23 Frets - why not?

Dirty_Boogie

Still got the ol' tagger on it
Ok, a silly question that I've been too embarrassed to ask my entire guitar-playing life... Do 23-fret guitars exist? If not, why not? I have a Strat with 21 frets, a couple of PRSi with 22, and a 24-fret Epi.

One of those life-long mysteries - enlighten me please. :rolleyes:

Hmmmmmmmm never thought of that before... I prefer 24 frets, two octaves per string, funny thing is Don’t really use those two extra frets very often. A 25 inch scale 24 fret PRS I know where I’m at without looking, I’ve been playing one for so long.

21 is a vintage Fender thing. Probably for a practical manufacturing reason, knowing a bit about Leo.

Most have 22, which gets you D fretted and E or F bent.

24 gets you E fretted, up to G bent.

I have seen as many as 27. Actually, I think I saw 30 once.

What would be the purpose of a 23rd fret? Sounds like the 19th hole.

21 is a vintage Fender thing. Probably for a practical manufacturing reason, knowing a bit about Leo.

Most have 22, which gets you D fretted and E or F bent.

24 gets you E fretted, up to G bent.

I have seen as many as 27. Actually, I think I saw 30 once.

What would be the purpose of a 23rd fret? Sounds like the 19th hole.

I love the 19th hole. I don't mind going 2 over!

As for guitars, how about Uli Jon Roth's Sky Guitar....30 frets, I think. Half steps up to 35 frets.

I've never given any thought to how many frets a guitar has. On my Strat, 21 works for me, on my tele and 594 22 work fine. I very rarely venture up past the 17th or 18th anyway. I guess it's the old lousy golfer in me. I've never really liked more than 22 because I don't like what it does to pickup spacing...

-Ray

I heard or read somewhere that guitars used to have 21 frets because they were accompanying wind instruments that usually are in a "flat" key ab, Bb, Eb, etc. And when rock was becoming more popular 22 frets became the norm since keys like E, A, G, and D were more common.

I have an ovation with 22 full frets and a half neck width 23rd fret which seems odd and I never use it.

Back in 2013 the Jackson Custom Shop (?!?!) built AND shipped a 23 fret Kelly to a dude. It was a screw-up. I don't remember if the guy kept it or not - there are threads out there about it.

I heard or read somewhere that guitars used to have 21 frets because they were accompanying wind instruments that usually are in a "flat" key ab, Bb, Eb, etc. And when rock was becoming more popular 22 frets became the norm since keys like E, A, G, and D were more common.

I have an ovation with 22 full frets and a half neck width 23rd fret which seems odd and I never use it.

I've been thinking about this all day! I've been learning a bunch of old blues lately and a ton of that stuff is in C or F, especially when there are horns. 21 frets would've made sense and been perfectly fine in those bands.

Back