1986 PRS value?

Folkway Music

Hello,

I’m posting from Folkway Music in Canada. We’re a vintage shop that specializes in acoustics and older vintage guitars than PRS, but we just took in a 1986 PRS in trade.

It’s a pre-standard 24, in white. Serial numbered in the 1200’s, 1986 build; appears completely original.

We’d love some help knowing if there are any features PRS enthusiasts are interested in beyond the obvious dating details with these guitars. We have next to no experience with early PRS guitars and could use the help. In addition, price guide and online values are really all over the map with these; can anyone point us in the direction of a guitar shop or dealer who might have a more accurate current idea of pricing?

Thanks for any help. Moderators, feel free to move or delete this post if it’s in any way disallowed.

I've only just seen this and can see on one else has replied – the older guitars are a niche interest here. To try to answer your questions prices of pre-Standards are all over the place on the internet, as you’ve noticed. Generally speaking the ones priced high don’t seem to sell – I can think of several that haven’t shifted. Looking at your website I think you’ve pitched your guitar at a sensible price – I hope it sells for you. The advert looks great (ditto the guitar). If it has a blue-lined case I’d mention that but looking at the pictures I suspect it’s in a black-lined case (more common and less desirable). The only other things that might help would be some shots of the pickup backs / pickup cavities plus a shot of the control cavity. Originality and condition are important so obviously highlight any issues etc if there are any. Garett Park Guitars are probably the best dealers to ask if you want any advice on selling old PRS as they’ve sold them for years. Rumble Seat Music have sold a few too so might be another port of call. Best wishes.

Last edited:
That’s very helpful! Thanks for taking the time to post this reply. Some pickup photos and wiring details would be helpful for certain. Funny those were omitted.

All the best,
Mark

Back