Zach Myers Sig SE

GuitarAddict

Hi all, my first post here. Getting back into playing after several years away due to ill health.
I bought my first PRS 3 weeks ago.
Anyone else a little surprised at the SE build quality?

Hi all, this is my first post on this forum, well technically it's my second, as the first one just vanished, funny how that seems to happen.

Anyway, anyone else surprised with the quality of the PRS SE edition guitars?

Once I'd set the guitar up, the factory set up was terrible, everything that could be wrong was, bass side of bridge lower than treble, truss rod too tight, high fret at 18 th and intonation was off, but once I had sorted all that I was impressed with the build quality and just love that fat neck and the playability.
That is until there was interference on the signal from the neck pick up and I started checking the wiring. Shame the soldering and wiring isn't up to the build quality of the rest of the instrument. I have ordered new parts and will be rewiring it all and putting in a coil tap too. But, it shouldn't be necessary on an £800 guitar.

Are you in the US, and is it Korean or Indonesian made? I have 5 Korean made SE's, all with outstanding build quality. Any changes I made (other than the nut) were to satisfy my whims, not correct a problem.

No I am in Europe and it's made in Korea by World Musical Instruments Ltd.
I use to have a CORT M900 made in the same factory. It had similar issues.

the first one just vanished, funny how that seems to happen.

REALLY? You signed up and chose to participate in the forum for this? Has there been a problem getting an issue/issues resolved to your satisfaction? Have you tried?

Ugh. Pie again. Really have a hankering for Pablo cheesecake from Japan. Does this count??

This is getting repetitive.

Kevin

REALLY? You signed up and chose to participate in the forum for this? Has there been a problem getting an issue/issues resolved to your satisfaction? Have you tried?

Ugh. Pie again. Really have a hankering for Pablo cheesecake from Japan. Does this count??

Kevin
I signed up to this forum to see if I was just unlucky and this was an isolated guitar that slipped through qc. Or if it is a regular occurrence.
If it is getting repetitive I would assume that it is the latter.
Don't insult me by asking if this is all I signed up for.
I don't trust others to work on my guitars for very good reason, and I am perfectly capable of rectifying these faults myself which saves me a two hour round trip to the guitar dealer I bought it from.

I have all the information I need, I won't be posting here again. Your loss I could have shared a wealth of information with people here.

Thank you to those that replied.

I signed up to this forum to see if I was just unlucky and this was an isolated guitar that slipped through qc. Or if it is a regular occurrence.
I don't trust others to work on my guitars for very good reason, and I am perfectly capable of rectifying these faults myself which saves me a two hour round trip to the guitar dealer I bought it from.

I have all the information I need, I won't be posting here again. Your loss I could have shared a wealth of information with people here.

All the best. Enjoy it in good health.

Enjoy your day.

Kevin

;)

I see a lot of the Meyer SE’s on Craigslist around here...more than any other SE for some reason - usually around $550-$650. I have never played one, so I cannot speak from personal experience.

Having said that I wouldn't post again, I have been left a few PM's which go a long way to explain why I received such a warm welcome here.
I did not intend to insult anyone, or slag off the PRS brand. Indeed I have just placed an order for a John Mayer signature model which I think shows my loyalty to the brand.

The problems I had with the Zach Myers guitar have only this morning been resolved.
I replaced the faulty potentiometer with a new one, and did some rewiring, the standard of the wiring is not really very good. That solved the back ground crackle on the neck pick up.

The most frustrating problem was the lack of sustain particularly on the 3rd string. Open wasn't too bad, but fretted anywhere the string just didn't ring like the others. I modified the pick up mounts to stop the pickups from resonating, and the same with the truss rod cover, in case the annoying vibration from these was cancelling out the string vibration, but it made little difference. I then found that the stop tail bridge was rotating forward under string tension, and that the 3rd saddle was machined at a slightly different angle to the rest, meaning that the string was free to vibrate along the line of the saddle rather than at the end. It sounded like a Sitar, the saddles on which are designed like this.
see link; http://www.sitarfactory.be/maintenance/jawari/

Once I had identified this problem I re-profiled the saddle and cut a new groove, and shimmed the bridge to prevent the forward rotation.

The short scale length which is unique to this signature model guitar adds to this problem if the saddles are slightly out on the profile, or the bridge rotates forward more than an acceptable amount. Being a lower string tension, it exaggerates these problems. With a higher tension string the saddle profile would not be such a problem as the string would hold itself in place more readily. Which is probably why so many Zach Myers guitars are appearing for sale second hand. Indeed if my final efforts to fix it hadn't been successful, I would now be trading it for something else.

