ZIRICOTE VS Brazilian neck tonal differences??

Wondering because Sweetwater has almost the identical hb 594 ps I would order but with a ziricote neck and fretboard. Never played one.

Wondering because Sweetwater has almost the identical hb 594 ps I would order but with a ziricote neck and fretboard. Never played one.
David Wren took a bunch of measurements when considering ziricote as a replacement for Braz on acoustics and all came out virtually identical.
11top probably knows how it translates to a PRS neck.

What I can tell you from recent involvement with a Ziricote fretboard, is that it appears harder than rosewood, less open grained and sexy as h€ll to look at!!:D

David Wren took a bunch of measurements when considering ziricote as a replacement for Braz on acoustics and all came out virtually identical.
11top probably knows how it translates to a PRS neck.

While I like both, I’d choose Brazilian over anything. It seems to sustain better to me. But again, I’d be happy with either; I like dense necks.

Last edited:
Ziricote can have some insane figuring. I bought a Warmoth neck for a project, roasted flame maple with figured ziricote fingerboard, 59 profile. Plays amazingly well. No idea how it compares to Brazilian rosewood, but it's beautiful to look at.

This one?

F64_DEDE0-081_F-47_A9-_BA6_B-_C3_B6_F630_D415.jpg

DBA8_C60_A-8_BD2-408_D-8_C5_B-_EB9_CA610_FAB4.jpg

DA47_C45_A-2_F0_F-42_E4-_B5_E5-_B2_E61_E8_C7_C7_B.jpg

I’d take a flyer on that!

This one?

F64_DEDE0-081_F-47_A9-_BA6_B-_C3_B6_F630_D415.jpg

DBA8_C60_A-8_BD2-408_D-8_C5_B-_EB9_CA610_FAB4.jpg

DA47_C45_A-2_F0_F-42_E4-_B5_E5-_B2_E61_E8_C7_C7_B.jpg

I’d take a flyer on that!

You rascal!!! :D

Yes sir. That TOTALLY does it for me. Off the charts stunning. I would probably get along fine with the Ziricote, but the one thing stopping me is those damn internal braces. :( Same thing with a few of the HB 594 hollowbody run of 60. Stunning guitars, but being a jazzier player, I want it to ring acoustically as loud as possible.
I think I have to go for a PS built to McCarty HB specs, not HB 2. I am sure Paul Miles knows exactly what I want. Hes the one who actually went back to the blue prints of the original Artist 3 semi hollows to get my Pomegranate built right.
Another thought I had was to go for the deeper, original archtop build. That guitar above keeps calling me though. What a killer. Hmmmmm....

You rascal!!! :D

Yes sir. That TOTALLY does it for me. Off the charts stunning. I would probably get along fine with the Ziricote, but the one thing stopping me is those damn internal braces. :( Same thing with a few of the HB 594 hollowbody run of 60. Stunning guitars, but being a jazzier player, I want it to ring acoustically as loud as possible.
I think I have to go for a PS built to McCarty HB specs, not HB 2. I am sure Paul Miles knows exactly what I want. Hes the one who actually went back to the blue prints of the original Artist 3 semi hollows to get my Pomegranate built right.
Another thought I had was to go for the deeper, original archtop build. That guitar above keeps calling me though. What a killer. Hmmmmm....
I’m all about that due diligence! :)

And I’ve been called worse :D

I’d say go with what you really want, less trading in the long run (looks at own guitar collection debating hypothetical trades yet again) :)

If you don't like the acoustic properties of the HBII, I agree. I wound up flipping mine for similar reasons.

Did you ever play a McCarty HB, pre bracing??
25% louder acoustically and very resonant.
It took me a while after sending my HB 2 back, but eventually found a beauty. Would still LOVE to try an early archtop!!!!

Just...wow.

Lol!! I have looked at that guitar so many times Im surprised the finish is not starting to fade a bit....A different kind of spooky action at a distance.
:D

Has to be one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen. Has everything, but does not look like it. Amazing build. Someone should buy it right away.

Back