrived at my home this week (fallen in love with, already).

What do you prefer about them? And that's really been my only experience, outside of the new HBII that arrived at my home this week (fallen in love with, already).
Blanket answer.. everything. Not too be vague or all encompassing, but that's the first thought that comes to mind. They are just right. Neck sounds full and deep, but clear and articulate. Bridge has just the right amount of bite, but not too thin. They sound fantastic.

Funny thing is I ordered my HB2 during covid and would take a while to come in. I fully expected to swap pickups and electronics for core. In the meantime I picked up a set of core 5815LT. When the HB2 came in, and I dialed it it in. I saw no need to do the swap. It did take me a while to find the exact sweet spot, but once I did, beautiful. I was playing it last night in a rotation, and it sounds phenomenal. Probably the best sounding se I've played to date.

Not to say the 5815LT-s can't get there too, but I've yet to play a LTS version I prefer. It might be a simple setup or rig thing because it did take me a minute to get the 5815S dialed in, but I was also looking for a reason to swap in the core 5815LT instead of dialing in as a keeper. Now I bounce from core to it and sound wise my ears are happy as can be.

More of a point is I wouldn't trust a compare to any guitar at GC, muchless a used one that went through their bench.

Last edited:
Turns out, according to PRS Customer service, 58/15 S and 58/15 LT S pickups are the exact same pickups, just renamed. The differences I've heard must have been due to different pickup heights.

Unless, the PRS customer service guy didn't now what he was talking about, the LT is just an re-branding and the original 58/15 S pickups were already low turn.

I'd love to hear someone's opinion on this.

Interesting. I know my 5815S ohm readings are pretty low. Goes to the original thought of the difference I've heard has been more of a setup issue. I know it took me a while to dial in mine just right.

I'd be interested to hear more thoughts too.. maybe posting some readings would help?

Edit- 7.96 bridge and 7.68 neck on my '22 se Hb2

Last edited:
I know my 5815S ohm readings are pretty low.
Yeah, they're each about 500 ohms lower the 58/15S's on my '22 S2 594SC: 8.49 bridge and 8.19 neck.

Any words of wisdom, and settings :), for dialing them in?

The S2 594SC hasn't reached killer status with the stock PRS pickup settings, unlike the Stripped 58 and the SE245 Soapbar. (The other SE245 has a suspended status with a Wolfetone Marshallhead/DrV set waiting for a free afternoon to go in)

Last edited:
Yeah, they're each about 500 ohms lower the 58/15S's on my '22 S2 594SC: 8.49 bridge and 8.19 neck.

Any words of wisdom, and settings :), for dialing them in?

The S2 594SC hasn't reached killer status with the stock PRS pickup settings, unlike the Stripped 58 and the SE245 Soapbar. (The other SE245 has a suspended status with a Wolfetone Marshallhead/DrV set waiting for a free afternoon to go in)

Thanks! Advice, patience..small turns, like quarter turns. Seriously the sweet spot for me was such a small window. I'll write up something a little better for you tomorrow.

I have a se sc594, artist pack sc594, and wood library dc594. When I first a/b/c’d them the ap594 and se594 were very close, and the wood library similar for sure, but wasn’t quite like them. But then I adjusted the pole pieces and heights to be the same on all 3 guitars. At that point they all became surprisingly similar. Like the se594 and ap594 are nearly identical and I don’t think you could pick out the wl594 in a blind test. Feel wise the se pickups are a little more compressed. And have a little more high mid bite. So they rock a little harder. While the core pickups are slightly sweeter and more refined. But it’s honestly mostly a feel thing. The listener probably wouldn’t notice. Just my .02.

Interesting. I know my 5815S ohm readings are pretty low. Goes to the original thought of the difference I've heard has been more of a setup issue. I know it took me a while to dial in mine just right.

I'd be interested to hear more thoughts too.. maybe posting some readings would help?

Edit- 7.96 bridge and 7.68 neck
My SE with the 58/15 LT S pickups read 6.97k on the neck and 7.43k on the bridge.

For you guy’s with the LT’s does that pickup require a different height as say the 59/09’s, 85/15’s etc? I have some 57/08’s in a few guitars and notice they tend to need a little more attention when I’m setting the guitars up to my liking. I seem to be able to dial in the hotter pickups quicker. Might just be my lack of experience with the lower output pup’s.

For you guy’s with the LT’s does that pickup require a different height as say the 59/09’s, 85/15’s etc? I have some 57/08’s in a few guitars and notice they tend to need a little more attention when I’m setting the guitars up to my liking. I seem to be able to dial in the hotter pickups quicker. Might just be my lack of experience with the lower output pup’s.
I assume so, but I adjust each pickup on my guitars by ear until I like it, and tweak as needed later, so I don't actually measure anything.

Back