Zach Myers SE vs Custom 22 Semi-hollow SE

Annaxes

Subterranean Homesick Alien
I've decided that i want myself a semi hollow. I play a lot of alternative (radiohead, Phish) But i need something that sustains. I tried the Prs S2 singlecut Semi hollow but i found it a bit too dark. Would i get the same tone darker as the s2? I dont want something really bright but something lively. I am thinking about putting some new pickups in it too. Something that has a nice PAF tone and a USA PRS nut as well. I'm falling in love with the color on the ZM and the satin neck but i also am leading towards the 25' scale or the custom. Both are beautiful but no stores around me have any of these guitars so i cannot go out and try one. The neck profiles scare me a bit, i love the strats 60s neck and the gibson slim 60's as well but never had trouble playing the baseball bat on a old tele either. I appreciate any help for anyone that has played any of these!

Hi there Satanoffspring lol that was fun to type. I do not own the S2 but I do own the Zach Myers and love it. I do not find it to be overly dark in tone and think you would be happy with it. I am not sure if my pickups were super dialed in height-wise but the stock pickups sound fantastic. I have found for certain songs I write it is the only guitar that will do. I have even used it for non obvious uses, like a shreddy solo etc. Lots of great applications for this guitar. Don't let the name Wide-Fat scare you. I border on "Baby Hands" lol and I have NO trouble with chords in 1st position or sweeping licks all over the neck. My advice, its Xmas find a deal on one and snag it up! Here is a dropbox link of a rough track of just Click, Drum, and a Double Tracked Zach Myers for you to listen to.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8kq5r22p03f120n/Winery%20Baby%20drum%20mix.mp3?dl=0

I have both guitars.
The ZM is not as easy to play as my son's Christmas present (the SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow), so for me the latter blows the ZM away.
I have been playing it every weekend since I picked it up.

It's all about what you prefer. Other than being semi-hollow, these are two pretty different animals. The ZM is going to have the larger wide/fat neck, which is chunky but still very nice, a little bit thicker body, 24.5" scale, and the satin neck. The 22 is a bit thinner in the body, wide/thin neck which I would say is a bit like a Gibson 60s neck, 25" scale, and a glossy neck, which can be turned more satin-y with a brillo pad or something like that. Both are stoptails, so there's no difference there. It really just comes down to whether you prefer the singlecut with the shorter scale or the doublecut with the longer scale.

I've played a little of both and I think I prefer the ZM. It has a little more sustain from the thicker body and the satin neck is just plain nice but honestly, both of these are really nice and you can't go wrong with either.

My buddy has a ZM, and I briefly looked at a new SE CU22 semi in the shop, both are great guitars. I also owned an older SE CU22 and loved it. I like the satin neck on the ZM more, and the 245 pickups IMO are the best SE pickups to date. But if you are drawn by the features of one more than another, go with your gut. They're both great and you won't be disappointed either way.

Also, have you thought about a Mira semi? I believe the pickups are brighter than the singlecut, I think it would be right up your alley...

Back