Zach Myers adjustable tailpiece - what/why?

Bahnzo

I got one of these used, my first time with a PRS, and taking it apart and restringing it, I noticed the tailpiece/bridge has these two adjustable screws for moving the bridge backwards/forwards on the studs.

I'm wondering why and what effect this has? I can assume this minutely changes the scale length, but other than that I can't think of what purpose this would serve.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Thanks!

This. Once you try intonating, yourself, you'll see the value in the "coarse adjustment".

I have to admit, I find it a little puzzling actually. Shouldn't a correctly built guitar (and I'm seriously not trying to start something here) not need a "coarse adjustment" for intonation? Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had a need for this on any of my guitars with stop tailpieces/bridges. A ToM-style bridge has always been more than adequate for intonation for me.

And I actually wonder if those screws could actually cause a change with tone or sustain? Consider: the bridge isn't fully connected to the two studs (which in turn are connected to the body) but instead is sitting on those two small screws.

At the latest when you start to downtune and put on really heavy strings you will find that amount of adjustability veeeery useful.

Especially on one my Les Pauls that is tuned to Drop A (13-74 gauge) i had to struggle getting the intonation right because two saddles where at the end of their adjustment range...

I have to admit, I find it a little puzzling actually. Shouldn't a correctly built guitar (and I'm seriously not trying to start something here) not need a "coarse adjustment" for intonation? Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had a need for this on any of my guitars with stop tailpieces/bridges. A ToM-style bridge has always been more than adequate for intonation for me.

And I actually wonder if those screws could actually cause a change with tone or sustain? Consider: the bridge isn't fully connected to the two studs (which in turn are connected to the body) but instead is sitting on those two small screws.
You're absolutely right. You shouldn't need it.

I should've said, "the first time you need it and have it to utilize, then you will realize the value of having it." Because you're absolutely right -- with standard tuning, and things like installing new strings, you won't need to much about with intonation at all.

It's a nice-to-have, though.

Back