ZM Tuner rattle

rubalup

Hi to all,

last night before rehearsal I was warming up with my ZM and immediately noted a weird noise (unplugged) I haven't heard before... after scratching my head for ten minutes I discover that the rattle (notorious noise) stopped if I aply a little pressure on top of the 6th string tuning peg. It happens mainly when open strings are played.

The only two screws I see on the tuning peg are tight... it seems to be something inside is loose...

any ideas about what can be done?

Have you tried tightening the nut at the base of the peg with a spanner?

not sure what you mean Flimbo... I don't see any adjustable piece besides the two screws that attach the tuning machine to the headstock

Flimbo means the nut you can see if you look at the face of the headstock around the shaft of the tuning peg. Plus try the screw which holds the tuner button on.

Flimbo means the nut you can see if you look at the face of the headstock around the shaft of the tuning peg. Plus try the screw which holds the tuner button on.

Thanks for your answer... I cant see any adjustable nut or anything... could you point me?

sg4u1k.jpg

DO you hear it through the amp? If not, I wouldn't worry about it much. Guitars make some little noises, rings, buzzes acoustically sometimes. I suppose you can replace the tuner/grommet, but it may not help.

I've had this happen with vintage-style tuners before. I hate vintage-style tuners.
If it was me (and it's not so take this however you wish, because I am a known nimrod) I would yank those vintage-style tuners from the headstock with utmost haste and get a set of modern sealed locking tuners up on there. Did I mention that I hate vintage-style tuners?

Thanks a lot for the answers.

vchizzle: I can hear the rattle on the amp but is much more notorious when playing acoustically... really distracting. Still dont understand what is supposed to be adjusted/tightened... I guess my english is still lame

gball: I get you... but I love how this vintage tuners look on that guitar! I´m even considering getting a set of Gotoh SD90 locking tuners now that I have an excuse to convince my better half.

jbird: i dont think is a nut related issue... I´ve owned the guitar for almost 7 months and is the first time it happened

rubalup, can you post a nice close-up photo of the back of the guitar headstock? Maybe I can compare it to mine and see if there is something not quite right. Just out of interest, did you make sure the truss rod cover screw is tight?

But more than likely it is a case of something in that tuning peg (or another, you never know...) is loose/misfitting. If that is the case, and you swap to the Gotoh SD90s, the problem should go away.

gball: I get you... but I love how this vintage tuners look on that guitar! I´m even considering getting a set of Gotoh SD90 locking tuners now that I have an excuse to convince my better half.

I feel you on the look. My LP has the Tone Pros kluson-style on it:
gibson-lespaul-studio-headstock.jpg

Vintage look but modern guts. You need a 10mm hole but well worth the reaming if you want to retain the look (IMHO).

rubalup, can you post a nice close-up photo of the back of the guitar headstock? Maybe I can compare it to mine and see if there is something not quite right. Just out of interest, did you make sure the truss rod cover screw is tight?

But more than likely it is a case of something in that tuning peg (or another, you never know...) is loose/misfitting. If that is the case, and you swap to the Gotoh SD90s, the problem should go away.

Sure, I´ll do that. I will try to record a video with my phone to illustrate the problem. The rattle stops if I put some pressure on the 6th string tuning peg

Possibly a warranty issue. I am sure the fine folks at PRS would send you a replacement tuner if that's the case.

I seriously dislike the vintage tuners too but not hard to replace either. I did that on my mcsoapy with Kluson style lockers ....much better now.

One word of warning. Prs usually glues the grommets in to place so be careful when trying to get them out. I had to take mine to my luthier and he had to heat the grommets up just to get them out .

Hi to all,

last night before rehearsal I was warming up with my ZM and immediately noted a weird noise (unplugged) I haven't heard before... after scratching my head for ten minutes I discover that the rattle (notorious noise) stopped if I aply a little pressure on top of the 6th string tuning peg. It happens mainly when open strings are played.

The only two screws I see on the tuning peg are tight... it seems to be something inside is loose...

any ideas about what can be done?
Same issue....Finally found that the plastic knob was loose on the machine shaft. A drop of super glue, let it set and problem solved. Might give it a try.

Same issue....Finally found that the plastic knob was loose on the machine shaft. A drop of super glue, let it set and problem solved. Might give it a try.

wow reviving this to share what a great tip!
I’ve had this problem with vintage tuners for years and never thought to try this and glad to say it solved my problem on 3 separate guitars lol. I’m a bit clumsy

Back