2 Chan H -vs- Mesa Mk V

Fbrandw

Mmmm singlecuts..
I have a Mesa Mk V, but I have come across a good deal on a sweet 2 chan H combo....am I going to be covering the same sonic ground with the H once I get past the beautiful maple faceplate? I have watched all the videos on the H from the PRS site and to be honest it sounds awesome but its hard to tell how loud PRSh has that head cranked to get those tones...Anyone care to share their experiances with their H's?

I have a Mesa Mk V, but I have come across a good deal on a sweet 2 chan H combo....am I going to be covering the same sonic ground with the H once I get past the beautiful maple faceplate? I have watched all the videos on the H from the PRS site and to be honest it sounds awesome but its hard to tell how loud PRSh has that head cranked to get those tones...Anyone care to share their experiances with their H's?

I've owned both of those amps although my H was a early one. I hear they've "improved" the tone on the later ones. I had to crank the master pretty high on the H to get a warmer tone on the gain channel I was happy with but I've never been a Mesa kind of gain guy. The clean channel on the H was awesome, almost worth buying the amp just for that. I actually sold mine and bought a Dallas II to cover that same ground. You are going to be loosing a lot of tweakability the Mark V has so I'd make sure you like the basic tone of the H first.

I just acquired a paisley H with flamed maple face. Absolutely mint condition, I have been fiddling with it for the last 48 hours. Different from my Tweed Deluxes and Deluxe Reverb, it’s better built and hopefully, more reliable.

So far, I am loving the sound. I have it plugged into a Dan Armstrong Cab with a 12” Cerwin Vega speaker. The sealed cab gives it a nice bottom end.

Last edited:
I have a "plain/non fancy" black H combo.
Love this amp, and as previously mentioned, the clean channel is excellent. That prompted me to buy a Custom 50 combo, which is basically the same amp but with more features.
Both are awesome, but I've never had a MK V to compare them with.

This was such a great deal, I had to say yes. I am a big fan of the discontinued Mesa TA 15, but they cost more used than what I payed for the H.

I have the H and a Single rec. I know it's not close to a Mark V but it does have that signature Mesa sound. My take is that the H has better (think warmer) cleans. Not as much in your face gain but enough gain to put a smile on your face. The sonic territories they cover do overlap, but not as much as you might think. You can make them sound similar or miles apart. My summary is the H is warmer, the Single Rec is more sterile but will get you closer to metal than the H will.

Given that the H amps haven’t been made for a number of years, I had to search for a while.

This was such a great deal, I had to say yes. I am a big fan of the discontinued Mesa TA 15, but they cost more used than what I payed for the H.
Yeah, I saw that and almost bought it because it was STUPID cheap! Hope you really like it.

Back