5 Position Rotary Switch

Tommy

PRSFANMAN
Does anyone have a diagram of the positions that are closed at each setting on this switch?
This switch supports coil split for pickups with 4 wires, I recently purchased a set of 85/15's which have three wires for coil tap not coil split Shield is ground, Black is Humbucker, and White is coil tap on the pickups. I am trying to figure out the a way to wire it in the following positions.

1 - Bass Humbucker
2 - Bass coil tapped
3 - Bass & Trebel Humbucker
4 - Trebel coil tapped
5 - Trebel Humbucker

I have it wired to color at the moment and it is not working as expected.

s0h7ziznh8rq0h7fyrpc.jpg

Let me look around, I have a diagram for what you want to do with a 5 way super mega switch and if you can figure the contacts
for your shown switch, it would work.

I have a multimeter I guess I could figure it out and post it later.

You cannot do this with the PCB rotary and those pickups. This rotary is purpose-made for certain selections and is not customizable. It also requires separate ground and shield wires.

You get these positions and that's about it.
Bridge humbucker
Outside Coils parallel
Inside Coils series
Inside Coils parallel
Neck humbucker

You can force a coil split via a push/pull, but your middle position is going to be dead no matter what because shield and ground are tied together.

You can get the positions you want with a wafer style rotary switch. Note that these pickups do not tap; it is a coil split.

You should have a few emails now. I'd get the rotary super mega switch from Stewart McDonald.
Much easier to config a guitar any 5 ways you want just about. The diagrams I sent you are perfect for
it or the super mega 5 way blade switch (what I used on my Orianthi SE).

If anyone wants my two pdf file diagrams with one for what he wants wired and one that I used that has
the split bridge and split neck coils in parallel for the middle position on the switch, just PM me.
Too bad we don't have a way to share a file on here.

Reactions: Lui
I ordered the 5-position, 4 pole from StewMac.. I hope it is the right one. Can anyone provide a wiring diagram for
three wire pickups??
-dlEXErkFQmLFZQLCDLdSCoDvnbzta1nPuMlHnyouZrcnxnhGe1gvTpMl020MYZk6xHWpc-oaEeyWnNC6uMJoJjAP29xmVXydBj6MmlYSmNbfFySvOKIBOqSErvfOPsDFqHFQM7yXk04OWh6ZVU9XJg5i9AQhdjfJF14xy6RWuqPjVsxZaTYHYXVihgesSae6viNLjuokPOVXPkXTlCaGGgN_X19cTRJ2kOpqxMEYz9nCATho9bPKsctOGgyL_Xb3TRu4WR6nb5Vzb1jHMVUNlOxA0JghAyImfi6iyR0_vCizBKCC01Uc2w2QdF3cDkkwuzd62NFtnPrEJ7a35pUsO6--mcRSQOHJzejVcgLD7ad2suf4HogCK52H4nA6tI9Ilwlnh9zKIL4-YLIKdm4UQH-Zz6P5Y5QjjQXZxPX97y7QnTbgidNoLPk1Nhgx1ErTpQj_kqL5CbxflW7Pw4M-IUVMH2Ei-68ZZU0bQdqnFtj3cdpjbDUgc4NJMEu-MfXf7xuzKDo9WgHZNBetiZ0dhstSYPKr7C1puXzsLssZWsiuo2pjwPiV6adBwJrnMqF1lCsV_e_TcIcipU5-gW0kGhfZmD_CEBYb1Z2A0sndEa5mYIuT6lmKn6xArQlgDY3=w714-h337-no

Hi, would you do thkt with a switchblade? I want to change my s2 custom 24 3 way switchblade for a 5 position one, don't know if this piece will fit though:

https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/shop/product/oak-grigsby-5-way-super-switch

Please, could you help me?
Take the backcover off and measure the cavity depth also measure the width.
Here is the specs on that switch you have the link to.
Specifications
1.gif

Body cavity depth required 1-3/8" (34.93mm)
1.gif

Mounting screw spacing 1-5/8" (41.28mm)
1.gif

Lever stem .050" x .190" (1.27mm x 4.82mm)
1.gif

Pickguard slot required 1/16" x 1-1/16" (1.59mm x 26.99mm) (for the lever)
https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and..._Parts/Switches/Oak_Grigsby_Super_Switch.html

If I'm not mistaken, on the 2 wire plus shield 85/15's, the black wire is humbucker hot, and the white wire is tapped hot, and than you
tie the shield of the pickups where the ground+shield normally go in the diagram.

If I'm not mistaken, on the 2 wire plus shield 85/15's, the black wire is humbucker hot, and the white wire is tapped hot, and than you
tie the shield of the pickups where the ground+shield normally go in the diagram.

Pretty much.

Black is hot. Bare is ground and shield tied together. Because of this you cannot change electrical polarity nor can you wire two pickups in series.

White is the series connection between the two coils. This is the coil SPLIT wire. These pickups do NOT tap. Connect to ground to cancel one side, or connect to hot to cancel the other side.

Pretty much.

Black is hot. Bare is ground and shield tied together. Because of this you cannot change electrical polarity nor can you wire two pickups in series.

White is the series connection between the two coils. This is the coil SPLIT wire. These pickups do NOT tap. Connect to ground to cancel one side, or connect to hot to cancel the other side.
I guess that means the white wire is the hot wire for the screw side of the Humbucker?

The signal flows from ground to hot like this:

Bare -> White -> Black

I believe these are set to split to screw coil with the push/pull sending white to ground, so it would translate to:

Bare - Start slug coil
White - end slug / start screw
Black - end screw coil

So when you send the white wire to ground, it changes where the signal starts and it cuts out the slug coil:

White -> Black

Send the white to hot and it changes where the signal ends and skips the screw coil:

Bare -> White

Long story short, in hot/ground terms, the white wire is "hot" of the slug and "ground" of the screw.

SO I took a multimeter reading. My three wire are shield, Black and white.
from Shield to black I get 8+ ohms
from shield to white I get 3+ ohms
from black to white I get 12+ ohms.
I suppose that means I need to use white as ground for the coil split. Because if I use shield as ground and white as hot it will sound thin and nasally it will be unbearable..
I'm gonna have to figure out how to wire this dude as follows
position;
1 - bass humbucker
2 -bass split
3 - bass & trebel humbuckers
4 - Trebel split
5 - Trebel humbucker.

Yo Glide, will you diagram give me this??

Thanks Ya'll

That's a false reading on your white/black measurement. Each coil is only high 3k to low 4k. It's impossible to get 12k from those two coils.

Like I said, white to ground for screw coil and white to hot for slug. The bare wire is always connected to ground. Connect black on the hot side of the switch based on which positions you want the pickup active. Use the lugs on the other wafer to decide when to split.

Take a little time to study the switch diagram from Stewmac and learn how wiring works. Then your vision will open up like viewing the matrix.

Tried to make sense of it and it just wouldn't come. I put the HFG and BASS pickups back in.. oh well move on to the next project.

Back