Your vote matters

Is it a...

• Total voters
giphy.gif

I use both...frequently. When assisting others, we "block their trem"...and I have helped a few fit the correct "Whammy Bar"...
So definitely both.

I voted "Wang" only because I just watched an interview with Neil Young and that's what he called it. I had never heard it called that until then. But if Neil calls it that I have to.

When I'm feelling pedantic, which is quite often, I use vibrato. If I'm just "slangin" around, then Whammy.

While this is a VERY common ( see poll results) to hear it called a tremolo, its a vibrato. If you look up the definitions, you’ll find that tremelo is volume variation, while vibrato is pitch variation. The interesting thing to me has always been that when people do it with their fingers, everyone calls it vibrato, but when done with the bar, many call it tremelo.
Agreed.

And I find Tremolo effects pedals basically useless, unless playing a Smiths cover.

Agreed.

And I find Tremolo effects pedals basically useless, unless playing a Smiths cover.

Yes, what does the tremolo on a classic fender amp do? Volume manipulations - swell/fade/swell/fade. The vibrato bar bends the pitch, flat to return or even sharp. Wiggling it creates vibrato, not tremolo.

p.s. Tremolo also quite useful for Money (Floyd). :)

I voted whammy cuz I cut my musical teeth in the 80s. You don’t dive bomb on a tremolo!
I used to say whammy bar, but maybe due to my reduction in divebombing I have switched to "trem" or "tremolo". Even though technically it should be vibrato.

and the small print: Nobody has the trem, but lots of guys think they do. All guys have the wiggle stick. ;)

Tremolo is simply incorrect. Tremolo is a cyclical variation in amplitude not pitch. Whammy is onomatopoeic/descriptive and much cooler!

I actually heard one yesterday I’d never heard. Davy Knowles called it a “wobble stick”.

Back