Your top R&D priority for Paul? Mine is ...

Custom 24 with pattern neck, dgt vvt set up, 58/15 lt pickups, and 2 coil tap mini-switches. That would make my millennium! Doesn’t even have to be a ten top...but, it would be a blue nitro finish!

Mine? Would love to see Paul consider these:

1. Limit the use of mini toggle coil splitting system to only just Paul's Guitar. I think this system sounds great but not intuitive for live situation and PRS now offering too many models equipped with it.
2. Make core CU24 hardtail model, with Holcomb style bridge because in real life majority of CU24 users don't use tremolo so often. So many manufacturers are now offering hardtail version on their earlier-trem-equipped as alternative now.
3. Bring back some hot pickups that have been discontinued like Dragon II and HFS because it doesn't make sense that almost all non-signature models come equipped with vintage tone pickups. Also, majority of PRS customers don't buy core Floyd CU24 model, so PRS should offer some way out for customers who prefer high output pups equipped guitars without going either signature or Floyd models.
4. Beautiful figured wood is becoming scarcer and I begin to see 10 top guitars with incredibly less figures more and more often. PRS R&D should find some solution to not relying the company earnings too heavily on wood figuring like it has been, but instead create something more sustainable to offer as substitute - be it some kind of synthesized material, I don't know. I just concern about company's future of material sources.

One simple request: Please stop with the push-pull pots and use mini-toggles instead. Customers would rejoice.

Yup. I'm hooked on the mini toggles now. The push-pull pots are really clunky to use by comparison. I would not mind at all if they were standard on all PRS models going forward.

I have been working on R&D for the optimal number and configuration of mini-toggles.
I will let you know my results soon....

Core Baritone model.

27.7" scale, Mahogany or Korina body, Maple top, Maple neck, RW fingerboard, Fishman Fluence pickups, Piezo, Adjustable Stoptail, 1 Vol, 1 Tone, 3-way Switch, mixed hardware.

I think the Silver Sky could benefit from some upgrades. I would love to see translucent finishes (maybe to show off some swamp ash) and flame maple neck with abalone birds. Maybe even a HSS option with a 57/08 in the bridge.
Ash is going extinct, and what's left is very difficult to harvest, so it would be foolish for any company to be planning an ash guitar at this point.

Ash is going extinct, and what's left is very difficult to harvest, so it would be foolish for any company to be planning an ash guitar at this point.

I feel like I see Swamp ash backs on PRS all the time, so either it is different than regular ash or they have a sweet stash they are burning through. Hopefully it is the former!

I feel like I see Swamp ash backs on PRS all the time, so either it is different than regular ash or they have a sweet stash they are burning through. Hopefully it is the former!
Swamp ash is different.
I don’t know if it is subject to the same creature that bores under the bark of regular ash.

Mine? Would love to see Paul consider these:

1. Limit the use of mini toggle coil splitting system to only just Paul's Guitar. I think this system sounds great but not intuitive for live situation and PRS now offering too many models equipped with it.
2. Make core CU24 hardtail model, with Holcomb style bridge because in real life majority of CU24 users don't use tremolo so often. So many manufacturers are now offering hardtail version on their earlier-trem-equipped as alternative now.
3. Bring back some hot pickups that have been discontinued like Dragon II and HFS because it doesn't make sense that almost all non-signature models come equipped with vintage tone pickups. Also, majority of PRS customers don't buy core Floyd CU24 model, so PRS should offer some way out for customers who prefer high output pups equipped guitars without going either signature or Floyd models.
4. Beautiful figured wood is becoming scarcer and I begin to see 10 top guitars with incredibly less figures more and more often. PRS R&D should find some solution to not relying the company earnings too heavily on wood figuring like it has been, but instead create something more sustainable to offer as substitute - be it some kind of synthesized material, I don't know. I just concern about company's future of material sources.

Its interesting how the Nu-metal and hard rock of the 90s/00s is what put PRS on the map, yet they've gone away from those hotter pickups to more vintage pickups.

Besides more pickup options and offering a one or two piece fixed bridge on custom models, id say the biggest thing they could do is add a 3 way toggle to the custom 24. I like the tones of the 5 way blade switch, but I feel like the CE24 and standard McCarty 3 way toggle switch has a more realistic application for most people.

Swamp ash is different.
I don’t know if it is subject to the same creature that bores under the bark of regular ash.

As Al P. would say....they have some “Great Ash!!!”

Back