2018 McCarty Finish Repair

wdperkins

I'm considering trading for a 2018 McCarty 594 single cut semi-hollow. It's described as clean except for this one chip. I believe the finish is poly and acrylic in 2018? Is that a fill a good local luthier could deal with? Given it's location I think I'd be OK with pretty good results. Thanks. Bill

Can’t tell you 100%. But I believe it could be filled & made to blend well. You could send it to the PTC but I’m sure that would cost a bit.

Can’t tell you 100%. But I believe it could be filled & made to blend well. You could send it to the PTC but I’m sure that would cost a bit.
PTC did a full refinish for me a year ago on another McCarty with nitro. The price was notable but the result was good. There are some good shops here in Atlanta, and if it is fillable I should be able to get it done here. I read that PRS finishes are a little non standard so just not sure how they cooperate with filling.

The difficulty on a ding like OP's is not filling the finish, it's sanding on a curve without sanding through and making the problem worse. But a competent tech should have no problem with this repair as it's pretty common.

Last edited:
The difficulty on a ding like OP's is not filing the finish, it's sanding on a curve without sanding through and making the problem worse. But a competent tech should have no problem with this repair as it's pretty common.

That's correct.

Besides that, if done properly, poly will still have minor witness lines whereas nitro could have an invisible repair.

@SinSir, sharpie is absolutely poly

... change my mind. 😆

@SinSir, sharpie is absolutely poly

... change my mind. 😆
The pen itself is made of poly-whatever but the ink is "components including color pigments, solvents, resins, moisturizers, solubilizers, leveling agents, assistants, organic solvents, polyvinyl alcohol, acrylamide, heptylalcohol, triethanolamine, isothiazolinone, mill base, plasticizer, release agent, drying retardant, surfactant, benzene peptide type dye, acidic compounds, acetone, a thickening agent, preservatives, and essence" That's a lot of chemicals to alter your mind.. huffing experiment in shop class during lunch. o_O

The pen itself is made of poly-whatever but the ink is "components including color pigments, solvents, resins, moisturizers, solubilizers, leveling agents, assistants, organic solvents, polyvinyl alcohol, acrylamide, heptylalcohol, triethanolamine, isothiazolinone, mill base, plasticizer, release agent, drying retardant, surfactant, benzene peptide type dye, acidic compounds, acetone, a thickening agent, preservatives, and essence" That's a lot of chemicals to alter your mind.. huffing experiment in shop class during lunch. o_O

Man, am I misinterpreting or are you taking this too seriously?

I'm just joking around and trying to have a good time (sorry if some of my statements were misunderstood, I can clarify if needed).

Cheers bud! :cool:

Man, am I misinterpreting or are you taking this too seriously?

I'm just joking around and trying to have a good time (sorry if some of my statements were misunderstood, I can clarify if needed).

Cheers bud! :cool:
Its all good, I'm just joking around too man.. I copy and pasted that from somebody on the web that took sharpies way too seriously. My contribution was getting high in shop class.

Its all good, I'm just joking around too man.. I copy and pasted that from somebody on the web that took sharpies way too seriously. My contribution was getting high in shop class.

:eek:

You got high in shop class too!

My shop teacher got higher than any of us could ever imagine! Dude taught us a lot at the same time though.

Back