Zero Glide ... hmmmm...

Interesting.

But some equally interesting claims.
1. 'Lowest possible action. It's simply another fret. You can't get lower than that.'
Want a lower action, cut your conventional nut lower.

2. 'Best playability because of lowest possible action.'
See number 1.

3. 'Best tuning stability.'
Harder conventional nuts will give the same tuning stability.

4a.'Open string tone more like fretted tone.'
See number 3.

4b. 'More articulate.'
Articulation is not a function of nut material. It is much more dependent upon technique.

5. 'There's not a single thing you can do to your guitar that's gonna make it feel better and play better than the ZeroGlide System, period.'
That's just an unbelievable whopper....

I'm sure there will be guys, even famous, talented guys, who think this is the best thing to ever happen to guitars.

Me - I'd just rather have a nice, conventional PTC setup done.

I have wondered about this for several years. It makes a lot of sense to me, although it is not "just another fret" . It pretty much has to be a little taller than the rest of the frets............. IMHO

I have wondered about this for several years. It makes a lot of sense to me, although it is not "just another fret" . It pretty much has to be a little taller than the rest of the frets............. IMHO

I think so too.

I also watched the installation guide.. There are three different sized (height) frets as options in each kit. You are supposed to match the one to use with your existing frets and trial install it (no glue). If there is buzzing, you are to use the next larger (taller) size.

So, with only three height choices I'm even a bit less enamored with their claim of setting the absolutely perfect height for your instrument.

Add to that, what are you supposed to do if the tall one is too short???

Their fretboard radius matching seems problematic as well. For example, a nut sized for a fretboard radius of 16" is supposed to "self seat" to the radius of a fretboard +/- 6". Not exactly the precision I would expect for the absolute best thing I could ever do to improve my guitar.

pass...

Last edited:
So...this basically makes the string contact point this new zero fret instead of the bottom of the nut slot. This is good because...?

It is supposed to be harder and slicker for less binding.

But you can get the same benefits from a harder conventional nut filed properly. I sent my HBI Goldtop to PTC for a setup and it came back wonderful.

Could it be more wonderful with a ZeroFret? I don't think so with set nut (fret) heights and iffy radius matching.

Last edited:
Way back in the day I had a couple of guitars equipped with Zero frets. Worked great and always made sense to me. Have been surprised they haven't been used for so long...

There are people who love zero fret instruments, and people who don't like them. I'm Switzerland on that - neutral. Played some nice guitars with 'em, and played some nice guitars without 'em.

My feeling is that I like what PRS is doing,and it ain't broke, so I ain't fixin' it. ;)

If you notice they compared it to white bone or plastic nuts and not graphite black ones used on PRSi, I also remember some guitars came out with zero frets back in the 70's and they never caught on. There's got to be a reason for that.
On top of that that also mention how many guitars come setup poorly from the mfg, that's *NOT* a PRS trait, especially on core models. I, for one, have never had a nut issue with ANY PRS instrument I've owned.

I used to own a Brian May Red Special. It was a fun, cool guitar that played and sounded great. But the zero fret on that guitar didn't blow my mind and make me want one on all my guitars.

Found a thread about this on a tele forum with posts from someone who says he has first hand experience with these contraptions and gives lot's of details.
In short, he is not impressed....

So, there you have it....

It pretty much has to be a little taller than the rest of the frets............. IMHO

It's not actually taller - it just has better self-esteem so it doesn't slouch as much as the regular frets. :proud:

I saw this gizmo yesterday and, quite frankly, couldn't see much of a reason for it. Regular nuts work just fine for me. Zero frets may, as well, but I haven't found a compelling reason to go to one.

Back