58/15 LT+ vs. TCI-tuned 58/15 LT in a McCarty 594 Singlecut

sway

I'm in the market for a McCarty 594 Singlecut with TCI-tuned pickups.

Among recent 594 SCs in stock, I see a mix of guitars that have TCI-tuned 58/15 LT pickups, and guitars that have TCI-tuned 58/15 LT+ pickups. I'm wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare these two pickup sets, specifically in 594 Singlecut guitars.

I understand (from another thread on this forum) that the 58/15 LT+ pickups are a little hotter and brighter, and are only installed in Singlecut 594s. But I'm not sure if "hotter and brigher" is in comparison to the pre-TCI 58/15 LT, or the TCI-tuned 58/15 LT.

Like many, I watched the Tim Pierce / Howard Leese video, which sparked my interest in the TCI-tuned pickups. Does anyone know whether the 594 Singlecuts in that video had 58/15 LT+ pickups, 58/15 LT TCI, or something else?

2020 and on have the TCI pickups. I have both a 2020 singlecut 594 and a 2019 doublecut 594. I prefer the TCI tuned pickups of the singlecut, but I personally replaced them for a 59/JB set as I wanted a hotter pickup. And for me, the 59 is way more clear than the 58/15 LTs. I wouldn't say the 58/15 LT TCI's are "hotter", I just think they had a little bit more clarity and a little louder, but at the end of the day, they still have the same characteristics.

Thanks for the replies. Here's what I'm still not clear on: I understand that going forward, doublecut 594s will have 58/15 LT TCI pickups, and singlecut 594s will have 58/15 LT+ TCI. But it seems that there was a transition period where singlecuts were shipped with 58/15 LT TCI pickups -- not LT+. I say this because I emailed PRS to get the full specs on a singlecut I'm looking at, and they told me the pickups were 58/15 LT TCI. I double checked to be sure, and PRS confirmed that these were not LT+ pickups in this singlecut.

Is it just a name change? Have the TCI-tuned 58/15 LT pickups in the singlecut always had the "hotter/brighter" voicing, and at some point PRS changed the name? Or was there an actual change to the pickup -- first they rolled out the 58/15 LT TCI, then changed the voicing on the singlecut pickups and called it 58/15 LT+ to reflect that?

Is it just a name change? Have the TCI-tuned 58/15 LT pickups in the singlecut always had the "hotter/brighter" voicing, and at some point PRS changed the name? Or was there an actual change to the pickup -- first they rolled out the 58/15 LT TCI, then changed the voicing on the singlecut pickups and called it 58/15 LT+ to reflect that?

I believe the latter: the + is when they denoted the brighter pickups for the single cuts and is a semi recent change within last 2 years. Otherwise the LT were used on the McCartys after a few years into the introduction of the 58/15

Thanks for the replies. Here's what I'm still not clear on: I understand that going forward, doublecut 594s will have 58/15 LT TCI pickups, and singlecut 594s will have 58/15 LT+ TCI. But it seems that there was a transition period where singlecuts were shipped with 58/15 LT TCI pickups -- not LT+. I say this because I emailed PRS to get the full specs on a singlecut I'm looking at, and they told me the pickups were 58/15 LT TCI. I double checked to be sure, and PRS confirmed that these were not LT+ pickups in this singlecut.

I’ve got an SC594 that was built in November of 2019. It was advertised as having the + pickups, but has the 58/15 LT TCI pickups. PRS was kind enough to send me a pair of + pickups. As I understand it, the changes for 2020 that happened in late 2019 were done as parts became available.

I haven’t had the time to swap the pickups yet, but one of these days...

I’ve got an SC594 that was built in November of 2019. It was advertised as having the + pickups, but has the 58/15 LT TCI pickups.

How are you liking the 58/15 LT TCI pickups in that guitar? Are you finding that you'd like a bit more clarity/output (i.e., what the + pickups offer)? (I realize that may be very difficult to answer.)

I’ve got an SC594 that was built in November of 2019. It was advertised as having the + pickups, but has the 58/15 LT TCI pickups. PRS was kind enough to send me a pair of + pickups. As I understand it, the changes for 2020 that happened in late 2019 were done as parts became available.

I haven’t had the time to swap the pickups yet, but one of these days...

I'm curious as to the actual difference for the 58/15LT to the 58/15LT +. Any one compare the Plus vs non-Plus versions of the 58/15?

I have a mid 2020 SC 594 and the pups are the TCI 58/15 LTs, not the +

So in terms of increasing output, would it be:
58/15 LT
58/15 LT+
58/15
85/15
?
Are the # of coil winds the only difference? All same wire and A2 magnets?

Anyone have any idea where the 57/08 and 59/08 fit into all this?

I have a ‘20 594DC with 58/15LT TCI that measure about 8.20 and a ‘19 594SC with 58/15 LT that are in the 7.90 range. I’d like something a little hotter in the SC.

Yes, me too, and while I appreciate the opinion, Im still looking for information on the PRS pickup lineup since i do have two with essentially the same pickup.

Thanks for that info. I honestly didn’t know the Santana shared the same treble as a 58/15

+ in the bridge, regular LT in the neck! Kidding(kind of)…

I’m still exploring the LT’s on my DC, I’d probably dig a little hotter in the bridge.

I too have a SC 2019. I'm not exactly sure if it has the + lo turns or not?
I wonder if there is any place where you could hear the difference? Not that it matters all that much. I'm just wondering.

So in terms of increasing output, would it be:
58/15 LT
58/15 LT+
58/15
85/15
?
Are the # of coil winds the only difference? All same wire and A2 magnets?

Anyone have any idea where the 57/08 and 59/08 fit into all this?

I have a ‘20 594DC with 58/15LT TCI that measure about 8.20 and a ‘19 594SC with 58/15 LT that are in the 7.90 range. I’d like something a little hotter in the SC.

Based on what I have at home, I’d say the 58/15LT TCI in my 594 are pretty close to 57/08, maybe even a smidge hotter. Which is surprising, given the nomenclature. The 57/08’s sound like they have more low mid to me, and the 59/09 shift the mid peak higher.

If I were going to spec a PS, I think it would be a 57/08 in the bridge, and 58/15LT in the neck. Because I know everyone was wondering!

I too have a SC 2019. I'm not exactly sure if it has the + lo turns or not?
I wonder if there is any place where you could hear the difference? Not that it matters all that much. I'm just wondering.
If you look on the corner of the pickup it will have been inscribed with either 58/15 LT or 58/15 LT+ (Possibly. One of mine is a limited edition 2021 CU24 and they are inscribed with 58/15 LT+).

Last edited:
Back