Zach Myers Locking tuner replacement - cuation

Were you able to press the collars in by hand or did you have to use a clamp of some type to press them in? I pick up my ZM tomorrow and will probable order the tuners before I change the factory strings. I'm retired on a fixed income and don't want to pay to have them installed, just afraid to chip or crack the headstock veneer if I have to ream out the peg hole to accomodate the bushings.

Were you able to press the collars in by hand or did you have to use a clamp of some type to press them in? I pick up my ZM tomorrow and will probable order the tuners before I change the factory strings. I'm retired on a fixed income and don't want to pay to have them installed, just afraid to chip or crack the headstock veneer if I have to ream out the peg hole to accomodate the bushings.
Honestly I put 2 of the new ones in and stopped for the same reason your stating. I just left the other 4 original collars in.

The black ones were very tight but I like your idea of using a clamp to press them in. Maybe lube it with some wood oil also?

Honestly I put 2 of the new ones in and stopped for the same reason your stating. I just left the other 4 original collars in.

The black ones were very tight but I like your idea of using a clamp to press them in. Maybe lube it with some wood oil also?

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm thinking if the tuners drop in to the original factory bushings so be it. I won't mess with installing the new ones. So did the other 4 drop in ok? I've replaced tuners with screw in bushings before, so these tuners are held in place with just the 2 screws from behind? Did you use the old screws or the new one from the new tuners. Sorry for all the questions , but your help is much appreciated.:D

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm thinking if the tuners drop in to the original factory bushings so be it. I won't mess with installing the new ones. So did the other 4 drop in ok? I've replaced tuners with screw in bushings before, so these tuners are held in place with just the 2 screws from behind? Did you use the old screws or the new one from the new tuners. Sorry for all the questions , but your help is much appreciated.:D
Screws that came with the Klusons were too small. I used the stock screws. And yes, the tuners dropped into the stock bushings perfectly.

Yes, I should have said...if you desire to change the ferrules. They don't need to be removed unless you have the all Gold Phase 3 tuners!

Thanks guy. Sounds like it's a non issue. I'll just leave the original bushings and use the original screws and will be golden. My ZM arrived today, just letting it acclimate.
I'll give the stock Klusons a try maybe I'll get lucky and it will stay in tune, but not holding my breath. OTOH, my Taylor acoustic needs tuning twice a year whether it needs it or not, Thing just doesn't go out of tune. Thanks again ;)

It's a 2021. Sweetwater was saying July to get one. I found this pop up on ZZounds it's been backordered everywhere.

Previous owner swapped the tuners to locking. You can see what can happen if your not careful.

cN8rwzw.jpg

sBA34Cp.jpg

AZNNArm.jpg

If you have the green ZM than I would say order the Mann made drop in tuners. The Green matches well. Same string up design like a phase 2 tuner. I have no doubt he will create a black version in time for the newer ones

Just dropped a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat in the neck position of my blue ZM.

Moved it away from the strings a bit and OMG! It has that David Gilmour strat neck position sound only 10 times fatter. That sick bluesy crying tone.

Had it close to the strings and noticed it was too loud. Moved it down and BOOM.

Installed new Kluson Revolution non collar locking tuners on the Zach Myers today.

They fit but the black trim collar that goes on top was a very tight fit.

I was too scared to try to remove the stock collars, so I left them.

I don't have the all-black look I was shooting for, but oddly it now has the same vibe as my Cores which all have silver collars and the black thumbscrews!

And +1 on the Kluson screws being too skinny for the existing holes. I reused the stock screws.

Installed kluson revolution locking non collared today. Super easy. Even replaced the bushing. Removing the bushings was easy (the old trick of rock a screwdriver inside of it for 5 seconds per youtube) and then quick reaming for 2 seconds for the replacement bushings and it was good to go. I did not have to be concerned about cracking any poly finish since my guitar is satin. I advise to take caution with reaming if yours does have poly finish, but reaming is easier than using a clamp to force the bushings in. The included screws are too thin so I did use the stock. If I find my spare spray paint can of black paint I’ll do the screw heads real quick
2tr7huW.jpg

WH2qcEv.jpg

Overall I enjoy them quite a bit more than the stock. Reminds me of the locking tuners that are on modern fenders that are rock solid and buttery smooth. I imagine this will work the same for both Zach Myers, Paul’s guitars, and the McCartys with vintage non locking tuners. Exact same footprints. The Klusons come in nickel, gold, chrome and black. If I can install them I know anybody can.

Installed kluson revolution locking non collared today. Super easy. Even replaced the bushing. Removing the bushings was easy (the old trick of rock a screwdriver inside of it for 5 seconds per youtube) and then quick reaming for 2 seconds for the replacement bushings and it was good to go. I did not have to be concerned about cracking any poly finish since my guitar is satin. I advise to take caution with reaming if yours does have poly finish, but reaming is easier than using a clamp to force the bushings in. The included screws are too thin so I did use the stock. If I find my spare spray paint can of black paint I’ll do the screw heads real quick
2tr7huW.jpg

WH2qcEv.jpg

Overall I enjoy them quite a bit more than the stock. Reminds me of the locking tuners that are on modern fenders that are rock solid and buttery smooth. I imagine this will work the same for both Zach Myers, Paul’s guitars, and the McCartys with vintage non locking tuners. Exact same footprints. The Klusons come in nickel, gold, chrome and black. If I can install them I know anybody can.
Dig the black. Looks great.

2tr7huW.jpg

WH2qcEv.jpg

I'm still too scared to do the collars. Mine has the Brian's quilted fade veneer and I really don't want to mess it up.

I realize this is an old thread, but it's part of the reason I signed up. This thread came up searching for "Zach Myers tuners"...

Regarding the fitment of Gotoh SD90 locking tuners; why some do, why some don't.
I believe there are two different ones being discussed.
SD90 MG(6mm post and post locker)
SD90 MG-T(1/4" post and thumbwheel locker)
SD90 MG should work with the stock 6mm I.D. bushings.

The SD90 MG-T are still an option, if you are willing to ream to 10mm. Gotoh makes a 10mm O.D. to 1/4" I.D.adapter bushing.

Back