1st PRS PUP Question

Fritz

New guy first post I bought this 2008 SE Singlecut a couple of weeks ago and it sounds decent but the guy I got it from bought it new but couldn't play so it had been under his bed in a moldy gig bag with a broken zipper so cosmetically it looks new however the pups have rusty magnets and screws I'm getting ready to lay the Flitz Metal Polish to them but am thinking I want to replace them with perhaps Seymour Pearly Gate in the neck and a DiMarzio Super Distortion for the bridge. As I said in the title this is my first PRS and after a bit of negotiating I only paid $185 for it So I really don't mind putting a few bucks into it I haven't opened it up yet so I don't know about the pots or switch but they seem to work well.
So what do you guys and gals think any suggestions on repair or replacement I would like any thoughts you may have.
Thanks for letting me participate.

QQ6OA53.jpg

gYSZMLu.jpg

New guy first post I bought this 2008 SE Singlecut a couple of weeks ago and it sounds decent but the guy I got it from bought it new but couldn't play so it had been under his bed in a moldy gig bag with a broken zipper so cosmetically it looks new however the pups have rusty magnets and screws I'm getting ready to lay the Flitz Metal Polish to them but am thinking I want to replace them with perhaps Seymour Pearly Gate in the neck and a DiMarzio Super Distortion for the bridge. As I said in the title this is my first PRS and after a bit of negotiating I only paid $185 for it So I really don't mind putting a few bucks into it I haven't opened it up yet so I don't know about the pots or switch but they seem to work well.
So what do you guys and gals think any suggestions on repair or replacement I would like any thoughts you may have.
Thanks for letting me participate.

QQ6OA53.jpg

gYSZMLu.jpg
People pay good money to make their hardware look like that. :rolleyes: You could leave it and be an “aged” snob, or replace them and sell as NOS vintage to an “aged” snob. :cool:

That's a lot of corrosion for a 2008 guitar, holy cow.

If it were mine I'd replace all pots and wiring in addition to pickups.

Be patient and wait for used 5909s and you'll thank me later.

I pulled the pups this morning and they were marked G&B again my first PRS so are they standard for SE's made at World Music in S, Korea.
@gush I looked into 5909's and I'm sure they sound fantastic but I'm afraid the cost is above my pay grade I do however appreciate the info because I know now to keep on the look out for a good deal on a set
I found a used but good set of SD Pearly Gates locally for cheap supposed to pick them up Sunday I know the guy so it's a definite deal. I'm going to change out the pots( the ones in it are Alphas) and switch they appear to be fine the rust appears to be only on the surface of the pups but while I'm at it I thought I'd change them out with ones that have brass shafts they're cheap so why not. I sometimes buy cheap guitars and mod them and have found CTS pots and Switchcraft toggle switches and output jacks work really well but sometimes you have to drill the holes out a bit in Asian made guitars but I can't think of any reason why not to use them but if you guys have any opinions on pots and switches for PRS SE's then please let me know.
Anyway that's my plan.

KJ2vHsm.jpg

mQ1EitE.jpg

Yes, the G&B's are made overseas to PRS specs and are in most models except the Core models (made in USA).
My 2018 S2 Custom has them, they're called the 85/15-S. I'm not sure but I was thinking the the 'S' meant Singapore.
Anyone?

Back