408 Semi- Hollow

JSanta585

I am crazy infatuated with my HBII, and also really enjoy your CU24. I'm thinking that kind of a hybrid between the two would probably be perfect for me and I came across the 408 semi hollows, which I think would be exactly what I am looking for tonally.

From what I can tell, they are only available via the Wood Library (or were available, I can't quite tell if they are still in production for the new model year).

Does anyone have any experience with this model? Share your thoughts, pics?

I haven't seen one of those before, but it sounds cool!

Seems like it would have been a limited wood library run from x year, so best bet would be to find one used.
Another option i'll put forward is the P245 Semi Hollow. Has a piezo, semi hollow construction and coil tapped so versatile as well. Might be worth a look?

Ben's suggestions are right on target.

The P245SH is discontinued, but there are still a few "new" ones popping up, probably last-gasp orders by dealers. I love mine (thanks again, Bodia!)

The 408 SH was originally a limited run, I believe, for PRS Experience 2013, with various WL dealer runs (I found one from Brian's in 2015). There seemed to be another WL run earlier this year (Sweetwater has an old webpage for it).

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/wood-library-408-semi-hollow-run.14246/
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/prs-wood-library-408-semi-hollow-guitar-review/

This thread is not helping my GAS - now I want a 408 SH!

If I find that cherry charcoal burst, I am going to be in trouble!

I am firmly in the DC world, I don't get along with SC guitars. I also really like the premise of the 408 and the different tones it would offer from both my CU24 and my HBII.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 408 SH once I have the funds.

Thanks for the insight gents!

^ Wow just looked at the 408 SH's and they look amazing!!

Yeah I was lucky with my P245SH, found a core one from 2016 in store new - wish it didn't have the heavy gloss neck though.

Those were also available as an experience model in 2013. I remember being in line feeling assured that there was nothing new I wanted... saw those as I approached the door and let out an “Oh crap.”

Those were also available as an experience model in 2013. I remember being in line feeling assured that there was nothing new I wanted... saw those as I approached the door and let out an “Oh crap.”

+1 to that.
I purchased at least one guitar at every experience I’ve attended...the 408SH and JA-15 are the only 2 that I NEVER even considered selling (all the others have moved on).

+1 to that.
I purchased at least one guitar at every experience I’ve attended...the 408SH and JA-15 are the only 2 that I NEVER even considered selling (all the others have moved on).

I’d like both of those.

I've seen a lot of the CU24s that are SH, but the 408 was new to me. Like I mentioned before, the next PRS needs to be a little different. Whether that's going more vintage with the 594 or a 408 SH.

If you've got a 408 SH, post some pics!

I have one of the Experience 408 Semi-Hollows. They came with an ebony fretboard, so notes just jump off of it. I wouldn't consider them to be between a Cu24 and a HBII in tone. A 408 is something different. The pick ups with their nonstandard magnetic field shapes gives it more of a high def feel. Of the three 408 type guitars that I have, the Semi-Hollow is the most open sounding one.
IMG_1447-1.jpg
408SemiHollow.jpg
IMG_1459-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Dancing Frog! There's a very similar looking one for sale up on Reverb right now, but I don't have the funds unfortunately.

I have one of the Experience 408 Semi-Hollows. They came with an ebony fretboard, so notes just jump off of it. I wouldn't consider them to be between a Cu24 and a HBII in tone. A 408 is something different. The pick ups with their nonstandard magnetic field shapes gives it more of a high def feel. Of the three 408 type guitars that I have, the Semi-Hollow is the most open sounding one.
IMG_1447-1.jpg
408SemiHollow.jpg
IMG_1459-1.jpg

Amazing! I’ve had my eye on one for a bit. Is it tha much different from the Sig Ltd next to it? I have a feeling I might need both

Amazing! I’ve had my eye on one for a bit. Is it tha much different from the Sig Ltd next to it? I have a feeling I might need both
As with all things, it depends on the amp. The difference between a tremolo and stop tail is supposedly the difference between a happy face and frowny face EQ. I don't hear it between the two of them. The semi-hollow has a more rounded warmer tone with a bit of openess, and the siggy is more punchy. It is probably the difference between the ebony and rosewood boards that is washing out all other differences. To me, the 408 semi-hollow sounds more musical.

Back