1997 CE 22 action issues

Hi,

First post here. Normally, I can solve my issues with extensive searches but I am stuck on this one...

I just picked up a 97 CE w/tremelo and I cannot get the action even close to normal. I think this guitar hung on the wall for roughly 16 years un-played at all. It was bought new in 2000 and the seller told me his son played it for a year or two then it went un-played. The strings were black when I bought it and I thought it just needed a setup. However, I am struggling to get it playing.

I have done the following: Neck relief is set to maybe get a piece of paper under the 8th fret when holding down on the first and last fret. I also watched the John Mann video and did the 2.5 mm allen wrench trick to set the tremelo screw height correctly. The nut seems to check out fine. The saddle on low E string is bottomed out and I have a 4/32 string height still at the12th fret. I'm using 10-46 strings. (I have since gone back and basically bottomed out the tremolo in an attempt to lower the action - still no luck. I did relieve all tension and pulled the springs before making adjustments)

I am thinking this guitar needs a neck shim and I'm OK with that but I cannot find anything online about a PRS needing a shim so I thought I would ask here. A shim seems to be the logical next step but I'm new to setting up guitars so I could very well be missing something that is specific to this guitar.

Just curious what thoughts may be out there on this issue? Or if I'm missing a thread on others that have shimmed their CE necks...

Thanks!

Chris
You’re not the first or last. Just picked up a first year CE22 and it’s in desperate need of a shim. I’m experienced and there’s no mistaking that kind of pitch issue near the body.
I’m super bummed as even the best made shim introduces a foreign object into the most crucial contact point in the whole instrument. Something I expect on a Fender but not a PRS.

Back