5-way vs. 3-way with push'pull...... Opinions please????

So, you didn't like the 57/08's? I was thinking that they were a lower output pickup, with more sparkle. I have Dragon II's now, and while I really like the bridge pickup, the neck has too much output and low end. I also have a Dimarzio Andy Timmons in the bridge of my strat. It's such a great pickup. For my cover band, I would prefer a lower output set of pickups for some classic, iconic tones. Also, as the lead singer, I play a lot of rhythm.

So I have a Custom 22 with Dragon 2's and a 5-way rotary, and I'm thinking of switching it up. I'm thinking 57/08's with a 3-way and push/pull. Any input on this anyone??? Also.... What is your general opinion on the 5-way vs. the 3-way push pull? One more thing..... I have the 57/08's and the push/pull in my Mira, but that's a whole different animal. I'm mainly seeking opinions on this setup in a Custom 22. Thanks.
You started off with "So." What is the thought before this sentence so I know what you are asking?

5-way blade for me, just because it's the simplest. Imagine have to flick a switch AND push/pull a knob!? Way too much hassle.

HOWEVER, I would LOVE to see a video of the SAME guitar but with the different switches discussed here so I can hear what the final differences are. Videos, anybody?

5-way middle is love/hate for me.
Neck and bridge are superb.
Neck-mid has a nice single coil quack.
Bridge-mid is almost redundant IMO.

So you can see I prefer it for speed of changes however I'm willing to accept the other methods may have more usable final options.

Can anybody describe these for the 3-way push-pull and also the rotary? Thanks!

I have a Custom 22 that had the rotary switch and I switched first for a Freeway JJ custom works model which gives the 5 sounds from the rotary plus the humbuckers in parallel (Les Paul middle position), and then for the Freeway Ultra that I had wired so that it gave the humbuckers in parallel option in position 4 and 6. I bought two Ultra switches just in case and both of them broke though. The JJ custom works freeway switch has been a lot more robust, probably because the wiring is fixed and can only give the inner/outer coil configuration as on the rotary switch and that's what in the guitar now and I'm very happy. It's soo much easier to operate than the rotary or 3 way switch with push-pull so I can absolutely recommend that you check it out.

I like them both. Depends what mood I'm in but at the end of the day...I find the 5-way rotary switch to be more inspiring. The three-way is easier to manage while playing live however.

I have a s2 custom 24, it’s great but it could be better. It has a 3 way switch with a push pull pot. It currently has the 85/15S pick ups. I don’t really care for the bridge pick up too much.

I just ordered a 5 way switch, a 57/08 and a 59/09. I was wondering if, and how difficult it is to wire it up. Keeping the push pull pot, to make position 1,3, and 5 single coils. Giving me 8 different options. Or if anyone else has done this, thank you.

So I have a Custom 22 with Dragon 2's and a 5-way rotary, and I'm thinking of switching it up. I'm thinking 57/08's with a 3-way and push/pull. Any input on this anyone??? Also.... What is your general opinion on the 5-way vs. the 3-way push pull? One more thing..... I have the 57/08's and the push/pull in my Mira, but that's a whole different animal. I'm mainly seeking opinions on this setup in a Custom 22. Thanks.
My question is, can you change out a rotary for a 3 or 5-way

My question is, can you change out a rotary for a 3 or 5-way

You can put a 3 way toggle in a rotary spot. You won’t be able to do a 5 way, but you can put a push pull in the volume and tone to independently split each of the pick ups. I don’t recommend it, in my opinion, one push pull in the tone is better.

You can put a 3 way toggle in a rotary spot. You won’t be able to do a 5 way, but you can put a push pull in the volume and tone to independently split each of the pick ups. I don’t recommend it, in my opinion, one push pull in the tone is better.
What does the push pull on the tone do as opposed to the volume? Appreciate your response...

What does the push pull on the tone do as opposed to the volume? Appreciate your response...
You could put the push pull on either pot. Most people use the tone so they have the volume available during playing without worrying about inadvertently hitting the shaft and pushing it in. I had a 95 CE with two push/pulls. One on the volume and one on the tone. They did the splits just like the 408 switching years before there was a 408. Worked great.

You could put the push pull on either pot. Most people use the tone so they have the volume available during playing without worrying about inadvertently hitting the shaft and pushing it in. I had a 95 CE with two push/pulls. One on the volume and one on the tone. They did the splits just like the 408 switching years before there was a 408. Worked great.
Thanks, I was thinking either the 3-way McCarty setup, which is one push/pull or going all out and do both push/pulls. Either way I think I would be happier than sticking with the rotary.
Thanks again!

Back