Zach Myers demoing his AMAZING!! new SE

I've read that f hole does not really have an impact on the sound of a guitar, is that really true?
I mean you are removing a piece of the wood, so that should have an impact on the tone.

I've read that f hole does not really have an impact on the sound of a guitar, is that really true?
I mean you are removing a piece of the wood, so that should have an impact on the tone.
It's probably not as dramatic as a true hollowbody, but it has to have some effect on the tone.

This is an interesting thread. I just picked up a Marsden SE at GC, and the girl asked if I wanted to buy a bag. I told her that they were supposed to come with them, so she went to look for it. She came back a long time later carrying a grey bag (I didn't question it as I think the maroon one it is supposed to come with is sort of ugly). When I got home, I realized that it was used (gently), and even had a bunch of picks in the inner pocket. There was no hang tag, warranty card or tools however. When I called and inquired about that stuff, she said that she couldn't find the one that it was supposed to come with, so she gave me that one. No biggie, I didn't need the tools, and I contacted PRS with my info to register it. I guess I got lucky! I did get a screaming deal on it, so I am pretty happy.

OK, that begs the question....

PRS guitars come with a giblet bag - the warranty card, a brochure, a truss rod wrench and a whammy bar for trem models. HOW does GC deliver that stuff at the time of sale when they are not delivering gig bags?

I remember buying an SE a few years ago at GC and refusing to pay more for the bag (I got it with the agreed price of the guitar). If I had not insisted, I get the distinct impression that I would have not gotten the giblet bag either.

Are people walking out of GC with NEW SEs and no warranty card or Truss rod wrench?!?!!?!?

Last edited:
I have a semi solid G&L ASAT Classic tele with one "f" hole. I don't think it has much affect on the tone.

I also have a Schecter C-1 electric/acoustic hybrid with Seymour Duncan full sized humbuckers, a JB bridge and '59 neck. This guitar sounds and plays awesome. It was an expensive guitar but I got a super great deal on it from GC when they didn't have the guitar I went there for. The manager totally wanted to sell me something before I went home and he showed me the Schecter. It was a beautiful guitar, with fine details and a beautiful top and binding. It also is a hybrid. The best hybrid I have played. It has the Graphtec type acoustic simulating string saddles and the really nice acoustic simulation electronics. It is also stereo. The guitar is super nice and I got it for less than half the price they were asking, like 327 dollars out the door. I was reluctant to buy it because I went there for an SG, a completely different guitar. I asked the manager to bring it back to me to try out further and I liked it so much I went home with it. It is one of my nicest guitars. I had some custom work done by pro's on it; the new pickups installed and new audio taper pots. It has a thick mahogany back like the G&L and about a quarter inch thick curly maple top. The G&L has a Swamp Ash top.

These guitars that I have, semi solid, do not sound like a hollow body or even a semi hollow body. They sound very much like a regular solid body electric guitar. Someone else might notice more of a difference.

I would expect this guitar to sound like a normal electric guitar, possibly a slight difference, if noticeable, unless you are an oscilloscope, and not be prone to any type of feedback like hollow bodies. Crank it up with high gain and not have to worry about feedback. That would be my guess based on what I have that is similar.

Last edited:
I would expect this guitar to sound like a normal electric guitar, possibly a slight difference, if noticeable, unless you are an oscilloscope, and not be prone to any type of feedback like hollow bodies. Crank it up with high gain and not have to worry about feedback. That would be my guess based on what I have that is similar.

I hope you're right.
I really have my sights on this guitar but I also play through a dual rectifier at hi gain a majority of the time, so feedback is a concern.

I would think that if feedback was a big issue, Zach wouldn't being playing his through the Archon and whatever else is in his rig for Shinedown.

That being said, I totally plan on playing "Stranglehold" with that bad boy pushed right up to the grill of my speaker cab!

I have my eyes on this guitar as well and have since the very first speculation post some months ago where somebody snapped a pic of it in Zach's rack. Speaking to the gigbag/GC issue raised, I will say that my wife surprised with with a black Navarro SE a couple of years ago. She bought it new at GC and it came with a gigbag but was missing the trem bar when I opened it. A few days later I went to GC with the receipt and told them the trem bar was missing. They combed the storeroom for it but couldn't find one so they ordered one for me from PRS at no charge. So, it must just depend on the particular location and how it is managed.

OK, that begs the question....

PRS guitars come with a giblet bag - the warranty card, a brochure, a truss rod wrench and a whammy bar for trem models. HOW does GC deliver that stuff at the time of sale when they are not delivering gig bags?

I remember buying an SE a few years ago at GC and refusing to pay more for the bag (I got it with the agreed price of the guitar). If I had not insisted, I get the distinct impression that I would have not gotten the giblet bag either.

Are people walking out of GC with NEW SEs and no warranty card or Truss rod wrench?!?!!?!?
Yep, new guitar, no stuff. I may inquire again, but my original salesmen was on vacation when I originally went back and asked about it. I was able to register by emailing PRS, so it's no big deal to me at this point. Does seem a little strange though I guess.

I hope you're right.
I really have my sights on this guitar but I also play through a dual rectifier at hi gain a majority of the time, so feedback is a concern.

I will grab my Schecter C-1 E/A out of my guitar room. JB and '59 humbuckers. It has two "f" hole chambers I believe. I have my Marshalls set up for high gain. I'll play it thru them loud and see if it sounds like my black strat with the JB and Jazz. I just finished playing the JB on the black strat at high gain and the Santana SE with the stock SE245 pickups sounds just as good to me and very similar. The SE245 bridge pickup is just as loud and high gain as the JB on the strat, maybe louder hitting the amp at the exact same settings. I'll see how my semi solid Schecter compares to these two. I also have an SE Standard (see avatar) with a JB bridge and can compare it to the Schecter as well.

The Schecter has a thick mahagonay back and a thick curly maple top. I'll check if it has one or two "f" holes but I'm almost positive it has two. It is not a light guitar but it is versatile with the acoustic simulation side of the stereo electronics, the full humbucking side of the switch, and both the acoustic and humbucking sides combined. Thru an acoustic and electric amp, in stereo, it sounds incredible. Combined thru a good electric amp it sounds real good too, even on acoustic. I'll just compare the bridge JB and the '59 with the other solid guitars.

Last edited:
Last time i ever bought something from Guitar Center was back in 2006.... and i promised my self never again. Been buying a lot of stuff happily ever after.

Friend of mine pre-ordered his from Sweetwater and he says his is due tomorrow as well. I AM JEALOUS.

I vowed that this would be my graduation present to myself. My graduation is in May, and I was kind of assuming that these wouldn't ship until around April, so I wouldn't have to be tortured for too long. Looks like it's gonna be a rough 4 months.

Sweetwater also has them in stock now, wish they had photos and weights up already. Do SE tops differ by much?

Back