I now have a guitar that plays and sounds as good as it looks.

I wonder how many of the owners of the Zach Myers guitars that are up for sale, as mentioned in the previous post, are now put off from ever owning another PRS, if they experienced the same problems I did, but were unable to fix them??

Kevin

When people have issues there should be no problem bringing it up. I don't see how the post could be inflammatory. Why don't you chill out.

Reactions: JJJ
Having said that I wouldn't post again, I have been left a few PM's which go a long way to explain why I received such a warm welcome here.
I did not intend to insult anyone, or slag off the PRS brand. Indeed I have just placed an order for a John Mayer signature model which I think shows my loyalty to the brand.

The problems I had with the Zach Myers guitar have only this morning been resolved.
I replaced the faulty potentiometer with a new one, and did some rewiring, the standard of the wiring is not really very good. That solved the back ground crackle on the neck pick up.

The most frustrating problem was the lack of sustain particularly on the 3rd string. Open wasn't too bad, but fretted anywhere the string just didn't ring like the others. I modified the pick up mounts to stop the pickups from resonating, and the same with the truss rod cover, in case the annoying vibration from these was cancelling out the string vibration, but it made little difference. I then found that the stop tail bridge was rotating forward under string tension, and that the 3rd saddle was machined at a slightly different angle to the rest, meaning that the string was free to vibrate along the line of the saddle rather than at the end. It sounded like a Sitar, the saddles on which are designed like this.
see link; http://www.sitarfactory.be/maintenance/jawari/

Once I had identified this problem I re-profiled the saddle and cut a new groove, and shimmed the bridge to prevent the forward rotation.

The short scale length which is unique to this signature model guitar adds to this problem if the saddles are slightly out on the profile, or the bridge rotates forward more than an acceptable amount. Being a lower string tension, it exaggerates these problems. With a higher tension string the saddle profile would not be such a problem as the string would hold itself in place more readily. Which is probably why so many Zach Myers guitars are appearing for sale second hand. Indeed if my final efforts to fix it hadn't been successful, I would now be trading it for something else.

I now have a guitar that plays and sounds as good as it looks.

I wonder how many of the owners of the Zach Myers guitars that are up for sale, as mentioned in the previous post, are now put off from ever owning another PRS, if they experienced the same problems I did, but were unable to fix them??
I personally appreciate your posting and learned from it. I've seen lots of really positive reviews of the Zach Myers but ALSO seen numerous posts about QC issues with them. If I was ever to buy another PRS it's one I'd strongly think about. And it's good to know what I'd be dealing with.

I learn a lot more from those who are able to post dispassionately about both what's right and what's wrong with a given guitar than those who ONLY lovingly gush over how great every PRS is. I'm probably closer to the latter, but I only have one PRS, it's a core 594, and it really IS just about perfect to my ears and eyes and hands. So I can't do much other than gush. But I'm just lucky or picked a model with almost all upside and no apparent downside. But I've played other PRS guitars that didn't move me at all, so I'm not uncritical, just mostly so about the PRS I own.

I hope you stay around - you obviously have much to contribute...

-Ray

@GuitarAddict , thanks for the info regarding how you addressed the issues you had with your ZM. And that link to how a sitar bridge works was very informative to me (I had no idea how sitars got that sound, now I know a bit more...).

My ZM has never been an issue for me, nothing like what you reported. Maybe I got lucky, maybe the QC in that factory or its suppliers degraded a bit over time (I got my ZM in the first year of production, and because it was a limited Spalted Maple top run, it might have undergone a slightly different build process).

I do recall many folks unhappy with the "loose fit" of the bridge on the bridge pins. From what I remember from the one and only time all strings have been off the guitar (when I put covers on my pickups), it seemed like a good fit, not too loose, but admittedly probably not as precise as the US made PRSi.

Out of curiosity, what year is your ZM? (You can tell by the Serial Number on the back - the first letter indicates year of manufacture.)

Hmm, now I'm gonna go play my ZM for a while...

Two things I’d like to know -

Have you purchased from this shop/supplier before and we’re there any issues?

Is there any information online to suggest other customers have experienced problems with the shop/supplier.

I’m obviously not asking you to name and shame. It’s unusual for a PRS to arrive with the first owner with so many faults. Also any good shop would have a decent return policy, but perhaps shouldn’t have let the instrument leave them without a proper QC.

Good to hear you’ve sorted the problems with it.

Back