2 Ch. H Problems - static and volume drop

henryjurstin13

My amp is producing this static like sound that comes and goes, though it is always as loud as the guitar signal. Very intermittent as I can't seem to reproduce the sound on command. I've tapped all around in there & nothing seems abnormal to my NON-tech ears. Also, when the static subsides and I start to play again - randomly the volume will go down and back to normal, also intermittently. I'll attach a couple video links to the static noise, guitar was NOT plugged in to the head. PRS H into MojoTone 2x12 with ONLY ONE Cannabis Rex 8 ohm.

Thoughts? I have no spare tubes to test at the moment.... unless I rob one from a Carr Slant 6V or Fender SCXD.

Video Links:

http://s76.photobucket.com/user/hen...B-47D1-A9BD-F3C964582F59_zpskuchr919.mp4.html

http://s76.photobucket.com/user/hen...5-429F-B950-025C91418FCB_zps3ugoptas.mp4.html

Here's what I posted a few days ago in response to BlueSky's 2 Channel H amp problem. This could possibly help to troubleshoot your problem as well.

"My brand new 2 channel H Amp (head) had a weird "noise issue" that was strangely complex, and it seemed to be related in some way to the effects loop. Shawn sent me a new effects loop tube and, after it was installed, the problem remained exactly the same.
Shawn then suggested that I send the amp back to the factory for a warranty-covered repair.
The source of all of the strange noise problems was completely eliminated after they replaced the amp's defective effects loop "send" pot.
The PRS amp guys will no doubt get to source of your amp's problem. If it's not still covered by the warranty, it may cost you a few bucks, but the factory fix will be well worth it!"

Here's what I posted a few days ago in response to BlueSky's 2 Channel H amp problem. This could possibly help to troubleshoot your problem as well.

"My brand new 2 channel H Amp (head) had a weird "noise issue" that was strangely complex, and it seemed to be related in some way to the effects loop. Shawn sent me a new effects loop tube and, after it was installed, the problem remained exactly the same.
Shawn then suggested that I send the amp back to the factory for a warranty-covered repair.
The source of all of the strange noise problems was completely eliminated after they replaced the amp's defective effects loop "send" pot.
The PRS amp guys will no doubt get to source of your amp's problem. If it's not still covered by the warranty, it may cost you a few bucks, but the factory fix will be well worth it!"

I picked it up used, so no warranty. I ordered some new JJ 6L6 tubes.... if that doesn't help, I'll talk to my local tech & possibly PRS as well.

Check your preamp tubes, as well. You should have a spare set, so if that doesn't help, you'll then have that spare set.:)

Back