2007 PRS SC 250 - Is it real?

Charlie

Hi - I need some help. I just purchased a 2007 SC 250 Blue (see below). It appears real, but there is no Serial Number or Initials in the pickup cavities. The pickup cavities are gray - I haven't see that before. The serial number of the headstock is correct. I contacted PRS, they said their records are spotty, but it appears to be a real PRS in a one-off color and maybe a prototype. What do you guys think? I have 30 days to return it. I paid $2,500 - good price?

Both cavities look exactly the same.

091713020.jpg

091713025.jpg

photo1.jpg

091713022.jpg

photo1.jpg

Last edited:
Its definitely a legit PRS, no idea why the caviities would be like that though. Maybe the prev owner sprayed to shield them?

Looks legit. Looks like someone sprayed the cavities with shielding paint. 8's aren't real common. I'd say keep it if you like the guitar. It's a little bit unique. Price? all in the eye of the beholder really. It's got a one-off color and different pickups. They do that stuff on occasion. There for awhile there were tons of 1-off guitars coming out.

Last edited:
I've heard the # pickups were special run pickups made by paul for some people only? I'm not too sure about this, but they are rare indeed. Must be the one of the earlier models that came before the 250 pickups were introduced.

I've heard the # pickups were special run pickups made by paul for some people only? I'm not too sure about this, but they are rare indeed. Must be the one of the earlier models that came before the 250 pickups were introduced.

I love the guitar, It's plays great. All this feedback is really helpful, I've emailed PRS again to see if they can provide more info, I've keep everyone advised,

You guys remember when Skitchy pulled out that re-route on a plugged pup cavity, and saved the original info? Looks like he might have to have a go at removing the gray paint. :)

Well, anyone could have shielded the pickup cavities. Do you have a direct front shot of the guitar?

Hey - I heard from PRS. They said it might not be authentic. They don't shield paint the cavities, the shape is wrong, the wiring doesn't match their's and the signature is off. Wow. I used a magnifying glass to compare the signatures to other PRSs I have - it was a perfect match, the tuners and bridge were perfect matches too. The shielding on the wiring matched too. I'm confused. Any suggestions?

Interesting... is there a way to scratch or rub off the shielding in the bridge pup cavity? See if you find something underneath, like the MODCAT sticker.
Like this one:

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?3624-MODCAT-Scribblings

UPDATE: PRS contacted me again and asked that I send more pics. After sending detailed pictures of the headstock, pickups, bridge, etc.... they confirmed it was a legit single cut! Yahoo. Probably a one-off prototype in a one-off color during the design phase in 2007. I love unique guitars - so I'm very happy :)

Last edited:
Back